Parking her for the next 3 years... - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-31-2010, 09:34 AM   #1
guy2545
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 53972
What I Drive: 2007 Black SES

FF Reputation: 1 guy2545 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Parking her for the next 3 years...

So I'm about to transfer to Japan with the military, and I am sadly not bringing my focus with me. She is going to stay behind state side so I have a car to drive when the wife and I come home on leave (about once a year).

So I am open to any advice on what I should do to keep her in the best shape for when I come back. I do have family that will be able to start her up and drive her around at least once a month. Of course I am going to do the obvious thing and purchase a car cover for her (no garage).

I will not be selling my car, because well...I love my car

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2010, 10:33 AM   #2
OceanGrown
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 58208
What I Drive: '01 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 2 OceanGrown Good Standing Member
No garage? Oh Boy. Death to SVT.

I'd go to some store and build a a shed around the car. That and have some start it weekly. Also, before you leave, put a nice good coat of wax on it.

That or wrap the whole thing in a ziploc!

Zetec Crew #306
Midwest Crew #44
Old 07-31-2010, 10:42 AM   #3
lyonsroar

Fan#: 63166
What I Drive: 2009 Volkswagen GTI

FF Reputation: 31 lyonsroar Great Standing Member
I would look into a storage bay. Sitting outside with no wax, washing, etc for years is going to trash the car.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:50 AM   #4
mix1983
Life Is Good

Fan#: 61101
What I Drive: 2000 Honda Civic EX 5spd

FF Reputation: 5 mix1983 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Yeah, definitely rent a self storage unit. A lot of them are even climate controlled these days. Just make sure the payments are made, they're allowed to auction off whatever's inside if its not paid.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:54 AM   #5
alex62390
BACON?

Fan#: 60434
What I Drive: 2004 svt focus EAP

FF Reputation: 22 alex62390 Great Standing Member
If you don't get storage park it on a plastic tarp. Make sure the water can run AWAY from the car. Fill the tank and put stabilizer in it. Disconnect the battery. Plug up the intake and the exhaust so mice and squirrels don't wreck shit. Moth balls help with the mice. Just put them around the engine bay and some under the car. Dryer sheets are also good. You can wrap them around tight spaces the mice like to live.

Good luck in Japan.
2004 svt focus EAP #658

Former Hatch Nation #08
Old 07-31-2010, 10:56 AM   #6
scrammer
Banned

Fan#: 26570
What I Drive: February 2010 ROTM

FF Reputation: 172 scrammer Excellent Standing Member scrammer Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (29)
i agree on the storage unit.

you can store a car for a long time if you prepare it correctly

while the car is running, pull the fuel pump fuse and allow all the fuel to run out the lines. i too agree on the full tank with stabilizer.

also, they make bubbles for cars. it prevents moisture from getting to the car.

make sure you wax the outside and really condition the inside.

if you make the correct precautions, the car should be just the way you left it.

Also, placing the car on jackstands isnt a bad idea either.

hopefully others will chime in with some other useful ideas

good luck
Old 07-31-2010, 12:10 PM   #7
S0C0nFused
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 39405
What I Drive: 2007 TorD-Red ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 77 S0C0nFused Excellent Standing Member
Before purchasing a cover, or "ziplocking" it. You need to do a little work. What is your areas average humidity level and most important, your average dew point. As an example, covering the air conditioner in winter is not a smart idea in Saint Louis as water will get trapped under the cover. A climate controlled self storage unit is best but may not be in the budget, So I would go with OceanGrown suggestion of a shed, plastic seal the interior (overlapped black plastic sheet and contact cement) and make about 4 small doors (also sealed) around the perimeter and use those desiccant 'buckets' (reusable, you poor the water out of them once a month. also affordable). Basically your making a dark, dry environment. Fill the tank and stabilize the gas, put it on jacks. When you get home you will have a dusty car in need of new gas and some basic maintenance, but no rust. What I cannot recall exactly is a suggestion that you run briefly a heavy weight oil (30w?) through the engine right before you park it for good. Oil will not go bad like gas, but you want to insure you have oil present when your ready to start (basically you don't want to have a dry start). Make sure you store your wheels horizontally to prevent flat spots. Although I don't know what product could be used to prevent dry rot, so you might have to get new tires when you return. Last thought. Before you put anything on the interior, make sure it is PH balanced to your interior. The safest chemicals are from the dealer as they test them of course. But as you will not be fighting U/V rays, this may be less of a concern. I would assume it would cost ~$500 to build the shed if it has a floor, More to purchase. It you don't go with a floor then spread plastic on the ground and staple/glue to the perimeter frame. But, then you have to stake the shed (important). The stakes you use are the same as they use for mobile homes and the best method is to run straps from the stakes over the shed. That should be able to withstand anything other than a direct tornado.
Add: REALLY important. Depending on your neighborhood/easments etc. you may need to get permission to build a 'permanent' shed on your property. You want to check that 1st so your family does not get a take down summons 6 months after you deploy.
Last of the Hatches #28
Old 07-31-2010, 12:17 PM   #8
mlbbaseball
Shot me 3 deer!!!

Fan#: 53541
What I Drive: 01 zx3 s2 x2, 02 SVT, Jeep Cherokee

FF Reputation: 42 mlbbaseball Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (69)
you need to get ALL the fuel out of your tank before you pull the fuel pump fuse

2004 SVT EAP partout, PM me with needs.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:13 PM   #9
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Have a new set of tires and wheels handy for when you come back. The ones that are on there will have flat spots.

Car cover + lots of mothballs!! LOTS!! Critters- including ants- love sitting cars. Mice are not the only critters who damage vehicles that are sitting. I've seen honey bees build nests in the trunks of cars left sitting. It's less likely that you'll have those problems if it's covered. You should always expect something else to be in there.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:17 PM   #10
arlenn
Focus Addict

Fan#: 67609
What I Drive: 2002 Silver ZX5

FF Reputation: 16 arlenn Great Standing Member
sell? and buy a new focus/fiesta/whatever when you return? 3 years is quite a while.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->