Auto-Dim/Homelink Mirror - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-07-2013, 05:46 PM   #1
Clump
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 119097
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black SE 5 door

FF Reputation: 1 Clump Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Auto-Dim/Homelink Mirror

1 of the things I really missed about my old car was the auto-dim mirror. Flipping that little knob when lights were glaring at me was such a burden!

I bought a Gentex 313 mirror on ebay. The seller is camsmirrors and I highly recommend him - I paid $77.50 to my door and he included the installation kit and Homelink guide. The mirror on my '13 SE is mounted pretty low on the windshield (7" from the top) and the wire cover was too short, a couple of emails later he sent me the correct cover.

I used the info from this thread http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...ghlight=mirror

Post 29 from garyd covered it perfectly, my wire colors even matched, but I did test them first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyd9 View Post
On my job2 2013 Ti, I couldn't find a harness/plug in the headliner for an auto-dimming mirror.

My Gentex autodimming mirror (with homelink) had three wires: ground, constant 12v (homelink) and ACC (ignition) 12v. I was able to wire all three into the moonroof MOTOR harness.

If you pull out the plastic upper console (that contains the sunglass holder, moonroof switch, etc), and look up into the roof (assuming you have a moonroof), you should see a gray connector that plugs in facing the passenger side of the car.

The BLACK wire (heavier gauge, thin white stripe) is ground.

The white wire (thinner gauge) is accessory power and turns off immediately with ignition.

In one corner of the connector, there's a heavier gauge orange wire (forget the stripe and I didn't get photos) that's constant power.

TEST ALL OF THIS BEFORE TAPPING ANYTHING!!!!!!

Get a cheap multimeter... you shouldn't be messing with wires without one. Learn how to check for 11-15 volts DC. Test everything you read on these websites. Don't tap wires unless you've seen for yourself what they do.

If you don't have a moonroof, It's possible you still have the harness and plug. Check and see... if you do, it's a great source for the mirror.
The hardest part was fishing the wires through with my sausage like fingers. It works great and the Homelink got the garage door opener off of my visor. Total install time about 1 hour.

Finished product:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2013, 06:10 PM   #2
rjhansen
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 117983
What I Drive: 2014 Sterling Gray SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 rjhansen Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Might have to steal this idea. Thanks for the write up!

Bookmarks & Social Networks