another need help thread, but no seriously, i need help - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > SPI Performance (2000-2004)

SPI Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Split Port Injection engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-27-2013, 06:52 PM   #1
tryingtofixthis
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 118287
What I Drive: 00 blue FF, 91 black Volks Jetta

FF Reputation: 1 tryingtofixthis Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
another need help thread, but no seriously, i need help

okay hello everyone this is my first post on a car forum, although i am familiar with forums and well, cars, this is a first. but i came to you guys cause i need some help, cause i up.

so heres the story, bought a used 2000 Ford Focus(FF) 130,000 miles, great condition, from family(girlfriends mom), whom also bought it from thier mother.both of which drive like super grandma speed.

the car ran great and ran well and at first just had a few maintainace issues,(filters, flushes plugs ect) and would suddly drop off under hard accceleration at high speeds. like it was getting too much air(code P1071 i think, i finally was able to get it to thrown a cel code at some point)

anyways my (insert name/s) decided to pull the wires from the coil pack, then proceded to wire them back wrong (instead of 1234, i counted 4321) drove like this for a second, then rewired it wrong again up the road, it ran better. drove it like this pretty far and up a steep hill in first or second gear (auto trans who knows?) turned it off to help a coworker with trailer then tried to turn it back on. wouldnt start or if it did start it ran very rough. did some trouble shooting then pulled it away from where it was.

now i got it jacked up and timing belt off, new one on, and in time, but still running super rough and sounding like the valves are clacking. then i turned it off took things apart again put them back to gether and now it wont start again.(accessery belt is off but harmonic balcer ect ect is on, whats necessary to run for a moment is in tact and on as well as full batt.)

any thoughts would be great thanks for reading through my mess i dont get on comps much, more so lack of acess to net, but i will try to check and respond as much as i can.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2013, 07:34 PM   #2
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

Points 28,920, Level 99
Points: 28,920, Level: 99 Points: 28,920, Level: 99 Points: 28,920, Level: 99
Level Up 35% Completed
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%
Forum Activity 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%
FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Do you know about the valve seat issue with the SPI? Cause to me it sounds like that's you problem.

Do a compression test on all four cylinders. I bet cylinder 3 or 4 don't have any or is very low.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:05 AM   #3
tryingtofixthis
Focus Enthusiast

no i did not know about the issue. but that sounds like my issue, damage to 2 spark plugs was at 3 and 4 i beleive as well. i tried to do a "manual" compression test with my thumb but it did not seem effective i will look into borrowing someones gauge.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:54 AM   #4
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Points 28,920, Level 99
Level Up 35% Completed
Forum Activity 9%
Yep, the SPI regardless of how well you take care of it will drop a valve seat usually in #4. Although it has happened to others in #3 and #1. These engine are flawed from the factory and can be fixed with a head rebuild. If you wait till after it can cause extensive damage to head, piston, and some times block.

That's why if you look up spi heads online they go for a premium cause everyone with a SPI needs them.

Most people like me just opt for a zetec swap and call it a day. A complete zetec swap can usually be done for less than half the price of a new or refurbished SPI head.

But..... IMO. The SPI is damn good engine, and gets great mileage, is easy to work on, and reliable. If the head is rebuilt I believe it will last for ever. A lot will just go the route of doing a head rebuild for this reason.

Just in case your wondering why ford did put out a recall and fix the problem, so now you want to sue.

Don't bother ford don't care. It usually happens between 100,000 to 160,000 miles well after the factory warranty goes away. So they never bothered with a fix.

If you do decide to opt for. Zetec swap I made a write up for it, if you have a questions let me know. Ther are several very knowledgeable guys on the subject as well.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s....php?p=4336361
Old 08-28-2013, 10:28 AM   #5
tryingtofixthis
Focus Enthusiast

ahhh i figured that would be the route(head rebuild/swap)i would have to go.... i saw a totalled 2000 FF online with spi head but it was a 5spd was thinking about that swap then rebuilding the head as a side project but honestly im trying to go about this the cheapest and most effective way possible.

so basically my options are buy a head, rebuild a head or swap engine and possibly trans...

guy wanted 800 for his totaled ff it was messed up in the front, i was thinking if i could talk him down to 5 it would be worth it. i take a look at you swap but if the price is gonna cost me over 300(cause i expect to get 200 once i scrap what left of his focus when im done with it.) i dont think i can really do it.. what really sucks ios if the body and trans and suspension wasnt in such good shape i would probably junk the car but its a good car and i like the way it rides.

anyways appriciate all the help dont know how to give rep or i would, i will take a look at your write on the swap and see if its feasible for me.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:46 PM   #6
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Points 28,920, Level 99
Level Up 35% Completed
Forum Activity 9%
You could use anything off a 5speed spi on a auto spi. It wouldn't matter. Its when it comes to the transmission you would run into problems.

As for the zetec swap, you'll need a whole car to pull parts off of. Better to get one wrecked in the rear than the front. Like I did. Cause if your not familiar with the zetec engine bay, it makes it hard to realize what's missing when you go to piece things together in your car. Like water and vacuum lines.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:08 PM   #7
tryingtofixthis
Focus Enthusiast

5spd trans has different mounts? no hole in my firewall? or something like that?

well i guess thats good to know. as for the zetec swap only foci have thst engine just now getting a chance to look at link. so it might be a dumb question...
Old 08-30-2013, 09:30 AM   #8
tryingtofixthis
Focus Enthusiast

so im rolling this around, if my understanding is correct, theses are the main reason swapping engine is the best way to go.

replacing the head, basically means i should replace rods and pistons(rings ect)
replacing the engine, with the same, the same thing could basically happen, unless i replace the head on the engine i buy as well. or buy a brand new refurbished engine that will probably cost more than all the parts for the DOHC engine+parts by far......

so replacing the engine or completely rebuilding the engine are my only possibilities.

so what are the chances of less than 2 pistons being badly damaged?
or the camshaft being damaged?

what DOHC engine am i looking for, vin wise, any DOHC?(SPI is vin:P, so VIN:3 or VIN:5?)
Old 08-30-2013, 10:11 AM   #9
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Points 28,920, Level 99
Level Up 35% Completed
Forum Activity 9%
Hell I didn't realize you where from ohio. The easiest swap on your focus will be to go with the same year engine as your car.

Being your from ohio will make this easy.
Carconnectionohio.com check out their parts invatory and type in zetec engine. Since you swaping a engine in the intake runners won't matter just get one for the same year.

Tell them your doing a zetec swap and see if they can hook you up with all the parts like they did me. They let me make a list of things I wanted. For $500 out the door.

Make sure to tell them you want the alternator, throttle body, and cable. Other wise they will take that stuff and cut the cable. The cable and throttle bodies are hard to find. And they redesigned them in 2002.5, which you can use either design aslong as you have a set of both the cable and throttle body.

Write down the list of parts I have in my write up. Cause if they pull a engine from a car they get cut happy on the water lines and vacuum lines. But I probably wouldn't be a bad idea to buy new anyways. You also want to make sure you get a ECU for the same transmission if you have a auto. If you plan to keep your spi auto. If you go with a zetec 5 speed just take that ECU and trans, axles, ect...

Don't forget that engine harness. It goes all the way back to the fuel pump. They was good and pulled mine correctly.

Now if you want to do a SPI rebuild it is possible to just redo the head. As long as the block, pistons, rods, ect. Aren't damaged. I've seen people get away with a undamaged block but most of the time it takes everything out. When you go to buy a new/ refurbished head. They will list if it has the proper valve seats in, trust me everyone knows about the seat problem and they fix it when they redo the head. I would opt for a new head because I've seen people take the refurbished head and just file the ruffness down and it looks like shit. You can get a nice new head for a couple hundred off ebay from a couple good company's.

Yes, if you get a new head with good valve seats it will last. It won't happen again. But make sure the seats are done right.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:00 PM   #10
tryingtofixthis
Focus Enthusiast

yep out here in ohio.... but yeah exactly what i planned on doing, im gonna call a few junk yards and see if they wont do the exact thing your talking about.

i got all the parts written down but i got to find a junk yard thast will make that deal on top of that, no consistant internet access is not helping things, got you engine swap needs written down on a paper next to me. i want to go 5spd but i dont think i can afford all the extras that would go into that so im just gonna keep it automatic for now.

as for the rebuild, well i wouldn't feel that i have done quality work if i just replace the head, because more than likely like your saying something else is damaged and will cause me problems later or run like crap.

so now im just looking for the right engine(+stuff) at the right price. i will probably being using everything from what ever car i get the engine so ill probably try to be there when things get taken apart or do the taking apart myself hopefully.

any suggestions on what junkyard to look at, that one you listed didn't have any foci in their parts search, and that pretty far from me.

but yeah im thinking the swap route is the best route to go afterall..

this is gonna be a long "day off" tues.

Bookmarks & Social Networks