home made pillar mount for a gauge - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-17-2013, 01:12 PM   #1
hardy1812
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 116968
What I Drive: 2002,panther blck,focus TDCi

FF Reputation: 1 hardy1812 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
home made pillar mount for a gauge

Hi peeps,,,,
Probably loads ov these on here but here's how i made my pillar gauge to hold my boost gauge it's on a site here in the UK

no one could view so i uploaded the pics below

Last edited by hardy1812; 08-22-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
Mr.Bergner
coffee, have some

Fan#: 32799
What I Drive: 2004 TW Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 53 Mr.Bergner Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Ah...wanting me to sign on. Any chance you could upload the pics here?
Hatch Nation #29_____________________________________________________________________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
Old 08-18-2013, 02:14 PM   #3
hardy1812
Focus Rookie

Will do matey,,,.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:50 PM   #4
hardy1812
Focus Rookie

pics uploaded now LOL

Hi peeps,
this is my first attempt at making a pillar mount as most places wanted around 27.00 for a focus MK1 one

1- I decided to use my old tomtom sat nav holder as i was round and the gauge looks like it will fit nicely into it 52mm one will

2- I then took it apart and took it to me car and drew around roughly were i wanted it to go

3-Once i was happy with the placement i drilled a hole and used the screw from the original bracket to attach it to the pillar,i then cut the top off a lucazade bottle so i was about 3" long, and then cut off the screw part so it left just the top, sorry no pic, will get one but u can sort of see in the pic, i then hot glued the lucazade bottle so it was about 70mm back from the rim, i did 70mm as my boost gauge is 80mm long so hoping it will keep it tight when inserted

4-i then stretch a length of tight over the pillar but found that it sank in the middle, so cunningly thought if i used a blank spacer disc that u get when u buy DVDs or CDs, see pic, i just cut off a section to make it a straight edge then super glued it on the ring and bottle

5- I then stretched the tight back over and tied some string around the bottom to get some kind of shape, then i just covered the lot in fiberglass resin and let it harden. I had some fiberglass sheeting leftover from fixing my bumper so then covered it over with it to add strength

6-then it was just a case of filler and sanding, more filler more sanding, even more filler and yes more pigging sanding

7- then i took it back to the car and test fitted to see what she looked like
looked good to me,,,so more sanding needed

8-once all the sanding was complete, it was just a case of being happy with the shape and throwing on some primer, I had some white plastic primer from when i sprayed my interior, so a couple of coats let it dry n then choose wot ever colour u want, i decide on panther black as i thought trying to match the grey plastic would av been a pain plus most after market mount are black, and yes u guessed it i just happened to have some leftover from my wheels that i sprayed

9-All finished with paint and lacquer and the help of my lad ;-) ,,just need to mount it when me gauge arrives and bobs your uncle, fannys your aunt, one custom pillar mount

Will post a pic when i get the gauge mounted
so u can all have a good chuckle at me handy work

added a yellow stripe over the black to keep me yellow and black theme going
Old 08-26-2013, 12:31 AM   #5
GreySkorpion
saved from the grave

Fan#: 94674
What I Drive: 2004 LG ZX5 2.3D

FF Reputation: 11 GreySkorpion Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Nice Work matey!!!
Old 08-29-2013, 07:36 PM   #6
DoctorJ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 113834
What I Drive: 2001 Twilight Blue sedan

FF Reputation: 1 DoctorJ Good Standing Member
Nice work! These could be used as Tweeter/midrange pods for a stereo install as well; with a little modification.

In case anyone down the line reads this thread, and is interested by the idea of Tweeter pods or similar guage pods on the cheap; try the link below. I made a pair recently to try some tweets out.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...eter-pods.html

Bookmarks & Social Networks