2015 Volkswagen Golf R: Just a Golf—a 296-hp, AWD Golf - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-20-2013, 03:10 PM   #1
FFTeam
Administrator

Fan#: 41389
FF Reputation: 4 FFTeam Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2015 Volkswagen Golf R: Just a Golf—a 296-hp, AWD Golf

We’re still without the MkVII Golf in the U.S., much less the comparo-winning GTI, and Volkswagen now twists the knife a little more. Today, the company unveiled the ultimate Golf: the all-wheel-drive, 296-hp Golf R.

Unlike the front-wheel-drive GTI, the Golf R is sold exclusively with a Haldex all-wheel-drive system. The car also gets a cross differential lock at each axel, which VW calls XDS+, that provides brake-based torque vectoring. Power comes from a turbocharged and direct-injected 2.0-liter four-cylinder, which produces 296 horsepower at 5500 rpm and 280 lb-ft of torque from 1800 to 5500 rpm—notice that maximum torque is sustained until the engine reaches its peak power. Compared to the GTI’s version of the powerplant, the Golf R’s is fitted with a unique cylinder head, new exhaust-valve hardware, new pistons, and a larger turbocharger that operates with a boost pressure of up to 17.4 psi. The exhaust system is of the two-stage variety for optimum aural pleasure under heavy loads, and, as is the case with the Focus-ST, intake noise is piped into the car’s cabin.

In European specification, there is a choice of a six-speed manual or a six-speed dual-clutch automatic. Volkswagen says that the sprint from 0 to 62 mph takes 5.3 seconds with the manual and just 4.9 seconds with the automatic—we recorded a 0–60 time of 5.9 seconds in our last test of a Golf R. Specifying the automatic adds a launch-control feature while the manual features shorter throws and a shorter shifter than do workaday Golfs. Top speed is governed at 155 mph, and VW R development chief Guido Sever says that 168 mph would be possible without the electronic limiter. "We are considering that option," he adds.

The manual-equipped Golf R is rated for 33 mpg and the automatic receives a mark of 34, although that’s on the optimistic European cycle. VW claims a fuel-economy improvement of 20 percent over the previous-gen Golf R—available only with a six-speed manual in the U.S., and rated for 19 mpg in the city and 27 on the highway—largely due to efficiency gains in the switch from the EA113 mill to the new EA888, as well as the car’s weight loss of some 100 pounds. (That drop in weight is inherent to the Golf MkVII and its MQB architecture; there are no specific lightweight components on the Golf R.)

Compared to the standard Golf, the chassis of the R is lowered by nearly 0.8 inch—still some 0.2 inch lower than the GTI—and features an adaptive setup with choices of Comfort, Sport, and Race modes, each offering differentiated rebound and compression rates within each individual damper. (These Dynamic Chassis Control settings work in conjunction with VW’s Driving Profile Selector, which alter transmission and throttle settings according to which mode is selected: Eco, Normal, Individual, Comfort, and Race.) The GTI's variable-ratio steering system is used in the Golf R, and, for the first time, the stability-control system can be switched off entirely.

This ultimate Golf is a "street fighter" and "ready for the racetrack," according to the brand. To illustrate that, we’re told that Nürburgring lap times are 15 seconds quicker compared to the MkVI Golf R, and 11 seconds better than the best time set by the new MkVII GTI. But the Golf R isn’t an uncompromising racer, "It is still a Golf." That's a good thing, considering that the European customer base for the dearest Golf is comprised mainly of affluent men between the ages of 40 and 60. These people like to brag about lap times, but they’re not interested in frequent visits to the chiropractor.

Styling changes to the Golf R are relatively modest, fitted with front and rear fascias unique to the car, as well as specific 18-inch aluminum wheels. The chromed quad exhaust outlets a nice touch, if perhaps too reminiscent of Audi’s high-performance “S”-badged models. The interior of the flagship Golf is finished in cloth and faux suede, while the blue instrumentation that’s become synonymous with top-shelf Golfs carries over. The color’s use in the car extends to ambient lighting.

Volkswagen will offer its European customers the Golf R in both two- and four-door guises beginning in December. Volkswagen has yet to confirm the R for U.S. sales, but we understand it will arrive in showrooms here a year after the European market, or about six months after the MkVII Golf and GTI.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2013, 06:46 PM   #2
LouBomb
It was all a DREAM!

Fan#: 32545
What I Drive: A magical pony by the name of Sally

FF Reputation: 9 LouBomb Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
hot damn

focus rs..if you ever come..this is the minimum you need to attain
Focus Revolution Club
Formely IMPORTKILLA35
Old 08-20-2013, 07:03 PM   #3
Gav-O-SVT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 113561
What I Drive: '02 Infra-Red SVT

FF Reputation: 6 Gav-O-SVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Interesting, nice write-up.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:48 PM   #4
macdiesel
I used to drive this

Fan#: 31579
What I Drive: 2010 mazdaspeed3

FF Reputation: 21 macdiesel Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Hot damn!
Old 08-20-2013, 09:45 PM   #5
matmatician
Cars&Corgis

Fan#: 81361
What I Drive: A ONE COLOR FOCUS, Ducatis

FF Reputation: 4 matmatician Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
No price listed... I'd be curious how much this thing costs. And if VW doesn't make a rally version, it would be a shame. That car sounds like an absolute blast though. If only ford offered an AWD option...
ROTM June '13, PNW Crew #42, SR #245, Rally Rev #02
Old 08-20-2013, 10:03 PM   #6
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 53 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by matmatician View Post
No price listed... I'd be curious how much this thing costs. And if VW doesn't make a rally version, it would be a shame. That car sounds like an absolute blast though. If only ford offered an AWD option...
Of cousre it'll be cheaper then a TT rs, w/ similar drivetrain. I'd take the RS500 w/ fwd over a awd foci.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 08-20-2013, 10:12 PM   #7
1slofofo
Adam

Fan#: 92422
What I Drive: Mk3

FF Reputation: 6 1slofofo Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by matmatician View Post
€38,325 (about $51,000).

http://www.leftlanenews.com/frankfur...en-golf-r.html
Old 08-20-2013, 10:21 PM   #8
goingFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 75386
What I Drive: 2005 CD silver ZX3 SES

FF Reputation: 1 goingFocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
WET dreams.....
Old 08-20-2013, 10:34 PM   #9
matmatician
Cars&Corgis

Fan#: 81361
What I Drive: A ONE COLOR FOCUS, Ducatis

FF Reputation: 4 matmatician Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slofofo View Post
OUCH!!!! Man. Call me what you will, I think id go for a SRT8 challenger for that kind of money. Granted that's a totally different kind of fun, but gosh dang that's a lot of moolah. Actually. I'd get an ST, figure out how to make it AWD (because snow, gravel, and dirt) and get myself a Ducati Diavel too. That should come out to about 50 some odd thousand.
ROTM June '13, PNW Crew #42, SR #245, Rally Rev #02
Old 08-20-2013, 10:56 PM   #10
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 53 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slofofo View Post
Wow, Isn't that TT rs money?
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131