Considering Wheels, Need Some Fitment Help - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-08-2013, 03:12 PM   #11
lacole725
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85112
What I Drive: 2010 Ingot Silver Focus SE Sedan

Points 2,850, Level 32
Points: 2,850, Level: 32 Points: 2,850, Level: 32 Points: 2,850, Level: 32
Level Up 67% Completed
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 3 lacole725 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I was thinking about taking one of my wheels off and measuring from wheel mounting surface to the face of my fender, which is where I want the wheel to be. Could I use that measurement to figure out the backspacing I need?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2013, 03:23 PM   #12
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

Points 28,946, Level 99
Points: 28,946, Level: 99 Points: 28,946, Level: 99 Points: 28,946, Level: 99
Level Up 37% Completed
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%
Forum Activity 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%
FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
see if this will help. Otherwise I'm going to need to have nick chime in.

http://www.more-japan.com/blogs/2011...ut-the-offset/
Old 09-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #13
lacole725
Focus Enthusiast

Points 2,850, Level 32
Level Up 67% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
It does help. My problem is I'm trying to visualize in my head what I actually need, rather than looking at it myself. That's why I thought +15 offset would be better, I was visualizing my stock wheels were in a lot further.

Would it be easier to get a set of wheels and adjust the fitment with wheel spacers? Originally, I wanted the fifteen52 17x8 Tarmac wheels. They come in either +42 or +35 offset. I can also get H&R wheel spacers from FSWerks. That last picture you posted of the Mk2 is basically what I want, just maybe a little more further out.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:06 PM   #14
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

Points 28,946, Level 99
Points: 28,946, Level: 99 Points: 28,946, Level: 99 Points: 28,946, Level: 99
Level Up 37% Completed
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%
Forum Activity 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%
FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Yea I can almost guarantee you nick is using spacers on that second gen.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:41 PM   #15
Nickgt40
Wheel King, Bow Down

Fan#: 40924
What I Drive: 01 Black ZX3, 09 FSWerks SEMA Coupe

FF Reputation: 19 Nickgt40 Great Standing Member
So this is going to be a bit of a long post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrankOne View Post
I wouldn't know about the measurements or any of that, but I wouldn't go with any bigger than 17" wheels for two reasons 1). Your turn radius is affected & 2). The bigger the wheels the heavier they are, affecting not only fuel economy but also your speed sensor which would need to be calibrated for the new size. I wouldnt wanna bother with all that.
I know you're just trying to help, but you are making a lot of assumptions here.

First, turn radius has nothing to do with the diameter of your wheel. The WIDTH of your tires can have an affect, but that's only a very small part of it unless we're working in extremes. A 1" width difference will be minuscule.

Next, generally larger wheels are heavier but that's not always the case. I have a few sets of 18" wheels and tires that are lighter than stock 16" wheels and tires. You need to take into account the weight of both wheel and tire to make a claim that larger diameter wheels are less efficient. I think what you're referring to is the fact that moving that weight further from the center point of the wheel requires more work, and that can hurt fuel efficiency.

That brings me to the next point, the diameter of the wheel has NOTHING to do with your speed sensor, that is affected by the outside diameter of your tires, not your wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacole725 View Post
Actually, I just checked their site again and the only size they have in 4x108 bolt pattern is 17x8, but it is offered in 35 or 42 offset.
The number you will want is directly related to the suspension you have, how much camber front and rear you have, and what size tire you wish to run.

Quote:

Does anyone know how wide of a wheel I can fit or if I can find a tire that will fit that wide of a wheel?

Should I just get the narrowest wheel and then install home wheel spacers?

Anyone ever taken any measurements similar to what I am looking for, e.g. from hub mounting surface to fender?
The width of wheel you can fit is again directly dependent upon suspension set up.

Narrow with spacers is one way to do it, but quality spacers aren't cheap and they add more weight than a wheel at the proper width and offset.

The measurements you're talking about have already been done, sort of. The wheels width, offset, and backspace will tell you exactly where the wheel will sit on your car in relation to the hub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrankOne View Post
My ST3 has 18's & the turn radius is worse than my dad's F-450
That's because you have a performance car with a progressive rate steering rack. Any car that is going to have a responsive steering wheel will have a poor turning radius. Don't believe me? Drive a Ferrari or a Porsche Turbo or anything like that. The standard focus Titanium suffers from poor turning radius because ford installed hub spacers and stops to make it so drivers don't make contact with the suspension components with the ridiculously high offset stock wheels.

Trucks have poor turning radius because of their wheel base. The longer the distance between the front amd rear wheel the poorer the radius. A focus SE would out turn that full size truck any day.

Quote:
I actually made that thread to get a more direct answer because I have a couple questions in this one. I don't know what the backspacing is, but they are available in +15 to +35 offset. They are watercooledIND cc10's. I was thinking about getting the +15 offest.
Don't do +15, you'll never get them to fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGlassMaker View Post
15 offset would be nuts, you'd be better off with 35. Remember the lower the number the more the wheel sticks out. Stock wheels are et52 to 49. I run 18x7.5 et45 on my first gen. they sit nearly flush.

Focus MK1 RS wheels are 18x8 et42 they require fender work to fit on a 1st gen focus that's lowered.

Here is a set on a stock SVT suspension.

Here is a set on a slammed focus.

Here is that same wheel on a slammed Mk2.

I fixed the wheel size, its 18x8 not 18x9.

Hatch Nation #2
Old 09-08-2013, 04:51 PM   #16
lacole725
Focus Enthusiast

Points 2,850, Level 32
Level Up 67% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
Thanks for the input Nick.

I won't be lowering my car at all, it would be impossible to get into my apartment if I did. I scrape on stock suspension pulling in (very steep entrance). Well, there is a possibility I may get lowering springs, but definitely not coil overs and definitely not slamming the car. Maybe just enough to minimize some of the wheel gap. The only other suspension modification I may do is adding a rear sway bar and upgrading the front one. I'm thinking I may just go with the 17x8 Fifteen52 Tarmac with +35 offset.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:02 PM   #17
Nickgt40
Wheel King, Bow Down

Fan#: 40924
What I Drive: 01 Black ZX3, 09 FSWerks SEMA Coupe

FF Reputation: 19 Nickgt40 Great Standing Member
If you're not going to lower the car much if at all the 42mm offset would be better.

A 35mm pair for the rear would work but Id be willing to bet you'll rub in the front under hard turns and/or big dips.

You can always run H&R 5mm spacers in the rear giving them an offset of +37 and running small spacers in the rear will allow you to rotate fronts and rears.
Hatch Nation #2
Old 09-08-2013, 05:11 PM   #18
lacole725
Focus Enthusiast

Points 2,850, Level 32
Level Up 67% Completed
Forum Activity 2%
Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using FF Mobile
Old 09-08-2013, 06:35 PM   #19
lookinggood
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 118339
What I Drive: 2104 Sterling Gray-Titanium-HB

FF Reputation: 1 lookinggood Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Offset is +55 on the car. -A LOT- Most wheels do not come so large. (have looked for hours on the internet of at least 200 wheels and not found one I would buy) First to find the wheel which is staggered and anywhere the correct offset, and then to find the bolt pattern wrong for me - VERY frustrating.

Someone just mentioned the turning radius of 18" wheels, now at the dealer, most of the new 2014 titaniums have 19" wheels, which makes them worse and heavier.

Tomorrow wil go to a place called 'California Wheels' in San Jose, CA. No doubt the formost authority on this subject within northern california.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:00 PM   #20
lookinggood
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 118339
What I Drive: 2104 Sterling Gray-Titanium-HB

FF Reputation: 1 lookinggood Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
http://mywheeladapters.com/ site for adapters

Bookmarks & Social Networks