Randylawl's Mk1 Junkyard Scavenger - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom

Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom Post pictures and information of your Focus being built or your car images here. We want to see your Focus! More Images: Visit Our Online Ford Focus Gallery

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-03-2013, 11:11 PM   #1
randylawl
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 118580
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 2 randylawl Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Randylawl's Mk1 Junkyard Scavenger

I'm new here. I've been lurking now for some time, but it was time for me to create an account and join the focus community. I got my car in December of 2012 and I've been slowly working it into a great little hot hatch with a huge help from those who lost their cars to the junk yard. I consider myself very lucky to have found everything I've done to this car in the junk yards near where I used to live.

When I bought the vehicle, it looked to have been bought new and driven with little maintenance. It's been in at least one accident, as the front bumper is pretty messed up and all the metal bracing behind it is crushed in, like someone hit a pole or something. The rear drums still need changed as they occasionally grind like a pad is worn out. It will get fixed.
After buying the car, I realized it desperately needed motor mounts. I replaced the passenger side mount, which completely nullified the cabin vibration I was having and made the car finally feel like it wasn't a piece of crap.

On to the junk yard stories:
I've spent a lot of time in the two locations for pick-a-part VA. I lived halfway between the two locations before moving to take a new job, and would frequent them during the buildup of my last car, a 1998 Mustang 3.8 with a supercoupe M90 blower swap. I posted of this car on a V6 mustang specific forum, but won't link here. It was a crazy awesome vehicle that I'll miss, I'll leave it at that.
Once I started looking at the aftermarket for the focus, I realized that there is a huge community surrounding these cars. Where the V6 mustang had several dedicated and knowledgeable forum members, the focus crowd seems to have a larger coverage of more discreet modifications for the cars, which I really appreciate because this truly is one of the few american tuner cars.

I began looking at junk yard cars at the beginning of the summer for anything I could use with mine. My first discovery was a SPI parked smack in the middle of the ford section. What caught my eye initially were the poorly-wired aftermarket headlights, that looked to be ebay crap upon closer inspection. I was eager to get the wheels on the car, they looked to be the dark argent SVT EAP wheels, but after finally getting off the 'anti-theft' lug nuts and precariously jacking the car up on each side, I decided the quoted price of $250 at checkout was a bit much for me to risk, as the wheels were pretty torn up from being brought in there and I wasn't sure they'd seal.

The best find on this car was the exhaust, it had intact a borla catback system with very little mileage. A sawzall later and I had it in my possession, a mere $15 dollars I was supremely happy to pay. The exhaust took quite a lot of work to get on however, as it's for a sedan and needed about five inches cut out and coupled, and apparently the stock flange bolts are welded on or something, which required a lot of under-car grinding. Honestly it wasn't that difficult, and I love the sound and top end this system gave me, even with stock header and flexpipe.
On top of the exhaust find (And included in the price, seriously) was focus sport front and rear strut tower braces, and an iceman intake tube. I still can't believe I found a junkyard car with full catback, front and rear strut tower braces, and a somewhat rare intake, but this set the stage for several future returns to look for more parts. I should also mention the car had rear lowering springs, the only clue I could find as to what they were from was a little knob in the dirt and a tag on them that said 'Gaz shocks'. Google searches turned up some kind of british spring kit I believe, I'm not sure exactly what it was from but the springs went right in my car.

Several months later, I hadn't done much to the car in a while except plasti-dipping the wheels very crudely and drooled over the thought of a tuner. I had an SCT on my mustang and know how useful they can be, so it's in the cards as one of my next purchases. My friends who helped me with the first junk yard voyages returned for another weekend of searching, this time at our other location. We showed up fairly late in the day, around 2pm, with three hours to spare before close. No more than ten minutes into looking, my friend yells out to check out this focus with leather seats he found.
I knew this wasn't a base car, as far as I know only SVT's came with leather, and we'd not yet seen an SVT in the junk yard in any of the like 15 trips we'd made thus far. This was pure luck, because what I thought might just be an engineless SVT with blue, red, or black seats, ended up being a european appearance package SVT with full interior in great condition. I grabbed the seats, front springs, and rear spoiler for a very good price. I've tossed around the idea of selling them or trading for more go-fast parts, but I guess I need to get some more posts to actually list them for sale. They look phenomenal in the car, and with all of the parts I've installed I've got an excellent red/black color scheme going, with all my underhood colors as blue. I'm hoping to get a blue LED kit for my main gauges soon.

I think I've saved quite a bit just by recycling these parts from the junk yard. Next up I want to get a tuner, some decent headlights, wheels, maybe a header (have to decide if I want to risk going catless or not), 65mm tb to go with the 2000 IM I got last weekend for $20, and LED gauges.
If you actually read all of this, I really appreciate it and hope my pictures were decent. I hope to meet up with some other Virginia focus fanatics if there are any.

-randylawl

~ Rally Revolution [#25] ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2013, 11:16 PM   #2
Malibooya
Quarter Tank Racer

Fan#: 68054
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 7 Malibooya Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Now this is a build thread I like. Well done, sir. You're a lucky SOB finding a full Recaro interior like that.

Honestly, I think you just need some wheels and you'll be good to go.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:21 PM   #3
X-Lr8
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 107130
What I Drive: 2004 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 X-Lr8 Good Standing Member
How does the exhaust sound with the borla and the iceman? That is the setup I want for my brothers car.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using FF Mobile 4
Old 09-03-2013, 11:31 PM   #4
Svizzara
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98554
What I Drive: '01 SPI Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Svizzara Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
very impressed that you found those seats in a scrapyard... looks like you even found the rears too. and they're in decent shape. nice!
Old 09-03-2013, 11:42 PM   #5
randylawl
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Lr8 View Post
How does the exhaust sound with the borla and the iceman? That is the setup I want for my brothers car.
The thing I like about the borla setup is that its louder than stock, but reaches full volume in the midrange, so you won't be attracting every cop in the county. It's got a very noticeable tuner sound, kind of hollow and deep and very responsive to throttle input. Off-throttle it has muffled pops and cracks, but the whole setup makes sound linear to your right foot. I love it. The iceman was kind of loud and throaty on stock exhaust, kind of sounded like a generic CAI from ebay would, but it compliments this catback well.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:16 AM   #6
matmatician
Cars&Corgis

Fan#: 81361
What I Drive: A Garsh Dern 'Murican Flag, Ducatis

FF Reputation: 4 matmatician Good Standing Member
Dang man, as someone who has made so many trips to the junkyard that the staff knows me, you got SUPER lucky on your finds. I did find a Centennial edition in one of the junkyards here though, one of 3k made. Rear discs and leather seats and all. I was too lazy to pull them though, otherwise I would have made some $$$
ROTM June '13, PNW Crew #42, SR #245, Rally Rev #02
Old 09-04-2013, 02:38 PM   #7
Malibooya
Quarter Tank Racer

Fan#: 68054
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 7 Malibooya Good Standing Member
This thread - cool thread, right? Nice to see someone salvaging parts and making a new home for stuff. It's a great progress story, and we expect more great finds from the OP.

Aside from this post, there are five replies.

A girl makes a thread with some painted lugnuts and this goddamn site goes crazy.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:09 PM   #8
matmatician
Cars&Corgis

Fan#: 81361
What I Drive: A Garsh Dern 'Murican Flag, Ducatis

FF Reputation: 4 matmatician Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibooya View Post

A girl makes a thread with some painted lugnuts and this goddamn site goes crazy.
Lol yep... Welcome to the internet!!
ROTM June '13, PNW Crew #42, SR #245, Rally Rev #02
Old 09-04-2013, 03:25 PM   #9
Nevin W
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98043
What I Drive: 1994 Chevy S10 4x4

FF Reputation: 2 Nevin W Good Standing Member
This is an awesome build thread! And a true build thread at that! You have no idea how jealous I am of your seats! I want to eventually do a complete front and rear swap with recaro seats.
PNW Crew #45
1994 Chevy S10 4x4 w/ 4.3 Vortec
2002 Sonic Blue Focus SVT Supercharged - For Sale
2002 Liquid Grey Metallic Wagon - Written off
Nevin
Old 09-04-2013, 05:13 PM   #10
randylawl
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibooya View Post
Wait--there are girls in other threads?? LIKE REAL GIRLS?

Bookmarks & Social Networks