First Visit to Ford with Real Transmission Issues - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-03-2013, 11:28 AM   #1
FocusBoy58
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03

Fan#: 38424
What I Drive: 01 Turbo,12 SE,95 Vette 396

FF Reputation: 14 FocusBoy58 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (16)
First Visit to Ford with Real Transmission Issues

Some may feel this doesnt apply to this section of the forum but considering the mods and the power the car makes I think it is fair to say it belongs here.

So Today my Focus is at Ford with 17,000 Miles on the clock (alot of city driving since I have moved to philly)

I have had the I,H,E combo on for quite some time now, I believe over a year at this point.

Car is still making pretty good power and apparently tuning is now availible which means even more power is availible.

Lately I have been noticing massive slips and heavy jerking under weak acceleration/partial throttle. Car seems fine at WOT granted the power it puts down after 2nd seems much weaker than at first when the mods were done.

Obviously now I have the vehicle at Ford and they have already asked me questions about mods. My only saving grace is the vehicle has not been tuned. So I told Bob the Service writer very politely that the mods are in direct violation of the warranty on the Engine and If I was having mechanical issues related to the engine that my mods would free them of any liability according to Fords warranty policies. In the case of the transmissions failure to shift at certain times, extreme jerkiness through the gears at low rpms and loud grinding in any gear under load; up slight inclines, that they would have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt those parts cause all of those issues.

The car was also never in to get the Transmission reflashed because I was never having issues and that old saying applies "If it isnt broke dont fix it".

Just wanted to inform you guys on the situation.

I am Sorry I have been neglecting the forums so much but if you ever need to contact me. Private Message me, it goes straight to my phone.

Have a great day and I will be adding more when I can.

Last edited by FocusBoy58; 09-03-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2013, 02:28 PM   #2
FocusBoy58
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03

Fan#: 38424
What I Drive: 01 Turbo,12 SE,95 Vette 396

FF Reputation: 14 FocusBoy58 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (16)
Ford did the TSB transmission update on the PCM and ECM. Car seems a little better on drive-ability but still seems to be slipping under partial throttle.

The service writer stated that if the problems continued that they would bring it back in and pull the transmission for replacement.

Hopefully this Update has settled the problems if not I will going back in.

I will update this next week if I decide to take the car in.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:18 PM   #3
MG_MK3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114522
What I Drive: 2013 Blue Candy Focus Hatchback SE

FF Reputation: 0 MG_MK3 Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
So your foci is a DCT vs the stick? Good luck to you, hopefully that fixes the major problems.
Instagram @miKeyGilmore #MK3SLöCUS
Old 09-04-2013, 05:06 PM   #4
Bliky
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95135
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 4 Bliky Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I've had mine in for trans problems. They've done a couple updates and some "resets". After every one the car seemed fine for a couple hundred miles then goes back to the part throttle slipping. I haven't been able to get my dealer to even take the trans out as every time it's in they do the "reset" and everything seems fine. They give it back THEN problems start happening. From everything I can figure that when that slipping happens that's mechanical. I'm almost 100% sure my car needs a clutch replacement. Guess when the DCT tune comes out we will find out.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:53 PM   #5
EZLivin
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 119123
What I Drive: 2013 White Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 EZLivin Good Standing Member
I had the same problem.....

I had the exact same problem with my 2013 SE Focus. I have had it into the dealership FIVE times already. They have done the TSB transmission flash once and have done the clutches twice on the car. There is a problem with a seal in the housing that starts leaking and gets oil on the clutches. I have to admit since they have done the work, it doesn't slip but the car doesnt drive the same way. It shifts much harder than before. I only have 13.5k miles on my car! I am working with Ford right now on a buyback (which is pretty lame because I have some good plans for this car) but I just don't have as much confidence in it. My girlfriend drives a 2012 SEL with 27k miles and the transmission finally just gave out today. It gave her an error message that stated "Transmission malfunction Service now." And I didn't mistype this; it literally was spelled this way lol. The car lost power and stopped accelerating. Ford did great on everything but the tranny on this car. Good luck with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusBoy58 View Post
Some may feel this doesnt apply to this section of the forum but considering the mods and the power the car makes I think it is fair to say it belongs here.

So Today my Focus is at Ford with 17,000 Miles on the clock (alot of city driving since I have moved to philly)

I have had the I,H,E combo on for quite some time now, I believe over a year at this point.

Car is still making pretty good power and apparently tuning is now availible which means even more power is availible.

Lately I have been noticing massive slips and heavy jerking under weak acceleration/partial throttle. Car seems fine at WOT granted the power it puts down after 2nd seems much weaker than at first when the mods were done.

Obviously now I have the vehicle at Ford and they have already asked me questions about mods. My only saving grace is the vehicle has not been tuned. So I told Bob the Service writer very politely that the mods are in direct violation of the warranty on the Engine and If I was having mechanical issues related to the engine that my mods would free them of any liability according to Fords warranty policies. In the case of the transmissions failure to shift at certain times, extreme jerkiness through the gears at low rpms and loud grinding in any gear under load; up slight inclines, that they would have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt those parts cause all of those issues.

The car was also never in to get the Transmission reflashed because I was never having issues and that old saying applies "If it isnt broke dont fix it".

Just wanted to inform you guys on the situation.

I am Sorry I have been neglecting the forums so much but if you ever need to contact me. Private Message me, it goes straight to my phone.

Have a great day and I will be adding more when I can.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:23 PM   #6
MG_MK3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114522
What I Drive: 2013 Blue Candy Focus Hatchback SE

FF Reputation: 0 MG_MK3 Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusBoy58 View Post
Ford did the TSB transmission update on the PCM and ECM. Car seems a little better on drive-ability but still seems to be slipping under partial throttle.

The service writer stated that if the problems continued that they would bring it back in and pull the transmission for replacement.

Hopefully this Update has settled the problems if not I will going back in.

I will update this next week if I decide to take the car in.
curious to know how its holding up with the power you are putting down...
Instagram @miKeyGilmore #MK3SLöCUS
Old 09-23-2013, 01:13 PM   #7
OPsDad
Focus Addict

Fan#: 108661
What I Drive: 2014 Fusion Titanium AWD Moonroof

FF Reputation: 2 OPsDad Good Standing Member
My 2013 Titanium Sedan with DCT is in for the third time in 2 weeks for symptoms that sound pretty much like those described on this thread. It also makes a chattery sound under light acceleration, in addition to stutter/lunge at take-off under light throttle, like when in the driveway, exiting my garage, etc. They said that new firmware came out this weekend to deal with this issue. Previous updates fix it for about 200 miles and then it comes back. If it does it again, I'm going to start the dialogue with the dealer about buy-back, and IF that happens, I'll pay the difference and get an ST.
SR #265 | "Quia currus certatus, inferius"
13 Focus Ti Sedan w/Handling Pkg, MFT Sony 10 NAV, Leather
13 Focus SE HB Sterling Grey, 201A, Leather
06 F350 6.0L DRW King Ranch, Sunroof, Rhino Bed Liner, 4" MBRP Turbo Back, AirRaid, Edge Chip w/Pyro
Old 09-24-2013, 08:17 AM   #8
spiikey1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 111130
What I Drive: 2012, Focus Trend Hatch Silver

FF Reputation: 1 spiikey1 Good Standing Member
ive had similiar issues wtih mine, when turning the wheel it'd make noises, assuming its the clutch. Took it to ford they said its wearing in the clutch, nothing to worry about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54_3_qF2xhQ

this vid is not my car but its a good example of whats happening
Old 09-24-2013, 09:16 PM   #9
spiikey1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 111130
What I Drive: 2012, Focus Trend Hatch Silver

FF Reputation: 1 spiikey1 Good Standing Member
Hi guys i called ford today regarding this issue... They said the reflash stated above is something that has a 10% chance of working depending on how bad the clutch/trannsmision is...

Furthermore they said that by next week they will have a clutch tcb..watever that may be.. but they told me basically one is a reflash on the computer of the car... the other is involving slight mechanical work.. this problem seems to be common but this fix apparently has a 95% chance of fixing the problem.. Maybe go into your ford dealers and get it checked...

It is under the new car warranty after all so its free!
Old 10-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #10
CunFFS13
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 117411
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Gray Ford Focus S MT

FF Reputation: 6 CunFFS13 Good Standing Member
Are you ready for the second, the third..... The endless number visit to the Ford dealer?
Good luck!

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->