The new reviews for the 2014 Corolla are starting to trickle in... - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-04-2013, 11:50 PM   #21
Et cetera
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 117795
What I Drive: 2013 Focus 2L TDCi 163PS (MPS6 DCT)

FF Reputation: 1 Et cetera Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I drove a Corolla wagon / Matrix a few years ago.

+ = reliable, kept the value well
- = not much fun to drive, and mediocre fuel economy

I wanted a cheap little car for a couple years only and need the cargo space and need a car that is easy to step in (I had a bad back then). It served its purposes well.

I did not feel like researching for a car so I just bought a brand I had good experience with. I think many Toyota buyers keep buying Toyota for the same reason.

After coming back to Taiwan, I needed a car right away so I bought another Toyota here. This is a truly lousy car (I think it is a model sold in Taiwan only), I'll think twice before buying a Toyota again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2013, 09:10 AM   #22
joetraveler
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 116934
What I Drive: 2013 Ruby Red SE sedan

FF Reputation: 2 joetraveler Good Standing Member
Why would you want to buy a car where you have to endure the drive. It is hard to find any new car that with proper care will not last 150, 000 to 200,000 miles. I do not want a car that was co-engineered by Frigidaire. Life is too short and a lot of it is spent behind the wheel. I want to have some fun while I drive. That is why I bought a Focus.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:47 AM   #23
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
The main reason appliance cars sell so well is that enthusiasts and people who generally enjoy driving are the minority consumer.

Most people don't even like cars, let alone the act of driving one. Owning a bland car is what they aspire to because they don't care. Instead of having a flashy car maybe they collect beanie babies or ceramic figurines.
The point is; we have the minority opinion that what you're driving is more important than where you're going and the Corolla is the definitive car for everyone else.
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:58 AM   #24
replica81
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88615
What I Drive: 05 ST

FF Reputation: 3 replica81 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joetraveler View Post
Why would you want to buy a car where you have to endure the drive. It is hard to find any new car that with proper care will not last 150, 000 to 200,000 miles. I do not want a car that was co-engineered by Frigidaire. Life is too short and a lot of it is spent behind the wheel. I want to have some fun while I drive. That is why I bought a Focus.
A "fun" car feels unrefined to most people. Fast, communicative steering probably feels cheap, and too light to most people. A sporty exhaust note, again would make most people think the car is unrefined. A sporty tread of tire will generate more road noise, again, making the car feel unrefined and cheap. The average consumer doesn't enjoy sporty or "fun" cars very much.
SR #272
Beer and Metal.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:52 PM   #25
joetraveler
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 116934
What I Drive: 2013 Ruby Red SE sedan

FF Reputation: 2 joetraveler Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by replica81 View Post
A "fun" car feels unrefined to most people. Fast, communicative steering probably feels cheap, and too light to most people. A sporty exhaust note, again would make most people think the car is unrefined. A sporty tread of tire will generate more road noise, again, making the car feel unrefined and cheap. The average consumer doesn't enjoy sporty or "fun" cars very much.
How sad but true.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:00 PM   #26
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
I hadn't really thought about this before, and it's a good point. How much these points apply depends on the car, IMO.

Let's take my '01 and '12 for examples. They're both fun to drive, but I would say your comments above only apply to the '01. The 2012 is refined and fun to drive at the same time, but it does give up some of the "communicative" feel of the MK1. It's not as much as "driver's" car as the '01.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:59 AM   #27
azdamay
Titular Wit Here

Fan#: 27396
What I Drive: 2004 GTO, 1986 Civic Si, 2010 TC

FF Reputation: 8 azdamay Good Standing Member
It's very true that most people hate driving. Especially if you live in a metropolitan area, where each and every day of getting to and from work is a hell that seems to know no end. So most people don't care about having fun while driving, because no fun can be had. We are in the minority. The fact that Toyota apparently is confident that they can leave the car mechanically very similar to the old model(s) and still sell them like hotcakes, says a lot about the person who buys a Corolla.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:54 AM   #28
TheNotoriousMAZ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107418
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 TheNotoriousMAZ Good Standing Member
Quote:
Absolutely true. My mother won't buy a car unless the steering is so light that she can do it with her pinky finger. Nice for her, but it scares me to drive a car that I can't get a good feel for the road through the steering wheel.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:56 PM   #29
Et cetera
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 117795
What I Drive: 2013 Focus 2L TDCi 163PS (MPS6 DCT)

FF Reputation: 1 Et cetera Good Standing Member
Because we drive a Focus, we are "better" than the Toyota owners? No, I don't delude myself into thinking that.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:32 AM   #30
Bolto
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101615
What I Drive: 2012 Plat White Ti

FF Reputation: 2 Bolto Good Standing Member
The new Corolla certainly looks much better than its predecessor and is no doubt going to be reliable considering a bunch of the carryover powertrain parts. However, for anyone who enjoys driving their car, it would be hard to choose the Corolla over many of the other better-driving options.

But everybody wins when there's a lot of strong competition that forces every manufacture to put out good cars.

Bookmarks & Social Networks