I may know a fix for some of the DCT issues. Hear me out..... - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-12-2013, 11:45 AM   #11
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

Points 5,525, Level 47
Points: 5,525, Level: 47 Points: 5,525, Level: 47 Points: 5,525, Level: 47
Level Up 88% Completed
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I don't know about the grinding (never had it) but when I had the shuddering problem (still sometimes have it very mild) it was always after about 20 minutes of suburban driving. The shuddering has got to be heat related - e.g. hot spots on the clutch surfaces.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2013, 12:12 PM   #12
rsnow
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 105358
What I Drive: 2002 pitch black svt

FF Reputation: 1 rsnow Good Standing Member
Replaced a many of these clutchs. Just updated one today and had a different program. The adaptive learning portion of the reprogram was eliminated. I always believed the issues with the clutch has been heat... Hence the leaking input seals. Some kind of air vent for these in my opinion would help out greatly.. Not in stop in go traffic though. These things fit together so tight that the ones that are leaking oil tend to really leak out when seperating it from the engine. I deal with these customers every day and it sucks on my end as well believe me......remember guys that if ford wont pay the tech to do the job than who will? I waste so much time on these and get paid nothing!!!!!! I understand the anger and frustration but dont take it out on the service writer or the tech... Go right for the manager ( might help )
Old 08-12-2013, 02:18 PM   #13
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

Points 12,506, Level 73
Points: 12,506, Level: 73 Points: 12,506, Level: 73 Points: 12,506, Level: 73
Level Up 14% Completed
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Forum Activity 24%
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%
FF Reputation: 15 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by reamkeeper View Post
I would have to agree, with the Mazda 6's the fluid sounds like its getting too hot, but with the DCT, even if it is getting above its optimal temp there isn't realy a way to cool the fluid even if that was the issue, it would be like trying to put a tranny cooler on a manual transmission car.
My Contour SVT with the SAME MTX-75 tranny had a transmission cooler with lines to a small radiator behind the main one.
So the MTX 75 may have the ability to have a cooler added.
I do not know if ALL of the MTX-75 have the ability to add on a cooler or not.
Just wanted to mention that SOME MTX-75 did have an external cooler OEM from Ford.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:20 PM   #14
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

Points 1,277, Level 19
Points: 1,277, Level: 19 Points: 1,277, Level: 19 Points: 1,277, Level: 19
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
My Contour SVT with the SAME MTX-75 tranny had a transmission cooler with lines to a small radiator behind the main one.
Just wanted to mention that SOME MTX-75 did have an external cooler OEM from Ford.
So, there was some sort of pump added to the MTX-75 on the Contour SVT, to pump gear oil through an air/oil heat exchanger (radiator)? hmmm....

There was an oil/water exchanger that was used on the Contour SVT for engine oil cooling. I think you might be confusing that with a transmission cooler.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:07 PM   #15
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

Points 30,568, Level 100
Points: 30,568, Level: 100 Points: 30,568, Level: 100 Points: 30,568, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
From what I've read on the mazda forums the mtx trans they run on the V6 also has cooler. It also can over heat and can use the after market cooler. It wasn't till '06 when they came out with the 6 speed transmission did the problems go away.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:33 PM   #16
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

Points 2,790, Level 32
Points: 2,790, Level: 32 Points: 2,790, Level: 32 Points: 2,790, Level: 32
Level Up 27% Completed
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsnow View Post
Replaced a many of these clutchs. Just updated one today and had a different program. The adaptive learning portion of the reprogram was eliminated. I always believed the issues with the clutch has been heat... Hence the leaking input seals. Some kind of air vent for these in my opinion would help out greatly.. Not in stop in go traffic though. These things fit together so tight that the ones that are leaking oil tend to really leak out when seperating it from the engine. I deal with these customers every day and it sucks on my end as well believe me......remember guys that if ford wont pay the tech to do the job than who will? I waste so much time on these and get paid nothing!!!!!! I understand the anger and frustration but dont take it out on the service writer or the tech... Go right for the manager ( might help )
So this is another software update? And adaptive learning is eliminated? Many here suspected this was a problem, but I thought a bit of adaptive learning was important to deal with clutch wear - do you know if that's gone, too?

Is there a TSB or other identifier for the new software that we could use during our frequent visits to the service department? Thanks!
Old 08-12-2013, 04:41 PM   #17
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

Points 1,277, Level 19
Points: 1,277, Level: 19 Points: 1,277, Level: 19 Points: 1,277, Level: 19
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGlassMaker View Post
From what I've read on the mazda forums the mtx trans they run on the V6 also has cooler. It also can over heat and can use the after market cooler. It wasn't till '06 when they came out with the 6 speed transmission did the problems go away.
If that's true, then there has to be a special pump on the mtx/V6 Mazdas to pump the trans oil through the cooler. How would you propose to pump the gear oil from the DCT through the cooler kit in your opening post? The cooler you posted is designed for ATF, which has much less viscosity than the 75W lubricant in the DCT.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:59 PM   #18
CunFFS13
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 117411
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Gray Ford Focus S MT

Points 2,301, Level 29
Points: 2,301, Level: 29 Points: 2,301, Level: 29 Points: 2,301, Level: 29
Level Up 1% Completed
Level up: 1% Level up: 1% Level up: 1%
Forum Activity 35%
Activity: 35% Activity: 35% Activity: 35%
FF Reputation: 6 CunFFS13 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhFFS View Post
Even though it doesn't apply, I'm glad to see people throwing out ideas. I still need to try dan50's intake idea.
X2
Wandering what the Ford engineers are doing about it! Besides of cashing their weekly checks!
Old 08-13-2013, 03:41 AM   #19
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Points 3,763, Level 38
Points: 3,763, Level: 38 Points: 3,763, Level: 38 Points: 3,763, Level: 38
Level Up 76% Completed
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 11 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGlassMaker View Post
Let me leave a little input here.

Not sure on the MK3 focus, but my mazda6 has the transmission cooler built into the radiator. The cooler is too small and has low coolant flow for what the trans needs. It's common on all atx mazda 6s.

It will cause hard shifting, jerking during parking, and wineing when extremely hot. In 90 degree weather no matter what, you have to deal with it all day long or short drives.

Over time if nothing is done, it will cause early transmission failure. Which will force trans rebuilding or replacement.
There are no known issues with the DCT "gearbox".

Virtually all DCT issues involve the (dry) clutches, which are outside of the "gearbox" (just as a conventional manual transmission).
For that reason, an oil cooler will not help.

Whether or not one wants to consider the (external) clutch assembly as part of the transmission is a matter of semantics.

If my car has a manual transmission with a fried clutch, I wouldn't say that the transmission is screwed up.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:42 AM   #20
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95399
What I Drive: Mazda-3 , formerly a focus SE

Points 310, Level 6
Points: 310, Level: 6 Points: 310, Level: 6 Points: 310, Level: 6
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 2 mr_cassandra Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkirk View Post
I've always thought my grinding is worse when its hot outside and after the car has been sitting in traffic in the heat. when it's cold, it seems to behave a lot better.
Gkirk, all my symptoms disappeared last winter here in new England , then re-appeared when hot weather returned. I suspect heat IS involved but also other factors like the extra load the AC puts on the engine. Same thing for extra passengers (weight). Ford tells us the computer learns for the first three days after a reset, well most of us it would probably be learning in the month we bought it (February in new England) and usually with no passengers.

Bookmarks & Social Networks