mikebontoft's BMW 2002 Build thread! - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom

Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom Post pictures and information of your Focus being built or your car images here. We want to see your Focus! More Images: Visit Our Online Ford Focus Gallery

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-31-2013, 10:06 PM   #1
mikebontoft
Toxx

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Cool mikebontoft's BMW 2002 Build thread!

Just brought it home today! Hoping to sell another car that I just don't have much desire to work on... anyway, it's not without some rusty spots and the engine ran like absolute crap when I bought it.

2002 by mikebontoft, on Flickr

Untitled by mikebontoft, on Flickr

4Runner did great once again keeping up with traffic driving to and from Provo with the trailer and car!

It also came with some bumpers, so I tried them on. Safe to say it WILL NOT be getting them back.

1975 2002, 4 speed manual 2.0 M10 Carbed. 150K miles. After performing a valve adjustment and new spark plugs, it runs great. Smokes a lot, mostly from burning off the oil leaks. Probably also from the PO driving it with a bad misfire due to maladjusted valves. OR I may just have to tear it down and do a rebuild, or upgrade the engine. The clutch is also going out on it, unfortunately.

Seats are in great condition, well the front ones anyway. BUT I really think I'm going to swap them with the SVT Focus seats I have in, well, my focus. I hate vinyl seats. They suck. But they're perfect so I can sell them.

Current plans are to fix the rust and work on piecing together the body kit. Fender flares, front (turbo style) bumper, euro rear bumper. Possibly quad headlights if I can find them. Also thinking about using my 15" Merkur XR4ti basketweave (BBS) wheels and some wheel adapters to fit them. And mudflaps.

SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics

Last edited by mikebontoft; 09-02-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2013, 10:18 PM   #2
Browningguy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94520
What I Drive: 2003 Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Browningguy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Should be a lot of fun, they are very simple to work on compared to the new cars. My first was a 1968 1602, also had a 1970 and a 1973 2002. I always thought they were a lot of fun back in the late 70's through early 90's when I drove them.

And Inka Orange was always my favorite color on the 2002.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:36 AM   #3
mikebontoft
Toxx

This one is 17 years older than I am. I never had the desire to own one back when they were new. haha.

I'm thinking of keeping it either red or white. the SVT seats are red-insert so I think either one is fine. But yeah, seriously! super easy to work on. The valve adjustment took me about 15 minutes and it was a whole new car.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 09-01-2013, 10:44 AM   #4
ah1f39
Alone in the Cave

Fan#: 70006
What I Drive: 2000 Explorer 4x4

FF Reputation: 28 ah1f39 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Mike are you going to look for the Weber set up?
Old 09-01-2013, 11:21 AM   #5
mikebontoft
Toxx

no... I don't know. got one? lol.

I'm actually trying to figure out the best way to go ITBs and fuel injection on it. the Megasquirt I have for the focus is not sufficient for a twin turbo V8 IMO.

I have an already assembled and working MS1 Extra and a harness. GSXR ITBs are on eBay for around $100. I should be able to program most of my stock sensors (will need to grab an IAT sensor though) to be used with the ms.

I'll have to fab up an intake manifold flange to run a short section of tube to couple the ITBs to it, then some more tube to make a 90* bend over the ITBs for some extra runner length. probably just run 4 clamp on air filters.

I've got a parts 944 in the shop waiting to be hauled off. It's got a larger magnaflow exhaust on it and I will take the external fuel pump and maybe the fuel hard lines off of it just for ease.

Not sure about the best place for the map sensor signal though.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:55 PM   #6
mikebontoft
Toxx

Here's the only video I have of it right now. Obviously smokey. If it turns out to be rings, we will go on an awesome journey of a high compression, high RPM, ITB megasquirted motor. :)

If it's just valve seals or something... well the only difference in that build is the compression. I know it sounds like crap, but the muffler is sitting in the trunk. I guess it fell off the hanger and he cut it off. You can see my other leaks in the video too. haha.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:13 PM   #7
Blue5ive
R.I.P Kona

Fan#: 83941
What I Drive: 2003 TW Blue ZX5

FF Reputation: 8 Blue5ive Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
Nice.
Hatch Nation #9
"2 by 2 Hands of Blue."
Old 09-01-2013, 08:41 PM   #8
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Sub'd you still thinking M engine?
Old 09-02-2013, 01:52 AM   #9
mikebontoft
Toxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGlassMaker View Post
Sub'd you still thinking M engine?
Nah James... M engines will fetch a premium I'm not willing to spend. I would say no matter what, I'm going to build an M10 (stock, and current engine). Dual carbs are damn expensive, so it's getting my old megasquirt either way. I have all the BMW tools at work, and a great parts supplier. Looking to build it similar to a rally spec (not accurate on the name, just made that up) engine. Sounds rather beautiful.

I won't discount looking for an M42 or similar engine though. An S14 would be great but the last one I saw was $6K.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:15 AM   #10
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 46 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Nice Mike

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat

Bookmarks & Social Networks