Why is the American focus de-contented? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-06-2013, 12:56 AM   #1
FX4life
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99227
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 FX4life Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Why is the American focus de-contented?

I have a good friend recently moved from here in Canada to Munich, Germany for a job he was offered in his field of education. Since he is permanently living there, he sold his 2010 Ford F-150 XLT and 2012 Focus Titanium (black, loaded w/sport pack, beautiful car) that he loved and just bought a new black Focus Titanium in Germany. He got it spec'd with the 182HP 1.6L Ecoboost and 6spd manual (A setup I'd kill to have on my car, ditch the dual clutch in a heartbeat). He got his car loaded with everything including the same wheels available on the sport package. He told me about all the features that came on his car that were unavailable on his american spec car, like HID projector headlights, BLIS and adaptive cruise control. His car also has a sony stereo, but no MyFordTouch. Just a slew of buttons with a small screen up top like the base cars here. His American spec car had the DCT and he claims that his euro car drives so much nicer than his american one. The Ecoboost is a perfect fit for the car apparently.

I was recently overseas in Europe in April, I saw a few top-end Foci running around. Those black/black Titanium cars with the non-amber accented dark finish HID headlights with LED running lights are downright crisp, clean and sexy.

Not that I really care about any of those features other than the HID headlights and powertrain choices, but why does Ford de-content the Focus for the American market? I know in Europe small cars are the best selling type of car so it makes sense to have features like those available, but if manufacturers and politicians want Americans to downsize their vehicles, doesn't it make sense to at least offer those features? Especially the powertrain choices..We should have 1.6L Ecoboost engines available with 6 speed manuals if we want. Maybe it would lift some of the flack regarding the PowerShit 6 speed auto. I always thought the Focus was going to be available with an Ecoboost at some point in time, but it doesn't appear to be in the plans just yet.

What do you guys think? Should we be seeing some more Euro-spec features and engines here in America?

2013 Oxford White F-150 FX4 5.0 Supercrew - Loaded - Tint-to-match, Wheel-well liners, 3M Protection, Spray-in bedliner
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2013, 12:59 AM   #2
FamousMassacre
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104066
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Hatch

Points 1,715, Level 24
Points: 1,715, Level: 24 Points: 1,715, Level: 24 Points: 1,715, Level: 24
Level Up 15% Completed
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 FamousMassacre Good Standing Member
Germany > USA
Old 09-06-2013, 01:02 AM   #3
FX4life
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousMassacre View Post
Germany > USA

I loved Germany. I'm already saving up for another trip over there. The beer, women, schnitzel and Foci were all better than anything local I've seen!

2013 Oxford White F-150 FX4 5.0 Supercrew - Loaded - Tint-to-match, Wheel-well liners, 3M Protection, Spray-in bedliner
Old 09-06-2013, 01:11 AM   #4
SlickWilly
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 116476
What I Drive: 2009 Ford Focus SES Sangria Red

Points 4,653, Level 43
Points: 4,653, Level: 43 Points: 4,653, Level: 43 Points: 4,653, Level: 43
Level Up 52% Completed
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Forum Activity 26%
Activity: 26% Activity: 26% Activity: 26%
FF Reputation: 6 SlickWilly Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I would love me a Ecoboost 6 speed Sedan. It could be the Focus SHO, the small sized Taurus SHO.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:18 AM   #5
FX4life
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickWilly View Post
I would love me a Ecoboost 6 speed Sedan. It could be the Focus SHO, the small sized Taurus SHO.
If they offered that combo I'd trade up in an instant. The 2.0L used now is a great engine (hooked up to an unfortunate transmission) but nothing revolutionary. I like tech and there's no reason that an Ecoboost couldn't pull 43+ MPG in SFE flavour vs the standard 2.0L. Hell, My F-150 w/Ecoboost pulls 21-25 MPG with larger tires and a tune..Unheard of in a pickup. Anyways..

HID projector headlights, especially OEM, are nice to have as well. The standard halogens used on my truck and the Focus are awful, and I've retrofitted FXR projectors into my pickup and will likely eventually do the same on the Focus when it's out of the shop. Just one of those things that'd be nice to not have to change. First world problems, eh?

Old 09-06-2013, 02:15 AM   #6
ST 2K5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 44631
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black SE Sedan 5speed

Points 10,862, Level 69
Points: 10,862, Level: 69 Points: 10,862, Level: 69 Points: 10,862, Level: 69
Level Up 3% Completed
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 6 ST 2K5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (22)
I wonder why ford offers a better product in Europe with their crumbling car market then here in the US. A 1.6 EcoBoost 182 hp 6 speed Focus sounds sweet...
Old 09-06-2013, 03:23 AM   #7
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '14 Tangerine Scream ST3

Points 13,860, Level 76
Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76
Level Up 53% Completed
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%
Forum Activity 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%
FF Reputation: 15 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
Money. They pay a LOT more for the same car, but get all the added bells and whistles..
The average Euro car cost about $10,000. to $15,000 MORE than the same car in the USA.
Like a Subaru $22.690 USA
exact same car in Germany $40,331
Do not forget a big chunk is the VAT tax. Then Euro folks can get bigger discounts than US folks.. (up to 42%)

IMO a lot of it is folks in the USA will NOT pay an additional several thousand for trinkets.. Where apparently Europeans will.
The USA has a GOLDEN cheap supply of cars unlike anywhere else.
We are used to getting a deal, and just do not buy if it is not a money value.
Even Canadians pay a bunch more for the exact same car sold across in the USA.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:10 AM   #8
GhiaFan
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 50498
What I Drive: 2007 Panther Black Focus 1.6 Ti-VCT

Points 11,792, Level 71
Points: 11,792, Level: 71 Points: 11,792, Level: 71 Points: 11,792, Level: 71
Level Up 36% Completed
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 12 GhiaFan Great Standing Member
Seems to me that Hyundai/ Kia North America is offering pretty much the same high spec features as they do in Europe. I think that takes away the excuse of "The average Euro car cost about $10,000. to $15,000 MORE than the same car in the USA"

Example using my country as a comparo to USA Hyundai pricing . I will use USD dollars not including taxes

Sonata base model
Hyundai USA MSRP $21,195.00
Hyundai Estonia MSRP $24,000.00

Sorry Elizabeth but your statement needs some factual backup to make such a claim.

Plus the One Ford (global) system reduces Fords supplier costs for these features way way down. In some cases saving development costs up to 40%, which is passed on throughout Fords global suppliers. This allows the suppliers to design and engineer parts once that are uniformly produced across the globe on a large scale.
Hence the excuse of these features costing Ford too much to offer USA customers is suspect to say the least. And it cannot be said that Ford North America does not have these features available, because many of the Global Focus features mentioned by the OP are offered in other Ford North American products, such as the Fusion.

And as always one cannot compare "costs of anything" between global markets using currency exchange as the comparison tool. One cannot even compare between EU countries, as the price in each country for the same spec car is based on that specific countries pricing structure.
Price for a Focus Titanium will be different in UK, versus Germany, Versus Denmark, versus Spain, versus Romania, versus Sweden etc etc etc.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:25 AM   #9
snake420
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85194
What I Drive: 2012 Focus TUXBLK SE 5MT

Points 334, Level 6
Points: 334, Level: 6 Points: 334, Level: 6 Points: 334, Level: 6
Level Up 68% Completed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 snake420 Good Standing Member
Its not a truck$, so we're lucky it even gets disk brakes. As a matter of fact. All the "euro" transplants "Fiesta-Focus-Fusion" are de-contented.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:47 AM   #10
Rogerschro
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90661
What I Drive: '12 FFE Frosted Glass

Points 890, Level 15
Points: 890, Level: 15 Points: 890, Level: 15 Points: 890, Level: 15
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 3 Rogerschro Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhiaFan View Post
Seems to me that Hyundai/ Kia North America is offering pretty much the same high spec features as they do in Europe. I think that takes away the excuse of "The average Euro car cost about $10,000. to $15,000 MORE than the same car in the USA"

Example using my country as a comparo to USA Hyundai pricing . I will use USD dollars not including taxes

Sonata base model
Hyundai USA MSRP $21,195.00
Hyundai Estonia MSRP $24,000.00

Sorry Elizabeth but your statement needs some factual backup to make such a claim.

Plus the One Ford (global) system reduces Fords supplier costs for these features way way down. In some cases saving development costs up to 40%, which is passed on throughout Fords global suppliers. This allows the suppliers to design and engineer parts once that are uniformly produced across the globe on a large scale.
Hence the excuse of these features costing Ford too much to offer USA customers is suspect to say the least. And it cannot be said that Ford North America does not have these features available, because many of the Global Focus features mentioned by the OP are offered in other Ford North American products, such as the Fusion.

And as always one cannot compare "costs of anything" between global markets using currency exchange as the comparison tool. One cannot even compare between EU countries, as the price in each country for the same spec car is based on that specific countries pricing structure.
Price for a Focus Titanium will be different in UK, versus Germany, Versus Denmark, versus Spain, versus Romania, versus Sweden etc etc etc.
I'd say Elizabeth is right. It's not that it costs Ford more, it is that they(Europeans) are WILLING to pay more for the options. Americans want to pay as little as possible for a lot of junk where Europeans are willing to pay a lot for a little quality. So those extra features show up on their cars where we are unwilling to pay for them. If Americans could learn to pay for quality over quantity, we could have those too. But all I ever read here is what kind of a deal we got on this or that, not I paid for a great car with high quality features... Ford does not offer those features here because it would not be cost effective to have the cars featured this way when we won't pay for it and most would just buy without to get a deal. I'm sure Some will but not enough to make it reasonable to offer.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.