mikebontoft's BMW 2002 Build thread! - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom

Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom Post pictures and information of your Focus being built or your car images here. We want to see your Focus! More Images: Visit Our Online Ford Focus Gallery

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-02-2013, 10:55 AM   #11
MattyM3CSL
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63091
What I Drive: 14' Silver ST, 02 Sonic Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 2 MattyM3CSL Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Great project car Mike! I have a soft spot for 2002s. My first car ever was a 74 2002tii pasted down from my father. It needed a paint job and a top end rebuild when I got it. Also the tii fuel injection pump went, so I found a set of side draft webers for it. I drove it around for a few years in high school, but unfortunately bad rust got to the rear shock towers. I was out of money to repair it so we had to part ways. I miss that little car.

Your right about the S14 M3 engine. While itís a fantastic engine, itís extremely expensive. Itís not uncommon for a basic 2.3L rebuilt to cost $8k +, a 2.5L stroker will be well over $10k before you know it.

Looking forward to your build!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2013, 11:05 AM   #12
tukaniSVT
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST

Fan#: 5521
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus 2008 Edge SEL

FF Reputation: 34 tukaniSVT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Nice pic up ... yay another BMW player ... but yours is going to have a fun build along with it.

Looking forward to seeing you move along with this project.

Ray
Hatch Nation Member: #147

R.I.P - FELLOW FF MEMBER, IZZY, BLK2k3GTS, will always be remembered. We will compete on a different course again one day.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:06 AM   #13
mikebontoft
Toxx

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
thanks man, you had yourself the best model there!

I think I'm gonna go in today and put it up on a lift/pull the trim off, do a very rough check with my wheels and a test fit with one of my svt seats. And try to assess any other rust issues (little nervous about this. outer rockers are getting bad.)

edit: snuck in there Ray... haha. Yeah I couldn't wait any longer to get into a BMW. Not quite what I expected, but I think I'll like it.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 09-02-2013, 12:10 PM   #14
azdamay
Titular Wit Here

Fan#: 27396
What I Drive: 2004 GTO, 1986 Civic Si, 2010 TC

FF Reputation: 8 azdamay Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
So this means you're getting rid of the Mazda?

I always wanted a 2002... even went so far as looking at a couple. But they were rough, rougher than what you have, and I don't have the tools or skills to make it better. So, I passed. Don't see too many of them on the road these days. Even in CA and this is the land of rust-free cars.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:19 PM   #15
mikebontoft
Toxx

Yeah I might. I probably should... or I won't. I wonder how that engine would fit in the 2002. lol.

I might as well get it out of the way and post all the rust I find on it. Word has it, there's a guy around here that used to have 40+ of these stocked in a storage facility. I also hear he's down to about 8 of them, but has tons of parts laying around. LSD's, panels etc. Gotta get ahold of him. I'd like to swap out the front section, left fender and some outer rockers if anything is clean enough. If not, new outers are about $120 each. Also the door panels and lower center console.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 09-02-2013, 11:39 PM   #16
mikebontoft
Toxx

Alright, I've spent the day giving it a proper inspection. I've got good, bad, and ugly to post. Large post alert!

The good!
wheels should look good once I clean them up, repaint and have some tires installed. I can't truly test fit because these are 4x108 and the BMW is 4x100. 1" Wheel adapter should be perfect fitted with some 205/50R15 tires. (note the second picture is not mounted either... just tried to give it that effect)

Untitled by mikebontoft, on Flickr

The bad.
Documented all my rust. everything. looks bad when you look at all these photos in a row.

Part of the front nose and left fender

hole in the driver's door. I'll probably just go find myself a cleaner door.

Front left fender

More left fender and top of the front clip as well. Fender replacement will be the best course of action. I should be able to cut and weld a new corner piece for the clip.

Bit of rust under the rear bumper. Shouldn't be too bad.

Little bubbling around the rear fender. No doubt there's a little rust there.

And... the ugly. It looks bad, but fortunately the rocker rust is only contained to the OUTER panels. Those of which are available as $120 replacements. The structural bits are fine.
Passenger side is the worst. MIGHT be lucky enough to repair the driver's side.

And the absolute worst. The part that makes me nervous for now... The passenger side floorboard. It's rotted. It's soft. I won't know just how big the spot is until I pull the carpet out, which will be one of my next tasks. I think I'll be OK though if I can cut it out and weld in some new metal.

And just a good overall underbody shot. There's some rusted through spots on the front nose at the bottom too. I'm thinking of just cutting some rectangular holes to get rid of the extra rust. Besides, the front valence covers that all up.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:39 PM   #17
mikebontoft
Toxx

Oh yeah, and I'm having carb issues. Doing some research, somewhere along the way someone installed an aftermarket Weber 32/36. The problem is when I first cold-start it, well, it doesn't start. It floods the engine bad enough that I wash the rings and end up with 50psi compression results . I'm finding a lot of half-assed repairs on this thing now. Smog pump is disabled, EGR disabled, vacuum advance on the distributor is disabled . Consider everything a mess.

But yeah, so it will idle like absolute crap, and when I try to rev it the thing bogs down. But it floods on cold start. After running for awhile, it seems to run better again. Turning the mixture screw out allows it to run better. According to Weber, this is supposed to add MORE fuel. I don't get it either, because the other day it ran awesome after I did a valve adjustment and new plugs. Went to crank it today and it ran just like it did before.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:05 AM   #18
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 46 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
That sucks about the carb, and holy cow Mike I'd would have walked away from that car with all that rust. Are you sure you can repair all of it?

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 09-03-2013, 10:13 AM   #19
mikebontoft
Toxx

Yeah not quite what I was hoping for, but that's OK. I'll have to get in touch with the local guy and see what he's got for sale.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:04 PM   #20
mikebontoft
Toxx

I has moar rust under the floorboards too... I actually put my foot through the passenger floor. found some under the accelerator pedal and now looking at the underside photo, may have a big patch under the drivers seat. it's all covered in tar insulation though.

Pics when I get home in a bit, but I'm not the least bit worried about it.

ALSO, I stripped off all the nasty (80s!) black stick-on trim someone added way back when. AND my engine is trash. doesn't run all that well which I could attribute to a carb or ignition issue, but more likely rings. oil smoke on acceleration. runs fine warmed up.

So with that, I'll just have to complain about buying another engine... one built locally for a vintage racing series in which it has high compression pistons (I think 11:1 or somewhere in that range) "bigger" camshaft (specs are unknown to me at this time) the older 121ti head which has a smaller combustion chamber and it's had a port/polish who knows what on it. Also equipped with a dual carb setup.

If this is the "standard" high compression/dual carb setup, it should produce 150-160hp. And enjoy high RPM runs. AND it should only set me back about $800 .

Bookmarks & Social Networks