2000 SPI Serious Oil Leak! - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > SPI Performance (2000-2004)

SPI Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Split Port Injection engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-17-2013, 07:12 PM   #1
rnewscates
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97162
What I Drive: 2000 Focus SPI, 1978 Lotus Esprit

FF Reputation: 1 rnewscates Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2000 SPI Serious Oil Leak!

I got a Focus SPI from a shop with the head missing - I pulled out the block and put it on a stand and cleaned it and lightly honed the cylinders and found #1 piston broken and the rod bent - I used new pistons and rings and replaced the main and rod bearings (the old ones looked unworn at 115K!) and installed a rebuilt / corrected head, and of course new oil pump gasket, water pump, idlers, belts and seals (cam and front and rear mains) and used a new FelPro PermaDry oil pan gasket installed dry / clean with dabs of RTV at the transition points from block to carriers and torqued in stages to spec, and then RTV'd the front and rear crevices as well the next day. Installed the engine, starts and runs great - I have put over 250 miles on it, no overheating : but it has a bad oil leak at both the front and rear of the engine - I mean real bad! I am torn between just dropping the pan and cleaning it up and reinstalling it with just RTV as has been posted as Ford factory advice, or using "The Right Stuff" (an expanding urethane sealant in a pressurized tube like Gorilla Glue, works great), or yank the engine out and stand it again and really tackle it. I have to think the main seals are proper, I have never had trouble with Ford seals once I got them installed, and that thus it must be the pan seal and worth a try in situ - any ideas or suggestions?? Bob Scates, Springfield, VA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2013, 06:44 AM   #2
tryingtofixthis
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 118287
What I Drive: 00 blue FF, 91 black Volks Jetta

FF Reputation: 1 tryingtofixthis Good Standing Member
Soumds to me like.you didnt use enough rtv, you got to lay.a lime out to.make a gasket not just the transition points
Old 09-18-2013, 02:35 PM   #3
poppop
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 59702
What I Drive: 2001,Red,LX

FF Reputation: 2 poppop Good Standing Member
Built a dozen of these SPI's,only place I put rtv is at the transition points.Never had a leak.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:07 PM   #4
tryingtofixthis
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 118287
What I Drive: 00 blue FF, 91 black Volks Jetta

FF Reputation: 1 tryingtofixthis Good Standing Member
My bad misread it thought you where using rtv solo, best guess is a warped pan or block if thats wjere you believe the leak iscoming from
Old 09-18-2013, 04:09 PM   #5
rnewscates
Focus Rookie

OK I pulled the engine out today before work, I have it on a stand, so tomorrow morning I will see what I have. I have more RTV and also a can of The Right Stuff, so I should be able to deal with the (cast aluminum) oil pan, one way or another, if I can be sure it is not a seal that is leaking. Thanks for all the replies! Bob Scates
Old 09-19-2013, 04:23 PM   #6
rnewscates
Focus Rookie

There is oil on the front of the engine above the oil pan, I tightened the oil pump bolts a wee bit, and took off the timing belt pulleys and cleaned around the crank and cam seals and then used rtv to seal around the seal outsides (both seals are new and installed correctly). I did notice there was oil in the cam pulley bolt hole - do I need to use thread blocker on the bolt? On the rear of the engine there was definately oil at the seal to crankshaft area, so I took the seal carrier off and installed a FelPro orange seal, RTV'd the seal to carrier edge, and reistalled it with gasket and RTV, being careful to keep it centered as I tightened the carrier bolts. Also I noticed the crank to flex plate bolt holes are not blind, I do need to use thread blocker when I put the flex plate back on. I have the engine upside down now - tomorrow morning I will be putting the oil pan back on, I have a new Ford gasket for that, and I will use black RTV on both sides of it to be on the safe side. I should be able to reinstall the engine tomorrow, and see what happens! Bob Scates

Bookmarks & Social Networks