My first Ford Focus - 2007 wagon! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-16-2013, 09:37 AM   #1
mindonhiatus
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 118973
What I Drive: 2007 Focus Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 mindonhiatus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
My first Ford Focus - 2007 wagon!

Hello everyone! New to the forums, my name is Ben and I just bought my first Focus, it's a 2007 wagon.

My current car is an Infiniti and it's a pain in the rear to do anything on, not to mention a very expensive car when it comes to parts, fuel, maintenance, etc.

I don't know too much about Fords but I am getting a very good deal as the car is from a deceased relative. It has 27k miles.

I searched the forums and there is a lot of info on mods and tuning and I have A.D.D. so it's pretty difficult for my to focus enough to find the answers that are hidden in among so much info.

The car is stock, and I'd like to know what the best/most important things to do to the car would be to get it/keep it running great. I don't have/want to spend a lot of $$, so I'm looking for what will give me the most bang for my buck.

Also what are some common problems that I should be aware of so I can do preventative maintenance?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #2
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 23 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
Even though it has really low miles on it, I'd still replace all the fluids/filters. After that, you shouldnt have any real worries for a while. It has a timing chain and a "lifetime" air filter, so neither of those need maintenance until 100k+.

Pay attention to tire wear/condition, especially with the rear. Wagons have been known to have alignment issues with the rear arms being too far out of spec. Adjustable camber arms or a camber kit would help with alignment.

The only common problem i have first hand experience with is the alternator going out at 60k. Happened on my and my sisters 07 around similar miles. I've replaced the battery in that same time span as well. The passenger side motor mount has had issues as well, if you start to notice increase vibrations at idle, check it for leaks (you can search for more info on that)
Old 09-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #3
replica81
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88615
What I Drive: 05 ST

FF Reputation: 3 replica81 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
At 27k miles, there really isn't anything to do.
SR #272
Beer and Metal.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:59 PM   #4
mindonhiatus
Focus Rookie

Thanks for the suggestions. I've heard that replacing their air filter with K&N can actually net a few more MPG, is that true?

I found this on the forums and it looks like a simple and cheap mod that gives a boost as well. http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140267

Does anyone have any opinions on that? Is water getting in the intake a major concern?
Old 09-16-2013, 02:22 PM   #5
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 54 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindonhiatus View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I've heard that replacing their air filter with K&N can actually net a few more MPG, is that true?

I found this on the forums and it looks like a simple and cheap mod that gives a boost as well. http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140267

Does anyone have any opinions on that? Is water getting in the intake a major concern?
Yeah, you don't want water getting in your intake. That looks like a great cheap mod. I use the Steeda sri myself.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 09-16-2013, 03:59 PM   #6
mindonhiatus
Focus Rookie

^ Is this a common problem for people with CAI? Is there a way to prevent it (other than just avoiding puddles of course)?
Old 09-16-2013, 04:21 PM   #7
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 54 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
^ Is this a common problem for people with CAI? Is there a way to prevent it (other than just avoiding puddles of course)?
Living in the Seattle area, I prefer not to have to deal w/ cai's, thats why I went w/ Steeda's sri. You probaby shouldn't have any problem.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 09-17-2013, 02:28 PM   #8
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 23 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
Quote:
I've only read about maybe one or two people on here killing their engine this way. I've driven in plenty of rain/snow and havent had an issue with several years of CAI use. You will need like a foot of water to submerge the cai. By all means go with what you are comfortable with CAI or SRI, both will be better than OEM and net close to the same performance improvements.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:42 PM   #9
twiggss
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107242
What I Drive: 07 ZX3 Black

FF Reputation: 1 twiggss Good Standing Member
what?, no pics?

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->