High Idle After Fueling - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-25-2013, 05:35 PM   #31
jims shadetree
Focus Addict

Fan#: 116036
What I Drive: 2013 tuxedo black 5 spd hatch se

FF Reputation: 1 jims shadetree Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Is that fuel pressure regulator?if it is could be hearing that bleeding off into return line...
Hatch nation #66
Gettin my kicks on route 66!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2013, 06:00 PM   #32
MTB79
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 114244
FF Reputation: 1 MTB79 Good Standing Member
Ah right, probably unrelated then?

Should I be seeing coolant returning into the expansion tank when the engine is running? As its just completely static.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:07 PM   #33
spiller
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 75607
What I Drive: 11 Sangria SE sed, 01 Wht SE Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 spiller Good Standing Member
Fuel Pressure Regulator: Receives vacuum from intake manifold. Two Different failures could occur where it bleeds excess air back to the manifold or excess air and fuel back to the manifold. If there is fuel in the vacuum line you should replace both the hose and regulator.
Coolant resevoir should not get very hot since it provides an overflow for the cooling system and where the cooling system will draw coolant from when it cools. The level in the resevoir may change from engine-cold to engine hot, but if it changes from engine-cold-hot-cold, then there is a leak in the system. Most older resevoirs have scaling in them that can make it difficult to get a clear read on coolant level.

I think I see the light for the high idle! But this may big a big difference between a 1.6L (europe, UK build Zetec) and the US 2L Zetec. So please follow up on any success you have... (I don't want to add more in case I have a herring.)

Last edited by spiller; 09-25-2013 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Suggestion update
Old 09-25-2013, 11:13 PM   #34
Leora83
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 69136
What I Drive: 2003 ZX5 chrome yellow

FF Reputation: 1 Leora83 Good Standing Member
Ah, that could be your high idle--fuel pressure regulator failure. The hissing could well be a vacuum leak either in the hose or valve. Possibly exacerbated by refueling...though that still seems unlikely if you were only filling halfway.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:28 AM   #35
MTB79
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Thanks all for your input. I need to get fuel on the way to work today, so will do it at the station near my house and then if it is fine after there I will know the high idle is spiked by temperature instead of the fueling process.

Should I not be seeing coolant returning to the reservoir when the engine is on? I know I could with my old VW Golf.

Also, any idea why after the engine got hot, and the idle rose up, that it started smoking badly?

I had the PCV hose under the inlet manifold replaced a while ago as it was split, I double checked that and it looks like rather than replace the assembly that they have cut some hose themselves to make one, I was wondering if its the wrong grade hose and once hot is prone to collapse. Although during my experiment yesterday it seemed fine.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:43 AM   #36
MTB79
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Oh, and on the fuel pressure regulator, the air like noise seems to be coming from the black plastic bit and the bend in the pipe rather than the metal part. The plastic bit seems to fit quite loose.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:46 AM   #37
spiller
Focus Enthusiast

I'm pretty sure your temp issue is seperate from the high idle, and should be a bigger concern since it can lead to more serious damage.
A Speculation: Under normal operation you should have negative pressure develope in the tank. When you add fuel the pressure is equalized allowing the suction at a failed FPR to allow more effect. As pressure continues to drop in the tank, less air will be drawn through that vacuum hoose. A full fill will decrease the time for normal idle to be achieved. If near empty, you open the gas cap but add no fuel, you should still switch back to the high idle, but will take longer to return to normal.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:30 AM   #38
MTB79
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

But why would the high idle kick in when been stuck in traffic and the car getting very hot? It starts running very rich as well at this point (well I presume that this is what the excessive exhaust smoking is). Even coming out of the traffic and having a clear run doesn't resolve it, only turning it off and letting it cool right down stops it.

I put fuel in this morning, but whilst the car was relatively cold and this time only got minor idle issues as when compared to when the car gets very hot or if I refuel after driving for a while.

Last edited by MTB79; 09-26-2013 at 08:28 AM.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:48 AM   #39
spiller
Focus Enthusiast

After the engine warms up and certain drive cycle conditions have been met, the EVAP system purges the charcoal canister by creating a open vacuum circuit to the tank.
Smoke (black) is the rich condition from excess fuel from the vacuum supply to the regulator.
When the engine is cold, the ECU is trying to run rich, but doesn't need to run injectors open as normal because the O2 sensors show rich. Once hot, the ECU tries to lean out but the minimum modulation for a running state keeps it rich when combined with the FPR leak.
Excessive smoke will eventually lead to performance or failure issues of the O2 sensors.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:28 AM   #40
MTB79
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Ok, so best bet is for me to replace the FPR and see what happens from there?

Bookmarks & Social Networks