Which car company has built the most flops? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-18-2013, 04:53 AM   #1
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Which car company has built the most flops?

I was reading a article today and it made me think, although GM quality has gotten better since chapter 11.

If you look back over the years they really have had a lot of one hit wonders, that seem to shine when first intoduced to the public but are deemed unwanted and turn up horrible sale records and taken out of production.

Who do you think has had more flops than GM?

The article in question was about the $65,410, 12 mile per gallon, 6.2 liter 556hp CTS-V wagon.

GM has only managed to sell 1200 since its debut in 2011. 2013 will be the final production year.

Now keep in mind, as you may be thinking it was maybe the price or the milage that keep the sales down.

Since 2010 ford has been selling the raptor with a 6.2 411hp, 11mpg, for $43,000.

They have since sold: about 15,000 by the end of 2012.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2013, 06:42 AM   #2
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
That's an oddball car, but I want one- if only I could afford 12 mpg. Now I want one even more because it's going to be super rare. Keep in mind that the car enthusiast magazines rave about that car, but unfortunately people don't see crossovers as the station wagons that they are. They are under the illusion that crossovers are just urban SUVs- as if the typical SUV is still an off-road vehicle. So they buy a Mercedes SUV or crossover instead of a hot-rod Caddy that just obliterates it's competition in performance. Not just acceleration, but handling as well since it has that magnetorheological (or whatever it is) suspension that is the shining star of all GM vehicles that have it IMO.

They took a chance, but yeah, I think GM has sold more Volts than that car.

Ford has had their stupidity in the past, and some will come in the future. How long ago was it that consumers proved to Ford that we'd rather have a Focus or Fiesta hatchback than a sedan? These car execs don't know who they are selling to. They just guess. The Edsel, is a good example, it was a technological wonder for it's time, but flopped due to some bad styling cues.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:59 AM   #3
02fordsvt
Meh.

Fan#: 84654
What I Drive: 2002 SVT, 2001 SE (Rusty)

FF Reputation: 49 02fordsvt Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
^^ Very true.

And as for the Raptor, there are a lot of red necks in this world and every one dreams of a owning one.

The Caddy tends to be the dream of us "common men" who can't afford to buy or own one while those that can own one rather drive a Merc or BMW or other subtle luxury sedan. At least GM tries out these oddball markets.
Hatch Nation #13 : Rally Revolution #13 : ROTM Jan '13
It's Bryan, not Brian
RSVT-170 Build in Progress
Derusting Rusty Build in Progress
Old 08-18-2013, 08:17 AM   #4
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Yea the article goes on to say this is the only US built V8 wagon. At this point US car buyers that want a V8 powered wagon will have only the mercedes E-class.

It goes on to say the reason for the lack in sales is the gas guzzler tax of $1300 or $2600 at the time of purchase. The yax differs, based on manual or automatic transmission. The federal government's fuel economy ratings of only 12 mpg city and 18 mpg highway for the 2013 wagon make it the worst gas guzzler amoung station wagons sold here.

The manufacturer's suggested retail price, includes destination charge: $65,410 for the base manual, $66,710 for the base automatic.

Comparible to the $40,000 V6 version of the wagon with 270hp automatic, or the mid-level 318hp V6 which starts at $45,000.

The starting retail price for the 2014 Mercedes AMG wagon with 557hp twin turbo V8 is more than $92,000.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:14 AM   #5
jims shadetree
Focus Addict

Fan#: 116036
What I Drive: 2013 tuxedo black 5 spd hatch se

FF Reputation: 1 jims shadetree Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Gm has had some dandies in last 10 years n cut some that uld think been good sellers.example...04 gto hyped to the max then when it showed up damn thing was sad, hell a grand am gt was more hot rod even had ram air! Gto didnt even have a hood scoop .damn bonneville would whoop it ass.then there was the overpriced, overweight, way underpowered ssr...what a was of machinery! It sounded good...50's style truck v8 hunkered down big wheels n tire hotrod with a drop top.talk about fumble the ball couldn't even put a bag of car parts in bed .I think gm biggest dildo move was scrappin the s10...STUPID!!!! N tried to replace it with the pos they call canyon/colorado
Hatch nation #66
Gettin my kicks on route 66!
Old 08-18-2013, 09:33 AM   #6
jims shadetree
Focus Addict

Fan#: 116036
What I Drive: 2013 tuxedo black 5 spd hatch se

FF Reputation: 1 jims shadetree Good Standing Member
But I do have to say hit a loaded homer with g8.the base was even a goodin , guy workin in shop with me has 6ltr gt its a blast n drags his bike trailer with ease.don't forget the gxp n then gm was bringing ute version to US.so of course gm had to slit ponts throat n ended that.I think with s10 gone n canyon/colorado crap the pont/chev elky with v6 woulda made a perfect delivery truck...sad so sad..
Hatch nation #66
Gettin my kicks on route 66!
Old 08-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #7
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96835
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
The CTS-V wagon is one of the coolest cars built in the last decade.

There is a reason why the manufacturers (FORD included) won't sell their wagons in North America, we just don't buy them. Jack it up four inches, put some 65 series tires on it and pretend it's a truck, then it will sell. Probably why we can't get two door's either, stupid truck buying public was sold on adding as many doors as possible as paying extra for it..

F-150 is the #1 selling vehicle in America, with #2 being the GM pickup
Of course the Raptor has good sales numbers, it's the premium version of the #1 selling vehicle.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:18 PM   #8
mikebontoft
Toxx

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Tucker!

50 cars produced and it was over.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 08-18-2013, 04:34 PM   #9
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
The Yugo (screwyourself) had too many produced for such a true POS car that was unsafe and slow.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:37 PM   #10
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
Remember that Lincoln Blackwood PU that was a bit overly luxury with a bed that was too nice to actually use and quickly disappeared from showrooms just like Chrysler's Prowler and GM's SST pickup.

Bookmarks & Social Networks