I really need help here!! No compression. - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-28-2013, 06:01 PM   #11
dcraig1000
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 118290
What I Drive: 2003 orange svt 2.0 dohc

FF Reputation: 1 dcraig1000 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
havent checked the gaps yet. today I pulled the cams off because they wouldnt line up at tdc so i could fit the locking bar in the slots. went to tdc on the crank, then reinstalled the cams. locking bar fit in the cam slots and the pin fit in the crankshaft holding hole. put timing belt back on, reoved pin and bar, rotated a few times, everything came back to where it should. as I was rotating crank, I was looking at the valve caps and noticed that some of the intake valves werent coming up as far as the rest. what does that mean? also, at tdc should the exhaust valves on #1 cylinder be open or shut? it seems to me they were open. Sorry about all of this, but im totally overthinking things i think....also I know the intake blowing off has nothing to do with the timing.

Last edited by dcraig1000; 08-28-2013 at 06:04 PM. Reason: more info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2013, 06:04 PM   #12
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
If you have more gap with some then the others that you can see with the eye then more then likely you have bent valves
You had the valve cover off ? Why didnt you check the gap this would of kept you from doing everything else you did today if you have a lot of gap between the cam caps and cams

TDC the Int / Exh valves should be closed

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 08-28-2013, 08:43 PM   #13
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
'some of the intake valves werent coming up as far as the rest. what does that mean?'

Stop right there, the valves are BENT. Tom is right, you may have done even more damage there.

Just your timing recheck/set could bend them if you went about it wrong. SVT not hard to work on but definitely not a beginner's engine either.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:52 PM   #14
dcraig1000
Focus Rookie

Well amc49, I appreciate your advice, but Im certainly not a "beginner" I have timed these engines before with no issues, my question was what could have happened to make it jump time and just reassurance that the valves were bent due to the valves not coming up all the way. Like I said, Im overthinking things because I was nowhere near the timing components on this maintenance visit with this vehicle. So Ill take your comment with a grain of salt. I did check the clearances today and the gaps on a couple of valves are way too wide. verifying bent valves.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:53 PM   #15
Milton
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89715
What I Drive: 2007 Black Focus SES 2.0 L4 4 Door

FF Reputation: 6 Milton Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
Back fires so bad it blows the intake manifold off. No compression. To me it seems the timing is seriously off and may have serious mechanical damage. I would bore scope or just pull the head.
Just pull the head!!!
Old 08-29-2013, 07:39 PM   #16
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
I said 'if' so your out there.

Beginners ask questions like

'some of the intake valves werent coming up as far as the rest. what does that mean?'

and........

'can i have the timing 180 out? if so how can i tell?'

and do this....

'went to tdc on the crank, then reinstalled the cams.'

Could have bent a pair just doing that. Two pistons at TDC there and one is on overlap, if not DEAD ON, only close, you can bend on that cylinder (#4) by simply tightening cams down, depending on which way the slight error is in your pick of final cam location. One way won't hurt, the other way will in your possible two way error. Need dead on TDC on crank and exhaust cam goes in slightly too far advanced and intake too retarded, then sneak up on timings. Can't hit if done right there. Try to put cams in dead on time and slight error opposite direction of what is mentioned and you hit to bend.

Sorry. The beginner's comment was a FYI to others, not necessarily this case.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:04 PM   #17
dcraig1000
Focus Rookie

I guess Im just frustrated that this happened for no apparent reason. If I was even doing anything close to something that could mess the timing up, I could understand, but Im just searching for the magical answer of what the heck made the timing jump out of the blue? the car was running fine then bam, it happened. Ill be pulling the head tomorrow for sure and taking it to the machine shop
Old 08-29-2013, 09:23 PM   #18
Milton
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89715
What I Drive: 2007 Black Focus SES 2.0 L4 4 Door

FF Reputation: 6 Milton Good Standing Member
There is no rhyme or reason in the universe, s--t just happens. Just deal with the facts. Gain as much actual information as possible to determine the facts and then proceed in a logical manner. In this case my reasoning is you had a backfire that blew off the intake manifold. All valves should be closed when the spark plugs fire, so I would want to make sure the valve timing was right. I would also want to know if the timing was off, did it cause any head, piston or other damage? A compression check is useless if the valve timing is off, and could lead to more damage in a interference engine. So to me that means scoping all the chambers and/or pulling the head so you can assess exactly what happened. After you know the extent of the damage you can plan the corrective action.

But this is just my train of thought.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:30 PM   #19
mikebontoft
Toxx

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
when was the last time the belt was changed?
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 08-29-2013, 10:25 PM   #20
paulg127
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 55998
What I Drive: 2003 Black SVT

FF Reputation: 3 paulg127 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
These timing belts sure seem to be age related as well as mileage. They don't seem to age well.
Does the owners manual say 80k miles OR 8 years, whichever comes first?

Bookmarks & Social Networks