Need to Vent - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-12-2013, 11:34 PM   #1
jsorrell84
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 114963
What I Drive: 2013 Candy Blue Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 jsorrell84 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Angry Need to Vent

Hi all.

I have a 2010 Ford Escape as a second vehicle and I just need to vent about the quality of it. When I popped the rear lift gate to give it a good detail I saw that all along the crimp line on the inside of the lift gate its bubbled and rusting. The car is less than 4 years old and its rusting already. I've done some reading online since and it seems it is an issue with these "trucks." Out of all the Fords I've owned all my life (all but a few have been Ford) I'm extremely disappointed. I called the dealership where I bought it and they gave me the usual line of if its not perforated it isn't covered by Ford under the 5 year corrosion warranty. It looks to me like a manufacturer defect not a weather issue. From the look of the truck you can tell it was very very well maintained by the prior owner and I treat it like its a Lincoln myself.

Sorry for going on and on I just needed to vent grrr. Makes me wonder if Ford will be my next car again, I've got family with Hondas that are around 10 years old and they aren't rusting like this, and I thought it was the Japanese cars that have rust issues... I can only imagine what this is gonna cost to fix... Really PO'ed.

Thanks for listening to me vent. On the plus side my Focus is awesome as always, Love Love Love that little car.

Cheers,
-Justin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2013, 11:40 PM   #2
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Moved to "Ford Focus & General Car Chat" Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Thanks.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:55 PM   #3
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

FF Reputation: 14 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
As the 'second owner' you have no idea where, or what had happened to that vehicle. Since you live on the East coast.. Remember Hurricane Sandy???
You might take a look insude the door panels and see if salt water damage is evident.
Taking off a door interior panel is pretty easy. If you FIND salt water damage, then you may have a case against the dealer who sold you the car... though they can say they did not know about the damage.. they still wshould/maybe have to give you some compensation ..At least iwould think so.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:02 AM   #4
jsorrell84
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
As the 'second owner' you have no idea where, or what had happened to that vehicle. Since you live on the East coast.. Remember Hurricane Sandy???
You might take a look insude the door panels and see if salt water damage is evident.
Taking off a door interior panel is pretty easy. If you FIND salt water damage, then you may have a case against the dealer who sold you the car... though they can say they did not know about the damage.. they still wshould/maybe have to give you some compensation ..At least iwould think so.
Thanks for the reply. I live way upstate ny and we didn't have any of the sandy flooding here. The escape was sold new to an older gentleman in town (the next town over from me which is the same town the dealer is in) and traded back into the same dealer which I than purchased it. We live in small towns and some people in my family know who the prior owner is and that's why I wasn't worried about buying it. Just to be on the safe side I also had the dealer cpo it. The dealer tried to help but they said ford just won't pay for it without perforation. I know the dealership owner and family well and my grandfather used to work for that dealer so I know their heart is in the right place but if ford won't help there isn't anything that can be done :-/

Justin
Old 09-13-2013, 12:45 AM   #5
autolite
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 46002
What I Drive: 2006 pitch black zx4

FF Reputation: 3 autolite Good Standing Member
That has been brought up on another web site I go on with the 09 and 10 it seems a few people vented about it.I got a 01 and its got some seam rust and hasn't seemed to increase in area.Mine is great 191,000 miles and started to rust above rear wheel wells
Old 09-13-2013, 12:47 AM   #6
redwake
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100718
What I Drive: 00 Black ZTS

FF Reputation: 3 redwake Good Standing Member
Ah man I thought we were going to complain about our wives together.

Some of these thread titles are so deceiving.

My Car: http://tinyurl.com/8mpden8
Sr# 256.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:02 AM   #7
jsorrell84
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by autolite View Post
That has been brought up on another web site I go on with the 09 and 10 it seems a few people vented about it.I got a 01 and its got some seam rust and hasn't seemed to increase in area.Mine is great 191,000 miles and started to rust above rear wheel wells
I can't remember what site I saw the people complaining about it. What site do you also use that you saw that on? It might be what I found. I'd love to join an Escape forum too.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:03 AM   #8
jsorrell84
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwake View Post
Ah man I thought we were going to complain about our wives together.

Some of these thread titles are so deceiving.
LOL sorry man. Thats one thing I don't have any complaints about :-)
Old 09-13-2013, 09:15 AM   #9
SkyPilot
Jetsetter

Fan#: 22350
What I Drive: 2004 SE, 2012 Yellow Blaze SE HB

FF Reputation: 45 SkyPilot Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Its NY and its Rust, they go hand in hand, if the previous owner didn't wash the car in the winter, I would expect rust, even after just 4 years. All the time I drive around here and see newer cars with rust. People just don't take care of their cars as they should.
ZETEC Crew #26 SR #20 YELLOW BLAZE OWNERS GROUP#4
Moderator Pilot, 2 foci Owner! 04 SE Sedan [P RNDL], 12 SE HB ╠╬╝
Ford Focus Discussions, Ford Focus Marketplace, Ford Focus Tech Discussions, Movies & Music Fanatics, Regional Forums

Advocare 24 Day Challenge!
Old 09-13-2013, 11:37 AM   #10
jsorrell84
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyPilot View Post
Its NY and its Rust, they go hand in hand, if the previous owner didn't wash the car in the winter, I would expect rust, even after just 4 years. All the time I drive around here and see newer cars with rust. People just don't take care of their cars as they should.
I could understand that if there was rust in other places but this truck looks awesome, no other rust/bubbling anywhere else (inside doors, rockers, etc) looks like new. The rust is in the actual seam inside the lift gate where it appears it wasn't sealed properly. The more I looked at it and read about how others were having the same issue (not just people in the snow belt) the more I think its a manufacturer defect that is causing it. Maybe they didn't seal it right where they crimped it together? I'm gonna take it to a body shop next week and get an idea what I'm looking at to fix it and get their opinion as to why its rusting there and no where else on the truck, hopefully they can look closely and give me an opinion. :-(

Justin

Bookmarks & Social Networks