The new reviews for the 2014 Corolla are starting to trickle in... - Page 5 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-11-2013, 05:52 AM   #41
RedDogAB
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107829
What I Drive: 2007, Silver, ZX5 SES - modified

FF Reputation: 1 RedDogAB Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
It has Civic overtones, which I consider a good thing. Corollas have, to my eye, been incredibly boring looking cars forever. Since the MR2 and the last Celica, there is just nothing in their lineup to raise an eyebrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2013, 07:29 AM   #42
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95399
What I Drive: Mazda-3 , formerly a focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 mr_cassandra Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by valmundo View Post
And it does sound pretty. Why this car continues to sell well I will never understand.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._s_first_test/
I had a 2009 and it was the most trouble-free and reliable car I have ever owned.
It was NOT fast OR sporty.
What it brought to the table was every single day it would get you to your destination without the slightest mechanical incident.
There are many reliable cars which are much more fun, however.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #43
BruceAdama
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115070
What I Drive: 2005 Egg Yolk Yellow ZX3 SE

FF Reputation: 1 BruceAdama Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et cetera View Post
Because we drive a Focus, we are "better" than the Toyota owners? No, I don't delude myself into thinking that.
No... but at least we know that our car comes with a gas pedal.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:28 PM   #44
ViperThreat
Moderator OF DOOM

Fan#: 66026
What I Drive: '06 WRX Wagon 285whp/292wtq

FF Reputation: 8 ViperThreat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by F35-JSF View Post
The 2000 Celica could handle like it was on rails. Smooth a butter shifter too. Add the SS kit and it was like flipping a light switch.

True, but the Celica is discontinued, as is the supra. Beyond maybe their trucks, Toyota hasn't made anything interesting since 2006.

Unless you consider the FRS to be a toyota product (which I dont).

"Ford Focus ST - the official car of message-board circle-jerks"
-Regular Car Reviews
Old 09-12-2013, 10:50 PM   #45
F35-JSF
Focus Addict

Fan#: 102775
What I Drive: 12' Tuxedo Black SE, 08' ZZR-600

FF Reputation: 2 F35-JSF Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperThreat View Post
True, but the Celica is discontinued, as is the supra. Beyond maybe their trucks, Toyota hasn't made anything interesting since 2006.

Unless you consider the FRS to be a toyota product (which I dont).
Actually I do consider more Toyota than suby. Scooby means an awd turbo car to me not Rwd. Toyota also has the is and lfa
:lol:Modding is whatever you define it as. Some people wanna boost, some people need 10 TVs, and some of these homos feel compelled to LED their cars front to back.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:11 AM   #46
ViperThreat
Moderator OF DOOM

Fan#: 66026
What I Drive: '06 WRX Wagon 285whp/292wtq

FF Reputation: 8 ViperThreat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by F35-JSF View Post
Actually I do consider more Toyota than suby. Scooby means an awd turbo car to me not Rwd. Toyota also has the is and lfa

I disagree with you there. While its true that Subaru is known for 4wd, the majority of subarus are N/A. Since we are car-people, we only tend to notice those that peak our interest.

When I look at the FRS, i see subaru performance & balance with toyota asthetics.

"Ford Focus ST - the official car of message-board circle-jerks"
-Regular Car Reviews
Old 09-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #47
F35-JSF
Focus Addict

Fan#: 102775
What I Drive: 12' Tuxedo Black SE, 08' ZZR-600

FF Reputation: 2 F35-JSF Good Standing Member
Quote:
I disagree with you there. While its true that Subaru is known for 4wd, the majority of subarus are N/A. Since we are car-people, we only tend to notice those that peak our interest.

When I look at the FRS, i see subaru performance & balance with toyota asthetics.
The na Subaru is largely the pedestrian transports or the light off-road trail blazers. The FI Subs tend to be more for the enthusiast and the FRS is neither pedestrian or off road capable.
:lol:Modding is whatever you define it as. Some people wanna boost, some people need 10 TVs, and some of these homos feel compelled to LED their cars front to back.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:12 AM   #48
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
It's funny to me when I hear people complaining about the GT-86/BRZ/FRS not being a "Subaru" because its so clear that person knows absolutely nothing about Subaru.
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:56 PM   #49
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 101658
What I Drive: 2014 SGM SE Sport Pkg Sedan 5sp-man

FF Reputation: 10 Arco-Zakus Great Standing Member
Uniform of the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetraveler View Post
How sad but true.
Sad for them maybe. Not for us. If all of them wanted the same cars we do, wouldn't the prices go up?

It does not bother me at all that someone else likes something different than I do. In fact, I kind of like it that way. (I wanted a Saab 93 with a 3-cylinder 2-stroke, even before Erik Carlsson started winning the Monte Carlo Rally in a Saab 96, just because everyone else thought it was weird.)

If the people who like Corollas get as much pleasure from other things in their life as some of us do from our cars, maybe it's not even sad for them.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:30 PM   #50
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 101658
What I Drive: 2014 SGM SE Sport Pkg Sedan 5sp-man

FF Reputation: 10 Arco-Zakus Great Standing Member
FR-S / BRZ = "Jointly developed"

Quote:
... Unless you consider the FRS to be a toyota product (which I dont).
Why's that?

If it were not for Toyota, would that car even exist? The Scion FR-S and Subaru BRZ sold in the USA are the results of a joint development project between Toyota and Subaru, but Toyota originated the plan and had to convince Subaru to join them.

The "86" designation in the Toyota 86/GT86/FT86 version of the same car that is sold in other markets comes from the "AE86" line, which were front-engine rear-wheel drive Toyota Corolla sport coupes and hatchbacks. They were nothing like the boring FWD Corollas of the last few generations, including this latest one.

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
The 86 has been marketed as the spiritual successor to the AE86s by Toyota, with further referencing to a heritage tracing back to the Toyota 2000GT ...
... which goes back over 45 years. The idea was also previously demonstrated by the Toyota FT-HS concept car (FE-RD 2+2 hybrid with a V6 engine) before Subaru contributed the four cylinder boxer engine to help get the cost lower. (I'd guess the bad economy killed the V6.)

What about any of that would make you consider the FR-S to not be "a Toyota product"? Or, looking at it in the opposite direction, what would have to be different about the car for you to consider it to be a Toyota? Just because it is different in important ways from any other Toyota doesn't mean it isn't one.

It's kind of funny to me. We all complain (myself included) about how boring all the cars Toyota builds are. Then they build something interesting and some say, "but that's not a Toyota." At least give them some credit when they do something that's not boring for a change.

Bookmarks & Social Networks