Oil Additive Scams - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-17-2004, 06:58 PM   #1
Kalos
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1733
What I Drive: '04 SVT, Silver

FF Reputation: 1 Kalos Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thumbs down Oil Additive Scams

Found this interesting summary at http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/legal/index.html.
All of the following additives scams have been ordered by the FTC and courts to stop making claims. Some are heavily fined. Are they out of business ? Nope - there are still enough suckers to go around...

Slick-50
Dura-Lube
Motor-Up
Castrol Syntec Power Solution (!)
Prolong
Shell Velkron 3000 PEP (!)
Valvoline TM8 (!)
ZMax Power System

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2004, 12:25 AM   #2
uniquezx3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 15407
What I Drive: 2001 black zx3 auto

FF Reputation: 1 uniquezx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Re: Oil Additive Scams

Quote:
Originally posted by Kalos
Found this interesting summary at http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/legal/index.html.
All of the following additives scams have been ordered by the FTC and courts to stop making claims. Some are heavily fined. Are they out of business ? Nope - there are still enough suckers to go around...

Slick-50
Dura-Lube
Motor-Up
Castrol Syntec Power Solution (!)
Prolong
Shell Velkron 3000 PEP (!)
Valvoline TM8 (!)
ZMax Power System

I read the rest of that article. it goes on say that, higher octane gas isnt better for your car, the above additives dont do crap and sometimes hurt more than help, and that splitfire plugs are crap...wierd...
Old 12-18-2004, 03:16 AM   #3
MISVTfocus
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 13841
What I Drive: 08 Fusion SEL, Focus ST on order

FF Reputation: 1 MISVTfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
yeah, not a reliable source though. And the thing about the gas says "if you dont have a high compression car." well isnt that why that make premium gas, I mean most cars do take regular...
Old 12-18-2004, 04:19 AM   #4
03Z_ex_Three
Focus Addict

Fan#: 45
What I Drive: Liquid Grey 03 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 03Z_ex_Three Good Standing Member
Why put an additive in your car anyway? Just use synthetic, thats what I do. Synthetic is proven to help protect your engin, and by the way I drive, I need it.
Old 12-18-2004, 06:13 PM   #5
Egz
Sückn' n Blown

Fan#: 442
What I Drive: 2003 2.3l ZX3

FF Reputation: 111 Egz Excellent Standing Member Egz Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
If the car was designed for 87, run 87. Higher octanes are for high compression engines, forced induction, or engines with agressive spark timing. Its to prevent early detonation, aka pinging.

As for SplitFire or +4 plugs, their only benefit is that it may last a little longer. The spark can only go to one of the points at a time, (not all at one shot), so its not giving you a better spark.

duratec.wikispaces.com - Duratec Wiki - Sign up and contribute!
Old 12-19-2004, 05:13 PM   #6
Toolman00
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2744
What I Drive: 2000 Ford Expedition XLT 4x4

FF Reputation: 3 Toolman00 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I'll have to report when I put my Motor Silk engine oil additive in. I've heard reports from other people who swear by the stuff, and I figure it won't hurt. We'll see.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:28 PM   #7
DrRay
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 14474
What I Drive: A car

FF Reputation: 1 DrRay Good Standing Member
Additives are a marketing business that relies on perception and suggestion.
Give 100 people 50ml of 10W30 oil and tell them that it is a secret formula that will improve performance, 30 people will swear on a stack of bibles that it improves performance. Show them any data that says otherwise, they will cognitavely deny it. This has been going on for 40 years.

People believe what they want to believe, that's how additive companies make money.

Even with oil, there are differences, "significant" differences (statistical term that is misinterpreted), but rarely important real differences. Often, the data supplied by manufacturers is impossible to interpret because they either generated it themselves, or they won't tell you exactly how the measurements were done.

Take standard motor oil, add in dye, trace amounts of some cool-sounding chemical compound, package and market with hype, make money, just make sure it does no harm (lawsuits). The same guys do it over and over.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.