Brake Trouble! Help! - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-30-2013, 03:06 PM   #11
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 52 felixthecat Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiller View Post
The Ton Ring is a coponent used in the ABS system. It works with the wheel speed sensor and is the actual item the speed sensor picks up the wheels RPM is determined.
It mounts on the hub between the hub and spindle.
(You can find a diagram on www.FordParts.com)
>>>>>>>>>>This^^^^^^^^^^^^
[QUOTE=Leora83;4888836]Was the wheel cylinder on the right rear changed? They sometimes leak at the boot.

The screeching makes me think your bearing is crap, despite being new. Pull the drum off and spin the wheel forward and backward. If you hear grinding, it's your bearing. PS your mechanic should know this!

Your car doesn't "burn" brake fluid--if it's low, it's leaked out somewhere, either during the repair process (which you'd expect the mechanic to notice and replace) or after (when you've just had all the brakes serviced? That's not good!). Either way, your mechanic is missing something he shouldn't.

>>>>>>>>>>This^^^^^^^^^^^
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2013, 03:25 PM   #12
FocusKnot
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 117505
What I Drive: 2004 Red SE Wagon 2.0 Zetec Auto

FF Reputation: 3 FocusKnot Good Standing Member
Hmmmm....

Reading through this it makes me wonder if the noises and the brake fluid loss are related.

What if brake fluid is leaking onto the shoes at the right rear where the noise is heard?
Old 09-30-2013, 03:35 PM   #13
spiller
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 75607
What I Drive: 11 Sangria SE sed, 01 Wht SE Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 spiller Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusKnot View Post
Hmmmm....
Reading through this it makes me wonder if the noises and the brake fluid loss are related.
What if brake fluid is leaking onto the shoes at the right rear where the noise is heard?
The Drum needs to be pulled for inspection of several items. I am not sure I can reconcile a fluid leak onto the drums and that wheel locking up... but I've (finally) accepted that I can still be surprised.
I know my RR slave cylinder has a small leak when I got new drums w/bearings installed. I still haven't had any ill affects from it, but I've had a master cylinder fail on a Maverick while driving. So a mere slave-cylinder is no worry to me
Old 09-30-2013, 07:08 PM   #14
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
'I am not sure I can reconcile a fluid leak onto the drums and that wheel locking up'

Be sure of it, seen it fifty times over the years. Brake fluid on pad material often makes it lose the coefficient of friction needed there, instead of slowly rising pressure increasing brake, it does nothing because the fluid allows slip, then suddenly at some point the pressure finally so high it digs in and locks up the part. Or sudden lockup with no in between braking, BTDT. A major indicator of fluid leaked on friction parts........
Old 09-30-2013, 08:26 PM   #15
spiller
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 75607
What I Drive: 11 Sangria SE sed, 01 Wht SE Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 spiller Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc49 View Post
'I am not sure I can reconcile a fluid leak onto the drums and that wheel locking up'

Be sure of it, seen it fifty times over the years. Brake fluid on pad material often makes it lose the coefficient of friction needed there, instead of slowly rising pressure increasing brake, it does nothing because the fluid allows slip, then suddenly at some point the pressure finally so high it digs in and locks up the part. Or sudden lockup with no in between braking, BTDT. A major indicator of fluid leaked on friction parts........

...and then I say "oh duh."
Old 09-30-2013, 09:27 PM   #16
Leora83
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 69136
What I Drive: 2003 ZX5 chrome yellow

FF Reputation: 1 Leora83 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiller View Post

...and then I say "oh duh."
Ha, I edited my reply because I originally typed that the fluid could cause the wheel to grind, then I thought, No, surely not, it would just make the shoe slip and eventually disintegrate.

You and I can say "oh duh" together.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:42 AM   #17
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Got one even better, you can recover shoes or pads that have brake fluid leaked into them if you do it quick enough. Of course rest of planet says no, but I don't listen. They work fine when done.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:59 AM   #18
FocusKnot
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 117505
What I Drive: 2004 Red SE Wagon 2.0 Zetec Auto

FF Reputation: 3 FocusKnot Good Standing Member
The reason I brought this up was because I had this happen to me on my '54 Ford. It was the right front drum. It made an awful noise and pulled hard right. Scared the dickens out of me when it happened and almost made me run off the road. My older brother helped me rebuild both front cylinders (I was just 15 at the time) and all was well after that...didn't replace the shoes either.

To KRSNOLA:
I would do both rear cylinders. If one has failed, the other one is probably not far behind. Good time for a brake flush too. I use DOT4 as it is less hygroscopic than DOT3. DOT 5.1 is not worth the cost unless you are racing.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:08 PM   #19
amc49
Focus Fanatic

These cars for some reason eat rear wheel cylinders on drums. Maybe the dust off semi-metallic pads is rougher to get in and break seal to leak. I commonly simply clean them out and put back together to go back to perfect running on other cars but not on these, the parts are simply too eroded to use over.

Bookmarks & Social Networks