SCT Custom Tuning for the MKIII 5M / DCT - Page 5 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-01-2013, 11:13 AM   #41
ripto
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99257
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 ripto Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
Not all tuners/tuning is equal, ask if your tuner/tuning offers custom tuning and if the flash device they sell now has datalogging capabilities so custom tuning can be done

If not you have to ask your self what kind of tune you want canned or custom ?

Tom
Would canned ever win over custom in that decision?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2013, 11:32 AM   #42
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripto View Post
Would canned ever win over custom in that decision?
Custom tune is a tune that has been loaded then datalogged to make sure it is a safe tune for your engine and to make it a custom tune , matched to your mods and your driving style , no 2 Foci are the same so no 2 Foci are going to respond exactly the same to mods or a tune and to get the most safe performance your money can buy , In the end isnt that what your tuning your car for ? and a custom tune with free tune updates cost less

Canned tune , you get what you get , you dont know how safe it is with out datalogging , you dont know if your getting all your paid for , most canned tunes are made from tuning a few Foci then making a generic tune based on those few Foci tested which means not every car is making its safe potental

Which one do you think would be the better tune ?

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 10-01-2013, 06:02 PM   #43
ripto
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
Custom tune is a tune that has been loaded then datalogged to make sure it is a safe tune for your engine and to make it a custom tune , matched to your mods and your driving style , no 2 Foci are the same so no 2 Foci are going to respond exactly the same to mods or a tune and to get the most safe performance your money can buy , In the end isnt that what your tuning your car for ? and a custom tune with free tune updates cost less

Canned tune , you get what you get , you dont know how safe it is with out datalogging , you dont know if your getting all your paid for , most canned tunes are made from tuning a few Foci then making a generic tune based on those few Foci tested which means not every car is making its safe potental

Which one do you think would be the better tune ?

Tom
The custom tune, of course. I'm just wondering why the Injected tuner is so much more popular. Is it because they were the first to announce anything? As far as I know, they don't offer custom tunes, or datalogging; however, I've been out of the loop for awhile. And your tuner is cheaper. Sounds like a no-brainer to me. Now I'm just worried about the warranty being voided issue as I still have 1.5 years/20k miles left.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #44
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Correct they came out with a tune first , If you do some looking around I have been here close to when FF started and have been tuning just as long SCT just didnt have the software ready as quick as others , my tuning rep here is super do some reading here about me and my tunes and my customer service is unmatched

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...227856&page=20

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 10-01-2013, 07:04 PM   #45
ripto
Focus Enthusiast

It definitely seems like you have a good rep around here. I would probably place the order tonight if it weren't for the warranty. It seems like although your tunes may not claim high hp/tq gains (I know you don't talk these numbers too often because every car is different), the driveability and powerband have become much greater.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:13 PM   #46
spiikey1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 111130
What I Drive: 2012, Focus Trend Hatch Silver

FF Reputation: 1 spiikey1 Good Standing Member
interesting to see which would produce more hp gains.. this vs injected.. but what is better is the question despite the hp..
Old 10-01-2013, 08:04 PM   #47
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiikey1 View Post
interesting to see which would produce more hp gains.. this vs injected.. but what is better is the question despite the hp..
It should never be about the HP it should be about the safest and best performance and customer service

Thats what you guys have to decide ? I have stated what I do and how my custom tuning works

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 10-02-2013, 12:38 AM   #48
Trav-E2.0
Thread Killer

Fan#: 8331
What I Drive: 2014 Fiesta ST

FF Reputation: 6 Trav-E2.0 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Wpuld love to see a shootout too, but Tom is 100% correct. Do you want hp number gains or reliability? About a year down the road or maybe sooner, you have a blown motor cause you wanted gains now. I want longevity and my car to start up every morning when I head to work.

Sent from meh fone
Old 10-02-2013, 07:03 AM   #49
ripto
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav-E2.0 View Post
Wpuld love to see a shootout too, but Tom is 100% correct. Do you want hp number gains or reliability? About a year down the road or maybe sooner, you have a blown motor cause you wanted gains now. I want longevity and my car to start up every morning when I head to work.

Sent from meh fone
Yeah a comparison would be nice to see. I bet they'd be pretty close in numbers, although I'm not sure exactly what tuning entails.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:49 AM   #50
Slo86GT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88885
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Gray Focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 Slo86GT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripto View Post
Yeah a comparison would be nice to see. I bet they'd be pretty close in numbers, although I'm not sure exactly what tuning entails.
Then how would you even consider making a post assuming anything?

Tom is repeating himself over and over in this thread, yet there are still people posting ridiculousness.

Honest truth, the canned tune may have a peak power number that is higher than Tom's tune. That is just how things work. That peak power number may be because the engine is run leaner, or being slightly more aggressive on timing than is safe. As was said, engines have slight variances. If you want peace of mind, get a custom tune. If you want to push a couple buttons and be done, without knowing what is going on, a canned tune works for that.
- Jody -

Bookmarks & Social Networks