Questions of drop in filter vs CAI (not a which is beter, just questions) - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-03-2013, 11:38 AM   #1
MichaelBeers
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93055
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 MichaelBeers Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Questions of drop in filter vs CAI (not a which is beter, just questions)

I just was reading about the snorkel delete and cutting of that piece or whatever. Everyone was saying you will get most benefits when you do a drop in filter. For the guys doing a drop in, what are you doing with the stock box? Are you just taking the lid off? Did you remove that weird tube thing under it? Or is everything the same as stock except the filter?

Also, besides cost, why all this instead of a CAI from fswerks or steeda or whoever? And if I got a CAI would I still benefit from removing the snorkel and everything?

I've never had a car with so much options/piping to delete or change. Just wanting to see what any why.

Thanks,
Michael

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2013, 11:44 AM   #2
FocusBoy58
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03

Fan#: 38424
What I Drive: 01 Turbo,12 SE,95 Vette 396

Points 20,193, Level 89
Points: 20,193, Level: 89 Points: 20,193, Level: 89 Points: 20,193, Level: 89
Level Up 69% Completed
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 14 FocusBoy58 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBeers View Post
I just was reading about the snorkel delete and cutting of that piece or whatever. Everyone was saying you will get most benefits when you do a drop in filter. For the guys doing a drop in, what are you doing with the stock box? Are you just taking the lid off? Did you remove that weird tube thing under it? Or is everything the same as stock except the filter?

Also, besides cost, why all this instead of a CAI from fswerks or steeda or whoever? And if I got a CAI would I still benefit from removing the snorkel and everything?

I've never had a car with so much options/piping to delete or change. Just wanting to see what any why.

Thanks,
Michael
In my opinion the delete and custom snorkel is a cheap and viable option only issue is if you ever take the car for service due to any engine related issues you no longer have the stock unchanged factory pieces to put back on since they were cut and modified. In the case of a CAI or Shortram you still retain pieces to return the vehicle to 100% stock without concern of voiding your warranty when you bring the vehicle back.

Overall price is the concern. Performance Per Dollar might add up until you bring the car in for warranty. In the end more power can be had by a bolt on intake for more $$$.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #3
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Points 23,770, Level 94
Points: 23,770, Level: 94 Points: 23,770, Level: 94 Points: 23,770, Level: 94
Level Up 43% Completed
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Forum Activity 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%
FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
I just was reading about the snorkel delete and cutting of that piece or whatever. Everyone was saying you will get most benefits when you do a drop in filter.

Not the most benefits per-se, but the best hp-dollar ratio. You have to do the snorkel delete/drop in together, or you don't see the full benefit of either.

For the guys doing a drop in, what are you doing with the stock box?

I keep the stock box in it's original form.

Are you just taking the lid off?

No. This leads to heat-soak and hesitation in stop-and-go driving, which I do enough of to not want. Plus, imho, it sounds horrible.

Did you remove that weird tube thing under it?

That's the airbox resonator. Mine is currently removed with the box opening sealed to keep engine bay heat out. No real gains other than sound.

Or is everything the same as stock except the filter?

Basically. I'm pretty sure that you don't have to cut/remove the shroud underneath the snorkel either, but there's no data in either direction.

Also, besides cost, why all this instead of a CAI from fswerks or steeda or whoever?

Depending on the CAI you're looking at, a lot. Many of the non-shrouded intakes experience the heat soak, and most all give up some of the low-end torque to make gains up higher in the RPM range.

And if I got a CAI would I still benefit from removing the snorkel and everything?

Most likely not, and definitely not anything you're going to notice in either seat-of-the-pants or fuel mileage.

Thanks,
Michael
I broke your post up to answer each question individually. Fwiw, in the next day or so I should have my new drop-in so that I can remove my Steeda. I've also run the Typhoon and Griffin (Newmission) Mod, and nothing that I've had works as well on my commute and with my driving style as the drop-in/snorkel-delete. If I raced my car often, stayed in the higher RPM range, or did a lot of Interstate driving then I would feel differently.
2014 FiST-
Old 09-03-2013, 12:29 PM   #4
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

Points 4,098, Level 40
Points: 4,098, Level: 40 Points: 4,098, Level: 40 Points: 4,098, Level: 40
Level Up 74% Completed
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
I concur with dyno;everyday driving is what's important to me so my ?s were answered in his one post.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:29 PM   #5
Juicedz
Focus Addict

Fan#: 108814
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Hatchback SE, 5sp

Points 2,139, Level 27
Points: 2,139, Level: 27 Points: 2,139, Level: 27 Points: 2,139, Level: 27
Level Up 93% Completed
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 3 Juicedz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusBoy58 View Post
In my opinion the delete and custom snorkel is a cheap and viable option only issue is if you ever take the car for service due to any engine related issues you no longer have the stock unchanged factory pieces to put back on since they were cut and modified. In the case of a CAI or Shortram you still retain pieces to return the vehicle to 100% stock without concern of voiding your warranty when you bring the vehicle back.

Overall price is the concern. Performance Per Dollar might add up until you bring the car in for warranty. In the end more power can be had by a bolt on intake for more $$$.
The fun police might be lurking. Honestly though, this is why I went with steeda and ordered a second factory tube. I can swap out to stock in 10 minutes flat.
Hatch Nation#24 168whp 153wtq
Old 09-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #6
MichaelBeers
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
I broke your post up to answer each question individually. Fwiw, in the next day or so I should have my new drop-in so that I can remove my Steeda. I've also run the Typhoon and Griffin (Newmission) Mod, and nothing that I've had works as well on my commute and with my driving style as the drop-in/snorkel-delete. If I raced my car often, stayed in the higher RPM range, or did a lot of Interstate driving then I would feel differently.
I definitley don't want to lose low end.

I do both hwy and somewhat curvy mountain roads almost every day. In your opinion which would I benefit more from? Also if I did a drop in would just removing the snorkel do enough? Or should I try and remove that other piece. Cutting is out of the option incase I have to sell the car later one.

And thanks for the detailed response already!
Old 09-03-2013, 12:39 PM   #7
MichaelBeers
Focus Enthusiast

Just saw where you said I probably don't have to cut/remove the shroud. Awesome. I think money wise I'll do a drop in and remove snorkel. I had the resonator removed at one time but put it back. Although I didn't plug the hole. I may have to do this so I won't be getting a cool "sound" from other CAI's.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:41 PM   #8
dyn085
That Guy

Points 23,770, Level 94
Level Up 43% Completed
Forum Activity 13%
Quote:
I definitley don't want to lose low end.

I do both hwy and somewhat curvy mountain roads almost every day. In your opinion which would I benefit more from? Also if I did a drop in would just removing the snorkel do enough? Or should I try and remove that other piece. Cutting is out of the option incase I have to sell the car later one.

And thanks for the detailed response already!
Honestly, I think the majority of us are best served with the snorkel delete/drop in. If you did only/mainly highway mileage you would probably see an increase in mpg by doing the Griffin mod, but the problem with that, in my opinion, is that if you weren't satisfied with the results then a replacement box is pretty expensive. Trust me

I don't believe that the shroud has to be cut/removed. It's something that we were experimenting with to facilitate a better air transition. Realistically speaking, when the car is in motion there is already enough air available. Just removing the snorkel should suffice as there is no data that specifically shows otherwise.
2014 FiST-
Old 09-08-2013, 07:59 PM   #9
MiTi91
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115532
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 MiTi91 Good Standing Member
@dyno85, how did you seal the air intake silencer hole. And do you have to seal it? Thanks.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:27 PM   #10
dyn085
That Guy

Points 23,770, Level 94
Level Up 43% Completed
Forum Activity 13%
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiTi91 View Post
@dyno85, how did you seal the air intake silencer hole. And do you have to seal it? Thanks.
I used a piece of aluminum and sealed it to the box with some clear RTV
2014 FiST-

Bookmarks & Social Networks