Port Intake manifold for TB - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-11-2013, 09:40 PM   #1
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62897
What I Drive: 2001 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 Magus2727 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Port Intake manifold for TB

So I understand that porting the intake manifold to match the TB should be rather straight forward. my question is how much should I take off?

I found this post of someone selling there "ported" to a 65mm TB.

But when I matched up my Focus-Central 65mm TB I measured the following:

I would be shaving/cutting/grinding down to the outer edge of the silver ring. This is the ring I got when I put the TB on the intake manifold and opened the butter fly and ran a paint pen along the joint.

This appears to be a LOT more than what is pictures in the first picture. how far should I shave? I would go slow and carefully, but I do plan on going boost eventually with this so don't want to go to thin.

But then there is this..

Which looks way to thin... but does it matter?
Thanks!

Hatch Nation #42

Going through Rebuild See "The TICK Build Thread" for details (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289168&referrerid=62897)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2013, 09:50 PM   #2
JFrye
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 54896
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3, 99 Dodge 3500 w/Cummins

FF Reputation: 3 JFrye Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
I havent personally done this with mine, but I would recommend taking little by little, put the throttle body on, open the butteryfly, and see if it catches anywhere. Personally, I have the BBK 65mm throttle body, and I havent ported my intake. I have a very, very slight catch when initially touching the gas pedal.
2000 Silver ZX3. 2.0 Zetec, Auto trans with 3.90 gears. 14 inch steelies, P185/65R14 Firestone Affinity Touring Tires. Eibach Sportlines, Massive Upper Strut Bar, BBK 65mm Throttle Body, FSWerks 4 to 1 Header, Custom 2.5 inch into 3 inch exhaust.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:56 PM   #3
02rsv02zx3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114073
What I Drive: 2002 Liquid grey ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 02rsv02zx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
I did mine.. If u want a pic send me your email... I used the gasket that came with the throttle body to mark the manifold and used a dremel bit to cut it then different coursness' of sand paper to make it smooth... Let me kno...
Old 09-11-2013, 09:59 PM   #4
02rsv02zx3
Focus Enthusiast

And yes you are correct... That bottom pic is way too thin... I have a feeling that was port matched to a 67mm(svt) instead of a 65mm... You would proly never get it to seal if it was that thin... Which would cause a leak and rough idle( from what I understand)....
Old 09-11-2013, 10:01 PM   #5
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

The middle picture with the silver paint is what I measured. so I would need to cut into the silver. So I would have more lip than the bottom picture.

the 2000 and the 2001+ intake manifolds are the same on the TB area right? I have my old 2002 intake manifold I think I will try out first before I touch my new found rare 2000 intake
Hatch Nation #42

Going through Rebuild See "The TICK Build Thread" for details (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289168&referrerid=62897)
Old 09-11-2013, 10:20 PM   #6
02rsv02zx3
Focus Enthusiast

They should be about the same...
Old 09-11-2013, 10:57 PM   #7
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
2 part epoxy
fill the flange area's you're concerned about. Simple enough and can't hurt anything.

And I'm still going with porting plastic does nothing.

Though I am still curious how the kid that bought the TB I did likes it?
("ported" and polished it to prove a point. Yep, you can polish plastic)

Old 09-12-2013, 01:43 AM   #8
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
You must leave enough wall to positively hold the inside of the silicone gasket in place. Meaning you do not have enough material to take all your silver area out. The silicone gasket placement about in the middle, it will then fall in space and no seal, just like when thermostat housing fails. To do so will have no wall inside the gasket to hold it in place. Gasket then deflects sideways and sucks into manifold. There's also the difference in stepped height between the bolt hole area and the rest of the flat there, not all the same height. Filling the outside molded lows with epoxy not going to help inside the gasket at all. You may find a need to go totally 100% flat there, scrap the stock silicone gasket, cut your desired ID out and then make up a paper gasket after filling and filing flat all the low spots to make a solid flat there, that would hold a paper gasket well if done right. Or not flatten the whole thing, forget glue, leave the high to pinch a made up paper gasket even better. The highs would be at the bolt holes and actual seal surfaces around ports. The localized crush would let the paper gasket settle into the ports even better.

Main thing, grind that far and your silicone gasket seal is gone bubba................why so many complaints of high idle when done. Leak city.

Laughing at that one pic you have there, that guy went through hell trying to achieve seal there and totally stupid.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:26 AM   #9
Magus2727
Focus Fanatic

AMC49:
Not sure where you are getting the silicone gasket? I have the FC 65mm TB which uses the following paper gasket (http://focus.c-f-m.com/cfmfc65mmthro...ocuszetec.aspx).

iminhell:
Not sure what you are talking about with the epoxy. are you saying to fill in the voids? then sand the surface flat?
Areas to fill...

So that makes sense. and then deck/lap the surface.

The plan was only to port, no polish. Even though it can be done I dont think it will have really any impact and way to much time. you can polish anything, you just have to spend enough time and keep going to higher grit sand paper.
Hatch Nation #42

Old 09-12-2013, 08:44 AM   #10
02rsv02zx3
Focus Enthusiast

Looking at the above pic I think maybe the silver line u have if u cut all the line out maybe too much...I just took the paper gasket, set it on top, thumb tightened the mounting screws then I drew the line... Mine matches up well and from
The pics I sent u I think I have plenty of material to seal to... I didn't "polish" mine either... Mainly did it so the butterfly doesn't hit the lip at all... And I had my new 2000 intake manifold and haven't installed it yet... So what better time to port match it to the throttle body... It may be pointless... That has yet to be seen... But makes me feel better and the way I feel is if it prevents the butterfly from touching( which has been mentioned by several forum members in my tb discussion searches) then why wouldn't you... And also if it gains me even 2 cfm on a NA motor.... That's also fine by me... But iminhells dyno sheets speak for them selves, as his NA motor makes awesome power... So it seems to all be a personal preference... For me... I just decided it was what was best... And I think mine came out pretty decent?

Bookmarks & Social Networks