Considering a Used Focus - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-14-2013, 03:35 PM   #1
jase421
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 117810
What I Drive: Looking to purchase

FF Reputation: 1 jase421 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Considering a Used Focus

Folks I am new here. I currently have an 02 VW Jetta with a 1.8T. I love to drive it as it has good HP and torque for a small car but the electronic and other nickle and dime things have made it un reliable. With my wife and son driving looking for something that is reliable, gets decent mileage and is fun to drive (at least peppy)

I am looking at Scion TCs and Focus. However I know litte about the Focus. I would be looking at cars that are in the 06 to 08 range with higher mileage.

I would like to know a few items as well as general opinions:
1) My quick web search tells me the motor uses a timing chain not a belt. Please confirm.
2) did Ford make an eco boost (turbo) in this date range? It looks like the standard Duratek engine is a bit light on HP but I may be missing something

3) What are the known issues I should look for

4)How long can I expect it to last. I bought a VW since the motors are known to last forever (just not all the stuff around the motor!)

5) General opinions anyone may have. Any comparisons to VW or Scion and thoughts.

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2013, 03:51 PM   #2
joecicalese
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105573
What I Drive: 2001 Black ZTS

FF Reputation: 4 joecicalese Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jase421 View Post
Folks I am new here. I currently have an 02 VW Jetta with a 1.8T. I love to drive it as it has good HP and torque for a small car but the electronic and other nickle and dime things have made it un reliable. With my wife and son driving looking for something that is reliable, gets decent mileage and is fun to drive (at least peppy)

I am looking at Scion TCs and Focus. However I know litte about the Focus. I would be looking at cars that are in the 06 to 08 range with higher mileage.

I would like to know a few items as well as general opinions:
1) My quick web search tells me the motor uses a timing chain not a belt. Please confirm.
2) did Ford make an eco boost (turbo) in this date range? It looks like the standard Duratek engine is a bit light on HP but I may be missing something

3) What are the known issues I should look for

4)How long can I expect it to last. I bought a VW since the motors are known to last forever (just not all the stuff around the motor!)

5) General opinions anyone may have. Any comparisons to VW or Scion and thoughts.

Thanks for your help
If you get an 05 or newer (and some 03-04's) it would have the Duratec, which has a timing chain, not a belt. There are plenty of mods in the aftermarket to make the Duratec make more power. 05-07's are generally reasonably priced and have a good record of reliability.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:56 PM   #3
crazy_urn
Capt. Urn

Fan#: 1986
What I Drive: 77 F-250, 10 HHR, 08 Outlook

FF Reputation: 5 crazy_urn Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
most cars in that date range came with the 2.0 duratec, IIRC. Search the general tech chat for duratec, and i believe you will find they are pretty reliable.

As far as power goes, HP and straight line speed have never really been a strong suit of a stock focus. They tend to shine more in handling. For a lot of people, that makes them more fun to drive then your typical vw or scion, but some people don't care about that. It's all what you are looking for.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:57 PM   #4
reamkeeper
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 15415
What I Drive: 2013 Fiat 500 Sport Cattiva

FF Reputation: 4 reamkeeper Good Standing Member
1) Not sure about those years

2) No, there is no eco boost in 06-08 range, only the NEW ST from 2013 on, earlier ST models had a little peppier engine and the SVT (2004 last model year) got a higher HP engine also

3) Not entirely sure for those years

4) I've seen many examples that just keep going, don't have a number though

5) If you're coming from a VW 1.8T AWP engine you're not going to enjoy the focus, you're going to be loosing a lot of HP and TQ, adding road noise, and IMHO a crappier interior.

I owned a 2002 Jetta 1.8T auto and 2002 Beetle Turbo S 6spd and the focus to me is just not in the same class. If anything I would look at the 06-08 Jetta or Golf with the 2.5l engine, an 05-07 jetta with the 2.5l will have 150hp and the 08-up will have a 170hp engine. The car will be a lot nicer then the ford for the same model years IMHO.

KKCO
Old 08-14-2013, 04:57 PM   #5
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
It's easy to look at the two cars and compare them, but they couldn't be farther apart... The Jetta was marketed as a premium entry-level car for the discerning young family and the Focus was marketed as being a cheap and cheerful car for thrifty bachelors and the like.

If you buy a Focus in the model range you mentioned above, it's a serious downgrade from the Jetta as far as material quality goes.

If I were you, I would look elsewhere. Don't totally discount the Focus - Go drive one and see what you think - But I would either increase my budget for a better car or give the Jetta an overhaul because a Focus of that year isn't going to be a major improvement.

I will say my '11 Focus is well-equipped, fun to drive, reliable, safe, looks good, and is cheap to own.
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:57 AM   #6
Leora83
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 69136
What I Drive: 2003 ZX5 chrome yellow

FF Reputation: 1 Leora83 Good Standing Member
My personal experience with the Focus has been that they are reliable for many years. Mine have both been first-gens, mind you. I stuffed them both full of freight and ran them many miles every day, with very few issues. I realize my usage of them as workhorses is different than someone looking for a commuter car, but I think it's useful to know that they perform well under very demanding conditions.

--2001 ZX3, retired after 11 years with just under 400 000kms (needed a few small things fixed, but I was tired of manual windows and no AC--now the parts car).
--2003 ZX5, currently showing 356 000kms and running fine.

Good luck on your search.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #7
goingFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 75386
What I Drive: 2005 CD silver ZX3 SES

FF Reputation: 1 goingFocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jase421 View Post
Folks I am new here. I currently have an 02 VW Jetta with a 1.8T. I love to drive it as it has good HP and torque for a small car but the electronic and other nickle and dime things have made it un- reliable. With my wife and son driving looking for something that is reliable, gets decent mileage and is fun to drive (at least peppy)
Thanks for your help
The other posters have covered the HP/TRQ aspects of the Focus. For my 2 my '05 ZX3, w/ ATX has performed flawlessly since I purchased it used over six years ago. My greatest joy in the car has been its electrics. No problems, probably because the car is stock. And, as far as nickle and dime stuff, well it is stock for a reason. Virtually no replacement of parts. I had considered going back to VW in my next car but I still read in other forums about the same electric issues that I had on my Golf in the 80's., You'd think that the Germans would have sorted those things out by now. GL

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->