My MK3 powertrain issues (a comprehensive list) - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-25-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Fan#: 85247
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

FF Reputation: 9 Joeywhat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
My MK3 powertrain issues (a comprehensive list)

I'm just putting this here as a journal of sorts of the issues I am experiencing with my powertrain. I'm not calling these all DCT issues as I believe only some of them are due to the gearbox or associated hardware/software. These are issues that I am experiencing with my specific car, and if you have the exact issues (and not similar ones), feel free to join in and share how it manifests in your car.

The purpose of this is to help me better figure out the core issue that is causing these symptoms. If you are not having these issues, please do not post here with whatever issues you are having, there's plenty of other threads for that. This list is not conclusive and more may be added as I notice or remember it.

My car:

- 44,000 miles, SE sport, DCT gearbox, 05.04.2011 build date (April 05).
- K&N drop in filter, TTR upper motor mount, E-Focus rear mount, air dam material removed from grille area.
- Decent mix of highway/city miles. Typically 30mpg mileage, fairly aggressive driving at times.

Issues:
- (Throttle issue) In select shift mode, accelerating in a "higher gear" at "moderate" RPMs causes a bucking/jerking feeling. Typically happens in 4th or 5th gear, with moderate throttle input (likely enough to cause the gearbox to downshift if it were in drive or sport), but not "too much" throttle. Not mashing the pedal or anything. Sometimes happens in third as well. Feels like the throttle is being modulated by the computer to back off in quick succession, I do not believe this to be clutch related. Have yet to experience this sensation in drive or sport mode. Also experience some brief lag/bucking while accelerating at higher RPMs in select shift, although it only happens once and not repeatedly. Not too noticeable, however unsure if supposed to occur or not.

- (Throttle issue) Noticeable throttle lag when accelerating from a stop. This happened immediately after the gearbox software update (can't remember the code, performed very early 2013) to solve clutch slip issues on takeoff. For instance, if holding the brake and revving the engine at a stop (the so called "launch mode"), when the brake is released the RPMs will drop considerably and the car will still take off very slowly with considerable lag. It's very difficult to spin the tires from a stop on dry pavement, can't even chirp them in most cases.

- (DCT issue) Lag when starting engine, at any time. Key is turned to start position, where engine will not turn over until something in the gearbox sets itself. Typically 1 second lag. Disconnected battery a few times recently, and noticed that sometimes when everything was reconnected, this issue disappeared...and then it would come back the next time the battery was disconnected. Strange that it would do this, at this specific point in time, there is no longer any lag to turn over the motor. This issue manifested itself within the last 10,000 miles or so. Will see how it continues seeing as it's no longer doing it at the moment. Clearly something internally is not being reset properly, unsure of how killing power changes anything.

- (Motor issue) Motor sounds like it is missing while idling. Unsure if any issues are actually occurring, basing off noise alone. Have not noticed any unusual operation, especially anything that would resemble one or more cylinders missing, and no error codes are being generated. Have been meaning to bring it in to get looked at, however I don't expect them to do anything if no noticeable issues are occurring. Very curious to know if anyone else notices this. Motor still seems to operate fine, it's just the noise. Maybe it's just what the injectors sound like at idle, but I found it curious.

- (DCT issue) Have recently noticed some very slight slipping at moderate acceleration. Not noticeable under heavy acceleration. Still rather difficult to notice at this point, but everyone once in a while it's bad enough to just barely notice something is awry. Has only happened at speed, so far...and not on take off.

- (DCT issue) Clutch smell occurring, although not often. Have yet to find any pattern to it, and do not notice it very often. Could be normal.

Hatch Nation #29
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2013, 06:02 PM   #2
Deftmetal

Fan#: 105884
What I Drive: 2014 Mazda 3

FF Reputation: 7 Deftmetal Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
http://youtu.be/mD0Bv6vc4gE

This is what mine sounds like. Ford insists its fine. There is also an intermittent grinding noise. This is just recorded with iPhone 5 not altered. I wish I had a normal sound clip but don't.

I have the 5 speed and there is throttle lag sometimes and not others

Rally Revolution #14
Josh
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
Don't hate on an amputee chick that's still playing with lego's.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:50 PM   #3
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Yeah, that sounds awful...like a bearing is about to blow up.

Mine sounds normal, just cuts out for a *very* brief moment on a repeated bases. Doesn't sound like a "typical" miss, it's really just the injector noise I can hear this with.
Hatch Nation #29
Old 09-26-2013, 01:43 AM   #4
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
To the OP:
I believe that there may be a newer PCM/TCM calibration (firmware) for your car that may help some of your issues.
Are you still covered under the powertrain warranty?
Old 09-26-2013, 01:58 AM   #5
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

As far as I can tell I have any applicable software update already.

I'd also be interested in hearing from folks with a tune, and if they exhibited any of these problems before hand, and if the tune fixed them.
Hatch Nation #29

Bookmarks & Social Networks