2003 Focus P2195 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-09-2011, 08:15 PM   #1
jim249
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 81250
What I Drive: 2003 Blue LE

FF Reputation: 1 jim249 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question 2003 Focus P2195

Hi All; My daughters Focus has an intermittent problem with the CEL. It goes on and off. I pulled the code and it is P2195. After reviewing the freeze frame data, it shows an output voltage of .01 volts from the oxygen sensor. From what I have read this indicates a faulty O2 sensor. Since it is an intermittent CEL, am I on the right track to replace it? Thanks for any help!

More info; Short term fuel trim 0%
Long Term Fuel Trim 0%

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2011, 09:03 AM   #2
iroc34
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 69289
What I Drive: 2011 Ford Taurus Limited

Points 5,145, Level 45
Points: 5,145, Level: 45 Points: 5,145, Level: 45 Points: 5,145, Level: 45
Level Up 98% Completed
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 18 iroc34 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Here check out this thread. Same problems as yours.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113079
Old 02-10-2011, 11:20 AM   #3
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,115, Level 97
Points: 27,115, Level: 97 Points: 27,115, Level: 97 Points: 27,115, Level: 97
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
That does sound like a bad O2 sensor to me. When they go bad, they think that the engine is lean- and richen up the mix. That gives you a lot of black soot on the bumper near the tailpipe.

You should also check the connection, and put some grease on the pins before you plug it in to prevent corrosion. ALWAYS purchase the OEM style sensor- those will simply plug in. If you have trouble getting the sensor to loosen, run the engine for a few minutes and it should come out easier. Also, more than one FF has had problems with Bosch sensors, so you might want to get MC or some other manufacturer. Check out the prices on RockAuto, and we have a 5% discount code in Hot Deals and Shopping fanatics forum. Look for the latest code. On some parts they are ridiculously cheaper.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:37 PM   #4
jim249
Focus Rookie

Hi All; Update. I fixed it with a new pcv hose. A mechanic here in town told me what to do. The o2 sensors were both reading .01 volts. After I explained the details he told me to replace the pcv hose. Most of the Focuses that come into the shop have a bad pcv hose. They go bad at the 90 degree joint which is down in back of the engine by the firewall. He told me to reach down and feel for any problems and that was it. I could feel the hole. it was that big. Oil from the engine gets in there and rots the rubber. The engine was running way to lean for the sensors to work. That was shown by the .01 voltage output. Thanks for the help!
Old 02-12-2011, 06:47 PM   #5
jim249
Focus Rookie

Hi All; After all this work I have done on this car, my daughter was driving home and another girl rear ended the car and totaled it. No one looked hurt but I am sure the pains will appear tomorrow. Sigh!
Old 02-12-2011, 06:55 PM   #6
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,115, Level 97
Points: 27,115, Level: 97 Points: 27,115, Level: 97 Points: 27,115, Level: 97
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Major bummer!!! Well I hope she's ok!! Focis do fairly well in accidents, one of the few small cars to get a "G" rating from IIHS. If you want, I'm sure the General Car Chat forum would be more appropriate for people to offer sympathies, and advice for the next choice of vehicle, or anything else we can help you with. We are a full service car forum, and we don't kick people out who drive other vehicles. Best of luck.

My suggestion: 72 Fury Station wagon if she's younger than 20. She won't be able to drive it far because it will eat up too much money, and she will definitely win in the event of an accident even with an SUV. 77 or eaflier Buick LeSabre is a good choice also- frame on body construction, the Plymouth is unibody of course. You should see the bumper shocks on those old Buicks- whoa, like a small trash can!!

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:21 PM   #7
MarkInTexas
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 111148
What I Drive: 2004 Black SE Wagon

Points 58, Level 1
Points: 58, Level: 1 Points: 58, Level: 1 Points: 58, Level: 1
Level Up 16% Completed
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 MarkInTexas Good Standing Member
+1 on this fix.

My 2004 Focus SE (2.0 Zetec) would idle rough once it warmed up. Sometimes it would even die, but would always restart and drove fine otherwise.

The CEL came on and the codes were p0171 and p2195. The problem? My PCV hose had a crack in it exactly as you describe.

PS. I found this earlier tonight, after the local dealer closed. They won't reopen until Monday AM. I put a little duct tape on as a temporary fix and the problem is solved (until I get the OEM replacement part).

Bookmarks & Social Networks