High Idle After Fueling - Page 5 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-26-2013, 09:59 AM   #41
spiller
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 75607
What I Drive: 11 Sangria SE sed, 01 Wht SE Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 spiller Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Inspection is to remove and apply suction to the vacuum port. If you do not feel the cost of a new one is too much, go ahead and replace. (Don't ask for a real commitmentment since I am not looking at your car with my own eyes.)
I am still concerned about some of your comments about the engine teperature, especial the heater output. Someone suggested to pull the thermostat housing to inspect it and the thermostat. Hope you have an opportunity to do that too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2013, 11:32 AM   #42
MTB79
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 114244
FF Reputation: 1 MTB79 Good Standing Member
I am planning on getting the thermostat and housing out this weekend, I need to find a guide that shows how to do it. Does it involve draining the coolant off?
Old 09-26-2013, 02:20 PM   #43
spiller
Focus Enthusiast

Yes, you will drain the coolant. If its not that old you can re-use the coolant or its a great time to do the flush and refill as well.
I thought there was a sticky on the Complete How To page http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=65218
but guess not. But under the Information articles choose the Testing the Thermostat and then choose the link "That's covered in this article."
I use a Haynes manual to help keep me on procedure, though I usually have researched elsewhere in case someone has posted good hints on how I should "hold my mouth."

A common failure is the gasket between the block and the Thermstat housing. Oil leaks off the valve cover lead to the O-ring swealing and failing, somethimes blowing out the structure inside. Excess heat can detreriate the glass-filled plastic of the housing, but that requires extreme heat. Check availibility and cost of those parts before you begin so you will be ready for bad news there. A new housing should come with the O-ring or you may only need an O-Ring. (Always replace gaskets if you have disassembled a gasket-joint.)
Old 09-26-2013, 03:06 PM   #44
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Better yet, if you're replacing the thermostat housing, replace it with the "old style" OEM housing that was sold on Zetecs prior to the MK1 Focus. They seem to last longer.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:20 PM   #45
Leora83
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 69136
What I Drive: 2003 ZX5 chrome yellow

FF Reputation: 1 Leora83 Good Standing Member
The thermostat housing is fairly straightforward. If you loosen the coolant cap first to relieve the pressure, you only lose a liter or so of coolant out the block, in case you didn't want to do a full drain. Obviously, don't do this until the car has cooled off.
Don't drive too far until you get the overheating solved!

The FPR sounds like it's leaking at the hose or inlet fitting, so have a good look at the hose before you replace the FPR. It would suck to put in a new part and find out all you needed to replace was the hose.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:35 AM   #46
MTB79
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Ok, I might just replace it regardless.

One thing, my cooling system never seems to have any pressure, I take the expansion cap of and there is only the very slightest hiss if anything at all, is that normal?
Old 09-27-2013, 02:00 AM   #47
spiller
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTB79 View Post
Ok, I might just replace it regardless.

One thing, my cooling system never seems to have any pressure, I take the expansion cap of and there is only the very slightest hiss if anything at all, is that normal?
No. That indicates there is leak in the system. While it may not cause much fluid loss, it can lead to poor cooling performance and even (because of the boiling) hinder the flow of coolant.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:06 AM   #48
MTB79
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Strange, the coolant hasn't moved even slightly for months, its always sat dead on the max fill line. Could the expansion tank cap be faulty?

The expansion tank fluid is rarely very hot either, even after driving a while.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:53 AM   #49
jims shadetree
Focus Addict

Fan#: 116036
What I Drive: 2013 tuxedo black 5 spd hatch se

FF Reputation: 1 jims shadetree Good Standing Member
If I had the cash n time I would hunt u down n fix ur car cause its driving me crazy wanting to find out what the hell it is....O'Reilly has a cooling system pressure tester in there rental tool program....most will let u use it in there parking lot...would at least help find the pressure loss.n check cap....
Hatch nation #66
Gettin my kicks on route 66!
Old 09-27-2013, 09:11 AM   #50
spiller
Focus Enthusiast

Shadetree, Road Trip to ?
I had a 1st gen Neon that had a cracked radiator top. It was a hairline crack that I happened to catch accidentally.
MTB79, you probably have a similiar issue. Someting besides a hose, maybe the cap, maybe the radiator. But surely something near the highest point in the cooling system.
A cooling system tester that applies pressure to the system so you can look for a leak, like looking for a tire puncture.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->