A bad story and terrible ending... - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-30-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
04ZTSJelf
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100701
What I Drive: 04 D23 Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 04ZTSJelf Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
A bad story and terrible ending...

Well, last week I went to my local Ford dealer for an oil change (something Iíd rather do myself if I had the space). The next day I came home from work and noticed a small circle of oil in my spot. Over the last few days I figured out it only leaks a little after I drive it. Finally today I had time to take it back up there and see what was what. I figured it was an issue with the oil filter or plug but they come back and tell me I need an oil pressure switch-$70.04 after parts labor and tax AND a passenger side axle seal-$235.38 after parts labor and tax! Is it just a coincidence this happened the day I got my oil changed or is it something they couldíve done? Iím getting tired of fixing one thing after the other recently. Just put on a $300 alternator last monthÖ I guess thatís what you get with a 10 year old car though. Also is this something that can wait awhile, say a couple months? Or should I find a way to do it now?..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2013, 09:18 PM   #2
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Hey look at it this way at least you didn't take your car in for a ecu reflash and to get a spare key made. Then your car comes home with a thrown rod, and a destroyed exhaust. Long story, but I ended up eating that cost and I still have a broken car... Dealerships suck ass. Never again.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:33 PM   #3
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96835
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I doubt they sabotaged your axle seal or your oil pressure sender.
Does it need those parts? Depends on how much fluid it's losing.

Don't like paying labor to replace nickel and dime parts for hundreds of dollars? Neither do I, so do the labor yourself. You are looking at ~$40 in parts and half a Saturday morning of labor.

Driving 10+ year old cars is not a good way to save money if you have to pay other people $200 in labor to change a $20 seal every time.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:20 PM   #4
04ZTSJelf
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100701
What I Drive: 04 D23 Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 04ZTSJelf Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGlassMaker View Post
Hey look at it this way at least you didn't take your car in for a ecu reflash and to get a spare key made. Then your car comes home with a thrown rod, and a destroyed exhaust. Long story, but I ended up eating that cost and I still have a broken car... Dealerships suck ass. Never again.
Yes they do. Did they say how it happened?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsolo View Post
I doubt they sabotaged your axle seal or your oil pressure sender.
Does it need those parts? Depends on how much fluid it's losing.

Don't like paying labor to replace nickel and dime parts for hundreds of dollars? Neither do I, so do the labor yourself. You are looking at ~$40 in parts and half a Saturday morning of labor.

Driving 10+ year old cars is not a good way to save money if you have to pay other people $200 in labor to change a $20 seal every time.
Yea I don't think they did it and just a bad coincidence. It only looses a little bit of fluid when I first quit driving. I went almost a week like that and I added a little oil when it got about 3/4 full. I just don't know if it will get worse. The parts are about $15 each from Ford but the axle seal is a 3.5 hour job. I'd do it but I have a driveway, one jack, minimal tools and have never been taught anything related to cars. lol.
Thanks for the replies.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:26 PM   #5
2.0 L
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102780
What I Drive: 2007 Pitch Black SAP

FF Reputation: 1 2.0 L Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
That's what this website is for! As long as this website is alive there will be people around you that want to work on your car for nothing but a beer.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:31 PM   #6
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 53 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Just to add= Its cheaper then $300. to $500. car payments ever month. Just don't let the oil get to low.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 12-30-2013, 11:00 PM   #7
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04ZTSJelf View Post
Yes they do. Did they say how it happened?

]

no they wouldn't admit to it, they said engine was bad when I brought it to them. It just broke all together when they tried to start it. I couldn't prove it cause car didn't run when I dropped it off, cause ecu didn't match PATs, which is why it was there I just finished a engine swap.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:07 PM   #8
zetecDon
Where am I?

Fan#: 62506
What I Drive: 02 ZX3, 02 MX-5

FF Reputation: 28 zetecDon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (45)
Moved to "Ford Focus & General Car Chat".
Old 12-30-2013, 11:14 PM   #9
mikebontoft
Toxx

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
maybe the engine was crap James. did you ever hear it run before buying it? I know it's not possible sometimes...

well that's a 10 year old car for you. You should see the problems some newer cars have. Your title is very misleading.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 12-30-2013, 11:18 PM   #10
Romans5.8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119488
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 4 Romans5.8 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
How could an ECU flash cause a thrown rod? Sometimes coincidences do happen. Buddy of mine is a mechanic at a GM joint and they had a guy complaining that his tailgate started squeaking after an oil change. How exactly did changing the oil affect their tailgate?

Same with the OP. While dealers are notorious for telling you that you need things that you don't really need, if the parts are indeed bad, I seriously doubt they are dealer caused. A pinched O-ring on an oil filter leaking, forgetting a washer, even dropping a rag into the crankcase- that stuff happens. But I don't see how those things could have happened due to dealer negligence. It's also possible that your dealer used a different oil than you had used previously, and perhaps this oil had an easier time getting past the pressure switch and leaking. ALSO possible that the leak was there previously but you had not noticed it before or parked just-right to see it before.
2011 Honda Shadow Aero, Candy Red (Wife's Bike)

Bookmarks & Social Networks