Focus S 5 speed - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-17-2013, 11:17 PM   #11
scott7278
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100021
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 5 scott7278 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevys View Post
Well, that is what I am thinking also. Little better ride, more room, little more power for the big hills ect... Yet, it still gets awefully good gas mileage to boot. Once you get up in the mid to high 30's whats a mpg here or there. I do wish the focus had a bigger gas tank though. Seems tiny for the size of the car.
It's really not bad at all...I routinely get around 440 miles or so a tank. I was lucky to approach 400 with a 17-gallon tank in my old Grand Prix.

I guess the engineers decided an extra 30 lbs of gas (excluding materials) would be too much...

Sent from my HTC One using FF Mobile 4.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2013, 11:27 PM   #12
scott7278
Focus Addict

Quote:
Its been sometime ago but I read a few complaints about the 5 speeds being geared too low at highway speeds. They need a 6 speed badly imo. I have a hard time understanding why there is such a difference in high gear but I am sure the engineers have their reasons.
That's the only setback...I run about 2500 RPM at 70 mph with DCT, while the manual runs about 2900. Of course, you have the durability of the manual (my clutch pack has been replaced under warranty).

Old 09-17-2013, 11:40 PM   #13
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott7278 View Post
That's the only setback...I run about 2500 RPM at 70 mph with DCT, while the manual runs about 2900. Of course, you have the durability of the manual (my clutch pack has been replaced under warranty).

The DCT is closer to 2600 rpm at 70, based on calculating the gear ratios and tire rolling radius vs looking at the tach in test mode for an accurate representation down to the single rpm fluctuation it was around 2563 with the 17" or 18" wheels up to 2626 on paper with the 15" wheels and the DCT, in reality it was similar.

The 5MT would be ~3000 with 15" wheels down to around 2935 with the 17 or 18" wheels.

The MMT6 in the ST falls somewhere in the middle with a calculated engine speed of around 2642, and an actual speed closer to 2700 rpm at 70 mph.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:27 AM   #14
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 10 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
There is not enough gold at Fort Knox to make me want or let alone pay extra for the DCT or MFT. No offense to you guys but they both suck...

Unbelievable...
Old 09-18-2013, 12:48 AM   #15
fiveofocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 60237
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus SFE

FF Reputation: 1 fiveofocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Anybody have one of these and what are your thoughts? They have some rebates in my area now and these are only 800 more than the base Fiesta. I just need a point A to B car that is reliable. I dont care about options or what it looks like as these kinds of cars are like appliances to me.

I need to know if there are any problem areas to be aware of with the base package. Thanks.
before I purchased my 2013 Focus in April I won a 2013 Fiesta S in Feb.....

Needless to say I did drive it for a month.... I ran to the focus after a Month of driving it...

Way smaller on the inside I was always touching elbows with my passenger.

no keyless entry just using my key and turning it twice to unlock all the doors!!

no storage space besides glove box!!!!

no power windows!!! even fronts are great on a focus S

40 Less HP and that 1.6 Revs so high to get up to speed no matter where u go city or highway

Small gas tank!!!!

and no matter what I think the focus beats it MPG as many of us have exceeded 40 MPG during highway driving...

Sorry for the rant I just had to get out how much of a better deal is a Focus S vs Fiesta S
Old 09-18-2013, 12:50 AM   #16
scott7278
Focus Addict

No need to be sorry...I think that helps anyone who would read this thread.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:16 AM   #17
fiveofocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 60237
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus SFE

FF Reputation: 1 fiveofocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
thanks scott! I think its funny when you sit down and compare they barley give any cash back on fiestas compared to Focus as well. Most I've ever seen on a fiesta is like 1,000 yet when I bought my focus I got $3,000 cash back!!!
Old 09-18-2013, 07:06 AM   #18
chevys
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 51429
What I Drive: 03 Mach 1

FF Reputation: 1 chevys Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveofocus View Post
before I purchased my 2013 Focus in April I won a 2013 Fiesta S in Feb.....

Needless to say I did drive it for a month.... I ran to the focus after a Month of driving it...

Way smaller on the inside I was always touching elbows with my passenger.

no keyless entry just using my key and turning it twice to unlock all the doors!!

no storage space besides glove box!!!!

no power windows!!! even fronts are great on a focus S

40 Less HP and that 1.6 Revs so high to get up to speed no matter where u go city or highway

Small gas tank!!!!

and no matter what I think the focus beats it MPG as many of us have exceeded 40 MPG during highway driving...

Sorry for the rant I just had to get out how much of a better deal is a Focus S vs Fiesta S
Thanks for your imput. This is very helpful. Focus seems to be the way to go.

One quick question for you guys. Can cruise control be added on the S model? Its the only thing I would really like to have. Thanks.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:31 PM   #19
focusstu
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103157
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White Focus S 5MT

FF Reputation: 2 focusstu Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I have a 2012 Focus S 5 speed that I that had 1750 miles on it when I bought it a year ago. It now has about 6000 miles. I have not had any troubles with it except for a window switch that was fixed under warranty. I have also complained about warm air coming out of the vents when the a/c is off but the weather is cool. Otherwise no problems and I have never enjoyed a car more than this one. It is fun to drive, great shifter, good clutch, plenty fast, good ride, relatively quiet, and comfortable. I do agree that the revs are a little high in fifth gear (about 2900 at 70 mph). The upside of that is that the car has a lot of pep at highway speeds, and it is still pretty quiet for an economy car. I get about 34 mpg (actual calculated) at 72-75 mph (no cruise control). The ride on the S seems better than the SE because of the 15" tires. I put SE 16" alloys on the car, and you can tell the difference.

The only thing I really miss is cruise control, but I bought a Rostra cruise control that I have not installed yet. That said, the S is a little austere. Only 1 trip odometer, no USB port, no Sync, no steering wheel controls, no multi-function display or trip computer, steel wheels, no cruise, etc. (Apparently less to go wrong too!) The rebates for the SE are much better than for an S, which puts the price about $1,000 apart for the sedan. For that difference, I would buy an SE if I was buying new. On Autotrader it looks like the premium for a used SE over a used S is even less.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #20
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
The 2013+ Focus S is available with sync as an option now.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->