knocking/rattling noise right front wheel - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-25-2013, 08:47 AM   #1
homelessmonkey
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98498
What I Drive: 2003 black zx3

FF Reputation: 2 homelessmonkey Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
knocking/rattling noise right front wheel

Hey everyone Smile,

I just recently changed
-Both lower control arms with poly bushing and moog ball joints
-Both sway bar links
-Both outer tie rod ends

Ive been experiencing a rattle/ wobble sound coming from my right front wheel. It started when I changed the sway bar link.

Got it checked out by my mechanic and he said every thing is snug and tight. The noise sounds like a bad sway bar link he said but since I just changed that it couldn't be the problem.??
He said it might be the strut plate that is bent or w.e so he quoted me 180 per complete strut so 360 for the pair plus 2 hours of labor.
I know I could get a complete suspension for around that and install it myself well the front at lest not touching the rear since its covered in rust.

Anyways back to it, my questions are
1- what could the noise be ? Sway bar or bushing? I don't wanto change the struts if the noise will still be there
2- Anyone recommend a suspension. I don't wanto be too low since my car is for all season, I might get an svt suspension from steve at tousley ford.

Here's a video of the noise.
http://s1309.photobucket.com/user/ho...21d4a.mp4.html

Any thing helps thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2013, 09:03 PM   #2
DoctorJ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 113834
What I Drive: 2001 Twilight Blue sedan

FF Reputation: 1 DoctorJ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
If i had to guess, I'd say the struts. Hard to tell though. I thought i had the same problem, and it turned out to be the rubber bushings on the caliper guide pins. I figured it out by driving over train tracks like 100 times. The noise went away when I pressed on the brakes going over the tracks. $5 for some bushings cured it.

Everything else on my front suspension is brand new so I was stumped for awhile.

The SVT Suspension kit is great for a daily driver. Well worth the cost. Easy to install as well.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:07 PM   #3
my_beautious_ZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32386
What I Drive: 2002 charcoal XZ3

FF Reputation: 5 my_beautious_ZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by homelessmonkey View Post
1- what could the noise be ? Sway bar or bushing? I don't wanto change the struts if the noise will still be there
understood, but replacing the front sway bar or its bushing is no minor task either.

You don't say how many miles are on your vehicle, but since it's a decade old, it might very well be in need of new struts now (or very soon) anyway. I haven't looked at the exchange rate recently, but I bought complete Monroe struts a few years ago on sale for way less than $300/pair. The national retailers sometimes offer 10% or 20% discount coupons for suspension parts.

Finally, since your rear is covered in rust, then your front might not be in the best of shape either. So, if you do the job yourself, expect some resistance when removing the pinch bolt and strut from the knuckle. After that, installation is a cinch.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:18 PM   #4
homelessmonkey
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98498
What I Drive: 2003 black zx3

FF Reputation: 2 homelessmonkey Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Turned out to be the front strut!

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->