Zetec vs duratec - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-18-2013, 09:51 AM   #11
focusmaniaczx3
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!

Fan#: 55157
What I Drive: zx3 turbo, kia soul, 71 chevy c/10

Points 14,519, Level 78
Points: 14,519, Level: 78 Points: 14,519, Level: 78 Points: 14,519, Level: 78
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 35 focusmaniaczx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
ok ok ok lets clear up a few things here.

you dont want to go to the trouble of doing a zetec to duratec or zetec to svt swap. the svt swap would be easier in your case because the engines are basically the same but svt engines and parts for them are getting harder to find and are already quite more expensive than a standard zetec or duratec. a standard mtx75 5 speed trans will bolt up to a svt engine so long as you swap the flywheel from the standard zetec to the svt or visa versa with bolting a SVT 6 speed "getrag" up to a standard zetec. so other than computer nearly everything for a SVT swap is plug and play. however you have to change ALOT of crap around for a duratec swap and the engine isnt enough of an upgrade over the standard zetec to justify the swap. however the duratec engine from any 02-07 will "bolt in" with no major fabrication. the engine from any newer focus will require extensive work and thousands of dollars just for the swap before you even think about doing a build for turbo. if you want to build another motor outside the car and then swap it in when you are ready for turbo then just build another zetec and perform the engine swap over the course of a day or weekend instead of spending weeks or months to get it right.

stock zetec engine will hold around 230-250whp (10-12psi) bone stock on turbo provided it has good compression still. compression should read within 10psi of each other on all cylinders. anything less than say 110psi even if they are all the same would be worrisome to me though. you will NEED a good tune and bigger injectors otherwise you will pop the engine whether its built or not.

if 300whp is all you want then you could simply buy a cheap second hand turbo kit with a small turbo, a set of forged pistons and rods, a clutch, injectors, limited slip differential, and a good tune. these are all REQUIREMENTS to obtain that power goal. you may need a boost-a-pump as well to get there as the stock fuel system is very limited in how much fuel it can send.

if you are dead set on doing a SVT swap then it can sort of balance out cost wise. you could get lucky and find a SVT engine, computer and trans for $1500 ish which is basically what you need for the swap and stock the svt engine will hold around 300whp with good tune provided its in good shape. you would still need to invest in a clutch and a differential which are considerably more expensive than for a standard zetec. you then have to go to the trouble of making the swap happen and let me tell you i HATE doing computer swaps on the focus and you would NEED to run a SVT computer.

i dunno thats just my $.02 on the matter. my sleep deprived ramble is over so please feel free to reply with your well wishes and comments of "TLDR" or gtfo or whatever you kids say these days LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus
I love this big little city HOOTERS !
Every time you drink a beer somewhere an ugly woman becomes beautiful, so get to it!
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2013, 10:21 AM   #12
Mother Focus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 73292
What I Drive: 2001 Money Pit

Points 4,667, Level 43
Points: 4,667, Level: 43 Points: 4,667, Level: 43 Points: 4,667, Level: 43
Level Up 59% Completed
Level up: 59% Level up: 59% Level up: 59%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 13 Mother Focus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Yes you up it out better than I do LOL
On the compression test is not 10psi from each other is 10%
Tuned by Fernando@RacingPartsSolution.com
Old 08-18-2013, 10:26 AM   #13
ZXthrizzle05
TURBO ZX3

Fan#: 24434
What I Drive: 2007 mazda 3 I sport, TURBO ZX3

Points 50,141, Level 100
Points: 50,141, Level: 100 Points: 50,141, Level: 100 Points: 50,141, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 6 ZXthrizzle05 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
damnt chase stop using acronyms!
RISE AGAIN EGGYOLK302 WHP 274 WTQ ZETEC CREW #271
RIFF CREW
Old 08-18-2013, 02:24 PM   #14
Dark03fucus
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 117878
What I Drive: 2003, silver, zx3

FF Reputation: 1 Dark03fucus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
So building a stock zetec and bolting on the svt 6m to prolly my best chance to pull 300-350 hp and prolly cheapest. Thanks guys good info now to crunch numbers
Old 08-18-2013, 05:08 PM   #15
focusmaniaczx3
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!

Points 14,519, Level 78
Level Up 18% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
actually it would be cheaper to swap in a SVT engine and use the standard 5 speed but like i said you would have to FIND a good SVT engine.

to build a zetec you need $800 for pistons and rods, about $300 for machine shop work, about another $100 for rod and main bearings, and about $300 for ARP fasteners. so you already are at about $1300 for the build and you would probably have to sink in more than that. you could potentially find what you need for a svt engine swap for substantially less than that. BUT you would be throwing boost to an engine that likely already has alot of miles on it versus a freshly rebuilt engine that is no shit capable of holding more than double the power of that stock svt engine.
check out my thread a few clicks down. "finally starting my journey to 450hp" that will give you a good idea of what all you need except you wont need a return fuel system or monstrous clutch. once you have a good idea of what all you need start shopping around for parts and see how expensive it would be to make your build happen with whatever option you go with whether it be zetec on 5 speed, zetec on 6 speed, svt on 5 speed or svt on 6 speed.
Quote:
Every time you drink a beer somewhere an ugly woman becomes beautiful, so get to it!
Old 08-18-2013, 05:11 PM   #16
Mother Focus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 73292
What I Drive: 2001 Money Pit

Points 4,667, Level 43
Points: 4,667, Level: 43 Points: 4,667, Level: 43 Points: 4,667, Level: 43
Level Up 59% Completed
Level up: 59% Level up: 59% Level up: 59%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 13 Mother Focus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Ratio in the mtx is very good, why getrag? cheapest is getting a block SVT or zetec build it and swap it, at that time install LSD in your tranny and a stage 3-4 clutch. What is your budget for the build?
Tuned by Fernando@RacingPartsSolution.com
Old 08-18-2013, 07:52 PM   #17
Dark03fucus
Focus Rookie

I'm looking at around 3-4k. I prefer the 6m just for the highway cruising.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:30 PM   #18
ZXthrizzle05
TURBO ZX3

Fan#: 24434
What I Drive: 2007 mazda 3 I sport, TURBO ZX3

Points 50,141, Level 100
Points: 50,141, Level: 100 Points: 50,141, Level: 100 Points: 50,141, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 6 ZXthrizzle05 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
already right here there has been groundwork laid out for you. when you start compiling products please make a new thread entitled your name and turbo build or how ever you want to entitle it. we all get excited when people go past the asking questions stage and actually spending money lol
RISE AGAIN EGGYOLK302 WHP 274 WTQ ZETEC CREW #271
RIFF CREW
Old 08-19-2013, 01:06 PM   #19
Dark03fucus
Focus Rookie

Pardon me. But your saying building a zetec is better than building a svt motor? Or did I read that wrong
Old 08-19-2013, 10:22 PM   #20
focusmaniaczx3
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!

Points 14,519, Level 78
Level Up 18% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
no you read right. a built svt engine and a built zetec engine are both capable of making the exact same power with turbo except it can be done cheaper and with parts more readily available for the standard zetec. however a STOCK svt engine can hold more power than a STOCK zetec with turbo so if your goal is only around 300whp you may actually be able to do it a bit cheaper by doing a motor swap. the only reason i suggested against the swap was because i KNOW that eventually you will want more power. they always do lol

built motor zetec and svt will hold around 700whp/tq TOPS and that is getting close to the danger zone of snapping a crank shaft. a svt engine will be able to make the power on slightly lower boost because it has higher compression but you can bump up compression on a zetec by simply milling the head a little.
Quote:

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.