Transmission Reset... WHILE DRIVING!!! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-15-2012, 07:42 AM   #1
HammerStriker
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86553
What I Drive: 2012 Ignot Silver Hatchback SEL

FF Reputation: 1 HammerStriker Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Transmission Reset... WHILE DRIVING!!!

So, yesterday during my drive home something really weird/scary happened. Driving about 70ish and it was like my transmission shifted into neutral for a second. Then it started stuttering like the Throttle Position Sensor went out for about a mile. This was followed by the transmission shifting back into 6th gear and refusing to down shift. I was freaked out!!! I gunned it to see if it would slam down a few gears and it rev’d to about 6k without down shifting or accelerating.

I pulled to the side of the freeway and simulated getting out of my car and getting back in (shift to park, kill engine, open door, close door, open door, close door, start engine).

Everything was fine afterwards, except it rebooted the adaptive learning thingy. It acted like when I first got the PCM/TCM reflashed.

Now today everything was back to normal (so nothing to show the service tech). Should I take it in anyway? Has anyone had this happen?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2012, 07:47 AM   #2
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

Points 6,054, Level 50
Points: 6,054, Level: 50 Points: 6,054, Level: 50 Points: 6,054, Level: 50
Level Up 52% Completed
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Whoa that's scary. Mine has been acting up while hot with about 500 miles on it but nothing like that.

Why do these transmissions have to "adapt" to our driving habits anyway, driving like crap while they learn? Why can't they just be programmed from the factory for the average driver? What if two people who drive completely differently drive the car in equal amounts? Will it ever learn and finally fall into a pattern in that case??????
Old 02-15-2012, 07:57 AM   #3
r1derbike
Focus Addict

Fan#: 62667
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport Hatch - Sterling Grey

FF Reputation: 4 r1derbike Good Standing Member
Were there signs of a power interruption? Displays going dim?

Man, if you have an intermittent connection affecting the tranny, that's serious!
Old 02-15-2012, 08:15 AM   #4
chaimav
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91850
What I Drive: Sterling Gray 2012 SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 chaimav Good Standing Member
Whoah! Sounds serious. Maybe you should consider a safety compliant:
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
Old 02-15-2012, 08:31 AM   #5
st falcon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92343
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy HATCH SEL

FF Reputation: 3 st falcon Good Standing Member
Check out the other threads on this. The trans doesnt adapt, instead, when it is initially programmed, the tech has to do a series of manuevers that the transmission "learns" from. It shows the computer what kind of scenarios it will encounter: slow crawl, sudden stop, etc...to adjust clutch uptake.

There was another member here that had that problem, out in LA if I recal. Never heard from him afain after the first post tho...

1996 Bronco XLT 351W
Cant wait for Summer when I pop the top!!
Old 02-15-2012, 08:45 AM   #6
kam327
-----<M>-----

Points 6,054, Level 50
Level Up 52% Completed
Forum Activity 7%
"The trans doesnt adapt, instead, when it is initially programmed, the tech has to do a series of manuevers that the transmission "learns" from."

I thought a lot of folks have reported that their service reps and even the manual say to expect the unusual during the first 1,000 miles or so while the software "learns." Several people have been told after taking the car in during the first couple hundred miles to wait until after 1,000 to see if the problem goes away before bringing it back in.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:47 AM   #7
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

Points 3,833, Level 39
Points: 3,833, Level: 39 Points: 3,833, Level: 39 Points: 3,833, Level: 39
Level Up 22% Completed
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Forum Activity 7%
FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
If the transmission was reset, the ecu should have a log of it happening. Take it to your service tech anyway. They might find something.
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:00 AM   #8
Rogerschro
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90661
What I Drive: '12 FFE Frosted Glass

Points 871, Level 15
Points: 871, Level: 15 Points: 871, Level: 15 Points: 871, Level: 15
Level Up 72% Completed
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 3 Rogerschro Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
Whoa that's scary. Mine has been acting up while hot with about 500 miles on it but nothing like that.

Why do these transmissions have to "adapt" to our driving habits anyway, driving like crap while they learn? Why can't they just be programmed from the factory for the average driver? What if two people who drive completely differently drive the car in equal amounts? Will it ever learn and finally fall into a pattern in that case??????
It is a misconception that it learns our driving habits. What the computer is doing is learning the particular Characteristics of that transmission. Every transmission is slightly different, clutch wear, throwout bearings, gears, etc. and it needs to learn how to engage and disengage as soothly as possible and as efficiently as possible. It's just like a manual driver learning how a particular manual transmission works. At first you will be poor at using it but as you do you learn the transmissions quirks and get smoother at shifting. That is what the computer does. It's learning the transmission, not the driver.

It will handle different drivers without problems. I drive mine differently depending on the conditions and whether I feel sporty or not and have no issues with it. It can be odd at times but it is still a manual and all manuals do odd things at times, this DCT just has a computer doing the clutch work for you. Our reaction times and the computers reaction times can be at odds at times causing the hunting or reving. I've done that in manuals too, and shuddered the trans, rolled backwards, ground gears, etc. That will happen in the DCT too, but hopefully less often. Even Great manual drives have hick-ups, that's part of the fun of driving. It's amazing the computer can even get it right with all the variables we throw at it.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:07 AM   #9
kam327
-----<M>-----

Points 6,054, Level 50
Level Up 52% Completed
Forum Activity 7%
Ahh, forgive my misconception and thanks for the explanation.

This transmission does feel quite a bit different than a true auto and I don't mind it except for the shudder I get accelerating from a stop after driving for about 15 minutes (smooth as silk when cold). I know a lot of folks have complained about this but what I don't know is for how many of them the programming self-adjusted and the issue went away on its own. Or did they all have to go through 1 or more trips to the dealer for a re-flash...

I have a Dec 2 build car with the latest transmission update (12-1-4 I believe?).
Old 02-15-2012, 11:14 AM   #10
HammerStriker
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86553
What I Drive: 2012 Ignot Silver Hatchback SEL

FF Reputation: 1 HammerStriker Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by r1derbike View Post
Were there signs of a power interruption? Displays going dim?

Man, if you have an intermittent connection affecting the tranny, that's serious!
No, nothing... that's what freaked me out the most. I've had the tranny get confused when driving aggressively, but I was just cruising along.

The weird part was the stutter... If anyone has had a TPS go out on them, it felt EXACTLY the same.

If it keeps a log that can be read, I will definitely take it by the dealer.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.