real world SVT mpg? - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > Focus SVT

Focus SVT The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK1 2002-2004 Focus SVT.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #21
Tarmac
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88653
What I Drive: 2003 Black SVT ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 Tarmac Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
25 city, 30+ highway for me.

My SVT is bone stock except for tires, and I find that it is very sensitive to driving conditions.

I work near my home and was getting 23-26 mpg for almost an entire straight year, even with occasional highway trips. I shift very conservatively and rarely wring it out (I have never bounced the rev limiter, ever). On a 45mph straight, I am always in 6th gear. I started wondering if something was wrong with my car.

Recently, I needed to go on a long road trip and I had to find out for absolute certain whether something was up, so I decided to try to hypermile it. The trip takes several hours on flat highway with no stops, I actually got up to 33 mpg for the entire trip with AC on most of the time, going 60-65 mph.

So, now I finally do believe those SVT people who get close to 30mpg all the time. It all depends on driving conditions.

Remember, with premium fuel you are losing a huge $/efficiency advantage over regular unleaded cars. Do the math before you decide "yo dawg 26 mpg premium sounds not bad." In my area premium is 30 cents more per gallon.

Build #94
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2013, 02:32 PM   #22
daytonmvp23
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 111415
What I Drive: 2004,Pitch Black, SVT

FF Reputation: 1 daytonmvp23 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmac View Post
25 city, 30+ highway for me.

M On a 45mph straight, I am always in 6th gear. I started wondering if something was wrong with my car.

Remember, with premium fuel you are losing a huge $/efficiency advantage over regular unleaded cars. Do the math before you decide "yo dawg 26 mpg premium sounds not bad." In my area premium is 30 cents more per gallon.

So if you look in the manual it says 45mph is 5th gear (You will get better mpg by keeping it in 5th and maybe 4th if going up hill. but 5th gear on straights at 35- 45 gets better mpg at least in my car.
Also if you do the math for our car you save money by running 93 over 91 and over regular
Old 09-05-2013, 08:12 PM   #23
tdriver
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 92591
What I Drive: 02 Focus SVT w/Powerworks S/C

FF Reputation: 1 tdriver Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Blower MPG

With a PW system i still average between 25 to 28 mpg mostly highway and get around 310 to 320 miles on a tank.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:28 PM   #24
Gav-O-SVT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 113561
What I Drive: '02 Infra-Red SVT

FF Reputation: 6 Gav-O-SVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Damn, my last tank I only got 215 mi... I guess it would help if I didnt wait till last minute to leave for work and school, I end up smashin like a bat outta hell to get there on time lol.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:56 AM   #25
tdriver
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 92591
What I Drive: 02 Focus SVT w/Powerworks S/C

FF Reputation: 1 tdriver Good Standing Member
MAF Clean

For best results, and i have to thank Turbo Tom for this, make sure your MAF sensor is clean it makes a HUGE difference. Once i start loosing mpg, it'll drop from 320 miles down to 280 miles per tank i know it's time to clean it. I've made it part of my oil change service. It takes about 15 minutes with some cleaner. Real easy but highly effective.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:33 PM   #26
boardliquid01
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114884
What I Drive: 2003 Silver Ford Focus SVT EAP

FF Reputation: 1 boardliquid01 Good Standing Member
I average 25 to 31 MPG with all stock everything. Only modification is motorcraft copper plugs, MSD coil and wires.

Just did a 900 mile trip and averaged 31.3 mpg hwy.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:31 PM   #27
Fierceintent
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 117556
What I Drive: 04 infra red Svt, 03 2.3 red sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Fierceintent Good Standing Member
I just recently bought my svt and a few days ago did a 30mile trip each way (non stop). Had the cruise set at 70mph, I got 30mpg. Also my new tires aren't broke in, not even 1000 miles on them. I also have a 2003 pzev(auto) ford focus which has the 2.3 engine, same as the ST. The best I've ever gotten was like 33mpg on the highway. City driving, Live in l/a/orange county area, both of those cars get around 18, 20 if i'm lucky. Also I have a lead foot in the city.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:33 PM   #28
Fierceintent
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 117556
What I Drive: 04 infra red Svt, 03 2.3 red sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Fierceintent Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdriver View Post
For best results, and i have to thank Turbo Tom for this, make sure your MAF sensor is clean it makes a HUGE difference. Once i start loosing mpg, it'll drop from 320 miles down to 280 miles per tank i know it's time to clean it. I've made it part of my oil change service. It takes about 15 minutes with some cleaner. Real easy but highly effective.
Do you just use MAF cleaner or does it have to be that eltric cleaner?
Old 10-11-2013, 12:43 PM   #29
TWINSCRW
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 119492
What I Drive: 2002 silver SVT

FF Reputation: 1 TWINSCRW Good Standing Member
I've noticed huge difference in economy with different brands of gas.
Costco super I got 24.7 MPG
GoGas ethanol free premium is much higher 29.5 MPG
Old 10-14-2013, 11:05 PM   #30
lmcd314
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90550
What I Drive: 00 spi-sold, 2003 cd-silver SVT zx5

FF Reputation: 1 lmcd314 Good Standing Member
i usually get around 250 miles a tank, (mostly city) i do drive fast but i upshift quick. i have seen 280 when i was driving more highway,(top off to bone dry) i wouldn't be surprised to see 300 miles out of a tank if i set the cruise to like 62 for the entire tank. i'm having a new catalytic converter installed this week, hopefully that will help. :)

Bookmarks & Social Networks