Exhaust gaskget - header to cat: - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > SPI Performance (2000-2004)

SPI Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Split Port Injection engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-06-2013, 09:50 PM   #1
berndt
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 102080
What I Drive: 2002 Ford Focus SE

Points 581, Level 11
Points: 581, Level: 11 Points: 581, Level: 11 Points: 581, Level: 11
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 berndt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Exhaust gaskget - header to cat:

Had a cracked exhaust manifold. Replaced it, and broke one of the studs. Put it together, but used the old gasket on the catalytic converter side; didn't have one handy.

Had a shop fix the stud for me, and gave then new gaskets. THe one that was on there, was just a round ring. So bought the round ring from rock auto.

Was a little better for a while, but got loud again.

Was in the shop today for something else and asked to see if they could find the leak this time. They think its from the flange at the manifold / cat junction.

After looking again at rockauto.com, I see that the gasket for the SPI motor is very much flange shaped, not a little round ring. So this makes sense, if I have the DOHC gasket on there (maybe a previous owner put the wrong one on, and confused me)

Can that gasket be changed without taking the manifold off? Could some one out line a procedure please?

thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2013, 05:13 PM   #2
tryingtofixthis
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 118287
What I Drive: 00 blue FF, 91 black Volks Jetta

FF Reputation: 1 tryingtofixthis Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
No you dont have to remove the manifold to replace gasket, but honestly there could be several issues goingon that you not seeing.
First off was stud on manifold that broke fixed?
second it could be the.wrong ring because im not sure if the diameter, is the same beteen the2 engine(sohc & dohc) that would be the biggest difference
or third it could have been seated improperly
fourth would be engine vibration broke a bolt at that point and created a gap at the ring(this also play into factor because of #1).

Me personally I like a loud car so long as it doesnt aound like a tractor :)
Old 09-07-2013, 05:39 PM   #3
berndt
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 102080
What I Drive: 2002 Ford Focus SE

Points 581, Level 11
Points: 581, Level: 11 Points: 581, Level: 11 Points: 581, Level: 11
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 berndt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingtofixthis View Post
No you dont have to remove the manifold to replace gasket, but honestly there could be several issues goingon that you not seeing.
First off was stud on manifold that broke fixed?
second it could be the.wrong ring because im not sure if the diameter, is the same beteen the2 engine(sohc & dohc) that would be the biggest difference
or third it could have been seated improperly
fourth would be engine vibration broke a bolt at that point and created a gap at the ring(this also play into factor because of #1).

Me personally I like a loud car so long as it doesnt aound like a tractor :)
The stud was fixed, by the shop. The gaskets I gave them included the one for the DOHC engine, (in hindsight) I had ordered by mistake, since it looked like the one that was previously on the car.

The gasket I bought, I wasn't sure fit. I figured they'd take care of getting it on there. It was a little smaller, and I couldn't get it to go on easily. I never thought of it at the time they fixed the broken stud for me, and didn't think of it until I noticed at rockauto the odd looking one that said SOHC only.

The shop told me yesterday, that the manifold looks good, not signs of leaking exhaust (carbon marks), but he did feel some air around the flange where it meets the cat.

I just don't want to risk another broken stud to take off the manifold again :)
Old 09-07-2013, 05:54 PM   #4
tryingtofixthis
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 118287
What I Drive: 00 blue FF, 91 black Volks Jetta

FF Reputation: 1 tryingtofixthis Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Red face

No need to remove manifold again to replace flange with proper one but they will have to seperare down pipe from flex pipe as well as the mounts from bottom of engine in that case you wont break any studs on the engime or block but its pretty much a guarentee the bolts on the mount plate on bottom of engine and between flex and down pipe will break albeit those are much easier to replace.(not to mention the ones on mput plate arent all that necessary, they just cut back on engime vibration, and pipe could even ne tack weldedjust as easily)

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.