im looking to buy a focus too (mkI) - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-26-2013, 06:36 PM   #1
moonmaster
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 118233
What I Drive: huffy

FF Reputation: 1 moonmaster Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
im looking to buy a focus too (mkI)

hello all, this is my first post and my first day as a member! i have lurked from time to time so i am a bit familiar with the community itself. i joined here because it seems to be where to find the most solid information.

anyways, i'm looking to find a first gen focus on the cheap to run as a daily driver until i spend the winter and my christmas bonus making a grand project out of it. the goal is making it into a stage rally car for the 2014 season but before i get ahead of myself and sink thousands of dollars into a 13 year old car i'd like to know some of issues to look out for that are model specific and how to avoid unnecessary headaches down the line. i've all but given up trying to find someone selling their rally-ready focus, which would be ideal.

any common issues that i should be looking for? i'd surely be rebuilding the engine and replacing nearly everything over the winter, but id like to be able to depend on it as a commuter before all of that and could use some pointers possibly from people that have bought (or sold) a lemon here and there ;)

bit of a strange question now that i ask it, but i hope to learn as much as i can about these things.

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
LouBomb
It was all a DREAM!

Fan#: 32545
What I Drive: A magical pony by the name of Sally

FF Reputation: 9 LouBomb Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
If you buy a sedan- make sure it doesn't have the SPI engine in it.. They have a known issue of dropping valve seats..

There is a sub forum here called rally revolution.... I think a few compete.. They'd be great for info...

A unicorn for the mk1 hatch is the duratec engine... The hatch always had the zetec engine which is a very strong engine... So no real worries...

If you are planning to rally obviously check the subframe for rust and etc... And the mk1 had a recall for the fuel pump..

Sent from the Tardis using FF Mobile-

Formely IMPORTKILLA35
Focus Revolution Club--Hatch Nation
Old 08-26-2013, 07:08 PM   #3
moonmaster
Focus Rookie

definitely going zx3, good point about the subframe.

and thanks for the rally revolution sub forum referral, didn't know about it, but it makes perfect sense as these things are born to rally.

i like the zetec for all of the parts that are available, but would you recommend i plan to swap for a duratec? low end is key for rally and i cant turbo in Group 2, i guess when the time comes that's another debate to be had...

thanks for the reply
Old 08-27-2013, 02:23 PM   #4
LouBomb
It was all a DREAM!

Fan#: 32545
What I Drive: A magical pony by the name of Sally

FF Reputation: 9 LouBomb Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I wouldn't really bother with swapping with a duratec... IMO...

You can always build your block and have a strong N/A build..

Formely IMPORTKILLA35
Focus Revolution Club--Hatch Nation
Old 08-27-2013, 04:26 PM   #5
JPFocus86
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 115084
What I Drive: 2005 InfraRed ZX4 ST

FF Reputation: 1 JPFocus86 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBomb View Post
I wouldn't really bother with swapping with a duratec... IMO...

You can always build your block and have a strong N/A build..

This.

The duratecs seem to have more low end right from the factory, but there are plenty of parts for the zetecs.

Current: InfraRed 2005 ST
Old 09-06-2013, 07:34 PM   #6
moonmaster
Focus Rookie

yeah, you're right about the swap not being worth it and part of the reason for me wanting a zetec is the extensive parts availibility and cheap engines. when i get to building up the engine i'll have a lot more questions about that.

i've looked at two so far. one wasnt willing to go down to the right price and the other was beaten severely and repainted, let's just say... poorly. im waiting for the right one at the right price but really am getting a bit impatient lol

my plans are to do this right. group 2 in rally america wont allow turbo and thats fine with me because i dont wanna rely on power to get me through stages. most of my initial budget will be suspension and safety gear eventually leading to a respectable NA build with a usable power curve. thanks for the tips and ill post a pic of what i end up with!

Bookmarks & Social Networks