Cold Starts = perfect start, Try to restart after driving for a while = Fail :-( - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-29-2013, 03:34 PM   #1
riskyriv
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 118368
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 riskyriv Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question Cold Starts = perfect start, Try to restart after driving for a while = Fail :-(

Hi there,

I drive a 2003 ZX3 with a mtx-75 and zetech and a 116,000 km (low, I know)

I've scoured everywhere for a solution to my 1.5 year old problem and nothing definitive is coming up. I've went through the entire sticky on this forum of "Car won't start.." and still nothing conclusive. I'm hoping someone, anyone, can help. I can pay in pizza and cat pictures.

So the problem....
After getting into my car for the first time, I can start it, it starts perfect, and drives fine. After driving and turning off the car after it has warmed up, I can go inside a store/get gas/get pizza *hint hint*/ etc. and go to get back into my car and start it, and it won't stay running. I can get it started if I hit the throttle, but it won't stay running if I let go. It doesn't happen EVERY single time, but it does happen about 50% of the time.

Something to note, After turning the ignition with the key, I can keep the car running if I sit on the throttle and not let it throttle down, but the second I let off the gas, she throttles right down and dies. This is extremely difficult and dangerous to do with a 5spd and I just want to fix the damn issue. I'm extremely mechanically inclined, my old man/grandfather used to be a transport truck mechanic, and I grew up with mechanics my entire life, so please do not be afraid of dishing out the lingo...I swear I can take it. I also swear that the former statement was not me trying to stick my nose in the air. I admit I need help with this issue.

The only things I've done thus far is taken off the PCV and soaked it in carb cleaner and threw it back on. It seemed to help a bit, but that could've been all in my head. I've lived with the issue since I did that about a year ago, but it was such a pain in the a** to take it off that I'd like to find definitive parts to fix/replace before I take another crack at it.

Please help, Jebus!

- RiskyRiv

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2013, 03:43 PM   #2
Gav-O-SVT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 113561
What I Drive: '02 Infra-Red SVT

FF Reputation: 6 Gav-O-SVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Is your CEL on?
Old 08-29-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
riskyriv
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav-O-SVT View Post
Is your CEL on?
Nope.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:57 PM   #4
Gav-O-SVT
Focus Addict

When was the last time you replaced the fuel filter/ spark plugs? Have you tried running injector/ fuel system cleaner? Have you checked your coil pack for cracks or tested the spark on each terminal? Could also be something up with your TPS. Im just thrown stuff out there, sorry for the bombardment of questions...
Old 08-29-2013, 04:02 PM   #5
Gav-O-SVT
Focus Addict

You can also try cleaning your IAC...
Old 08-29-2013, 04:03 PM   #6
riskyriv
Focus Rookie

Quote:
When was the last time you replaced the fuel filter/ spark plugs? Have you tried running injector/ fuel system cleaner? Have you checked your coil pack for cracks or tested the spark on each terminal? Could also be something up with your TPS. Im just thrown stuff out there, sorry for the bombardment of questions...
No worries. I need to narrow it down so the more the better.

Fuel Filter/spark plugs were done about 30,000km ago.
Injector/fuel system cleaner is done a couple times a year, most recently, last week.
Haven't checked the coil pack or tested the spark on each terminal.
Bad TPS throws a CEL doesn't it?
Old 08-29-2013, 04:09 PM   #7
Gav-O-SVT
Focus Addict

It should if it is a reoccuring problem but ive had experiences where the computer gets retarded and does not throw a CEL, it is very rare but your CEL bulb could be burnt out, have you tried using a code reader to make sure there is nothing on there, also your IAC gets all sooty and dirty and every now and again i take mine off and spray it out with MAF cleaner. A dirty or bad IAC can cause your car to run like crap and stall out/ not stay running, ect...
Old 08-29-2013, 04:16 PM   #8
riskyriv
Focus Rookie

Quote:
It should if it is a reoccuring problem but ive had experiences where the computer gets retarded and does not throw a CEL, it is very rare but your CEL bulb could be burnt out, have you tried using a code reader to make sure there is nothing on there, also your IAC gets all sooty and dirty and every now and again i take mine off and spray it out with MAF cleaner. A dirty or bad IAC can cause your car to run like crap and stall out/ not stay running, ect...
I need to correct myself on something I mentioned. I've been calling the IAC as the PCV incorrectly. I did a quick image search and found the part that I cleaned was in fact the IAC. It was a pain to get at, I remember doing it from underneath with absolutely no view, had to do it by feel.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:23 PM   #9
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Moved to General Technical Chat.

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 08-29-2013, 04:24 PM   #10
Gav-O-SVT
Focus Addict

Hmmm, well try to check the other things i mentioned and if you or a friend has a code reader, plug it in and just make sure there is nothing there, just to be safe... I had a contour and it had almost the same problem as you are having but it was every time i started it it ran like crap and would not stay running, i tried cleaning the IAC and it was better but did not fix the problem. I purchased a new one and cleaned the injectors and BAM she ran like a charm, and it never even threw the CEL so i had to guess and i got lucky that i got it right.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->