Resolving A Slight Engine Misfire? - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-17-2013, 10:16 AM   #1
tdfuller
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 62403
What I Drive: 2002 Grey Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 tdfuller Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Resolving A Slight Engine Misfire?

2002 Ford Focus SE - Zetec 16 Valve DOHC - 89,500 miles:

For the last five days: has had an occassional engine misfire during accelerations and sometimes during idle.

What are some of the usual culprits?

I don't see anything under FAQ/Archives, here are some details:
  • I replaced the plugs and plug wires with Motorcraft yesterday (first time) which greatly reduced the frequency and severity of the misfires but has not eliminated it.
  • Two weeks ago I replaced the fuel filter with a Motorcraft
  • Two weeks ago I changed transmission fluid, filter, and filter gasket
  • Two weeks ago I thoroughly washed the car, including the engine compartment, being careful not to spray the air filter housing, fuse box, and battery. The manual doesn't say to cover the spark plug covers. I found some water dribbling out of at least one of the old spark plug covers when I removed it from the top of the plug!
  • The old plugs definitely had some moisture, some gunk, and quite a bit of corrosion that was likely contributing to the misfire.

I filled up the Focus with a full tank of gas five days ago, just before the misfires started at a different gas station than I usually go to -> Is it possible in 2013 to still get "bad" gas that can cause misfires?

Should I go ahead and replace the ignition coil?

Thanks for any tips.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2013, 10:51 AM   #2
calebstubstad
Chef Boyardee

Fan#: 103240
What I Drive: 2000 Atlantic Blue LX

FF Reputation: 4 calebstubstad Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
my SPI was misfiring bad for awhile, like, couldn't accelerate at all due to it. I had replaced the plugs and that fixed it greatly, but the ultimate culprit ended up being the coil pack. check for cracks on it, etc, and you will know. don't do what I did and take it in, it's a super easy fix, and cheap if you can find a used one in a scrap yard/ebay. literally unscrew it and unplug a few things, and reverse to put it back in. this should help, and if not, the problems will be worse, but atleast youll know
Rally Revolution #43
[HOONIGAN]
Quote:
Originally Posted by matmatician View Post
Not the bear the zoo deserves, but the bear the zoo needs.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:47 PM   #3
tdfuller
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebstubstad View Post
my SPI was misfiring bad for awhile, like, couldn't accelerate at all due to it. I had replaced the plugs and that fixed it greatly, but the ultimate culprit ended up being the coil pack. check for cracks on it, etc, and you will know. don't do what I did and take it in, it's a super easy fix, and cheap if you can find a used one in a scrap yard/ebay. literally unscrew it and unplug a few things, and reverse to put it back in. this should help, and if not, the problems will be worse, but atleast youll know
Thanks. I have had no warning or no check engine light. But, I'll have my eye on the ignition coil pack. I may wait until I burn through my current tank of gas though, to make sure "bad" gas was not a contributing factor. The 3-wire pigtail connector coming out of the ignition coil pack will be checked. It looks ok, but I am going to wiggle it while the engine is running to see if that might be an issue as well.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:32 PM   #4
bringler26
FUBARCUS

Fan#: 59705
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 & 07 Impreza 2.5i

FF Reputation: 29 bringler26 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Moved to General Technical Chat.
Originally Posted by zetecDon View Post
I always moderate naked!
Old 09-17-2013, 01:51 PM   #5
tdfuller
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks for the move to technical.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:44 PM   #6
Leora83
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 69136
What I Drive: 2003 ZX5 chrome yellow

FF Reputation: 1 Leora83 Good Standing Member
My bet is on the coil, too. 4 T25 bolts, a wiring harness, and 4 leads, and you're done.
If you're lucky, none of the bolts are seized, or were stripped by some hamfisted fool trying to change it earlier.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #7
tdfuller
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leora83 View Post
My bet is on the coil, too. 4 T25 bolts, a wiring harness, and 4 leads, and you're done.
If you're lucky, none of the bolts are seized, or were stripped by some hamfisted fool trying to change it earlier.
I've had the Focus since new. So, the coil assy should be factory installed.
I am going to wait to burn through my tank of gas, in the unlikely possibility that "bad" things in the gas were contributing to misfire since the time of last full refill seemed to coincide with misfires.

Also, I resolved a non-working trunk bulb today. It was traced to a wire break at the bend in the left side of the trunk grounding the circuit. Since those wires were repaired, it seems like the misfires are almost completely gone and when they do occur are very slight.

I'll post more developments when they occur.

Thanks for the tips.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:33 PM   #8
calebstubstad
Chef Boyardee

Fan#: 103240
What I Drive: 2000 Atlantic Blue LX

FF Reputation: 4 calebstubstad Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
highly doubt anything with the trunk lighting would have much to do with the engine ignition, but who knows. Maybe just a lucky coincidence, mine went away for awhile after I gave her some WOT therapy
Rally Revolution #43
[HOONIGAN]
Quote:
Originally Posted by matmatician View Post
Not the bear the zoo deserves, but the bear the zoo needs.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:03 PM   #9
tdfuller
Focus Enthusiast

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Got the coil assy and replaced it. All misfires are gone and the Focus is running as well today as it did new 11 years ago.

... By the way, when the part was en route, I ran to Advance Auto and used their OBD code detector. It said "misfire cylinder 2." Since I had already replaced the plugs and wires, I presume that was the ignition coil for cylinder 2 and I guess the code machine will not say, "you have a bad coil assembly."

When I took the old coil pack assy out, and flipped it over, there was a hairline crack extending along the side of the base with the same side as the plug for cylinder 2. Not sure if that had anything to do with the old one failing.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:23 AM   #10
Leora83
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 69136
What I Drive: 2003 ZX5 chrome yellow

FF Reputation: 1 Leora83 Good Standing Member
Yes, it did.
You'll get random misfire codes, then eventually Ignition Coil Module A (or B, C, D, E). So it will tell you, eventually.
Make sure to check that wiring harness, especially the middle wire, for problems...otherwise your expensive new coil might start throwing codes within a week or two and you might think it's defective.

Bookmarks & Social Networks