Wax question...why is some so expensive? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Auto Washing, Detailing & Paint Protection

Auto Washing, Detailing & Paint Protection Discuss wax, polish, chamois, microfiber towels, simple cloth towel, scratch repair and paint protection. Use this Forum to discuss your cleaning tricks and techniques.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-05-2013, 03:12 PM   #1
loki993
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82968
What I Drive: 13 Red SE 5 speed

FF Reputation: 1 loki993 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Wax question...why is some so expensive?

I'm just curious.I see some car waxes that I consider very expensive and then some that I think are just insane. I see some in the 40 -60 dollar range and some even more...I just saw one that was over 800 dollars....

They all claim to have high carnauba content,. well 2 things. First I get get a pound of carnauba wax for like 10 bucks and second its so hard that you need a high speed wheel to get it to melt, which would destroy your paint.

So what is it they they are actually putting in these waxes to make them so expensive? My answer would be R&D but even that can only cost so much.

I think the real answer is because they can.

What all that what is a good wax that isn't outrageously priced.....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #2
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

Points 3,893, Level 39
Points: 3,893, Level: 39 Points: 3,893, Level: 39 Points: 3,893, Level: 39
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
Most of it is R&D with another chunk based off of supply and import taxes.

Those $800 waxes are produced in extremely limited quantities based on the processes and rare materials used to create it. They're typically foreign made and need to be imported for sale.

Turtle wax is $4 because it's just spit & candles. Easy to produce and available everywhere.
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:08 PM   #3
loki993
Focus Enthusiast

What rare materials though, no one ever explains it? They make it sound like its the carnauba wax that makes them so expensive but thats actually pretty cheap. I have no problem spending money to get a better quality product, buy as a company they need to be able to justify that extra expense to me. Saying its made in limited quantities buy some guy 4 times a year, in a climate controlled shack using a 500 year old secret recipe passed down to them by Henry Ford himself doesn't cut it. <-----totally made up, I need something tangible to justify the expense and I can't find anything that does that.

Last edited by loki993; 08-05-2013 at 08:31 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #4
Alb16962
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 114535
What I Drive: 2007 Grenadine Red CC-3

FF Reputation: 1 Alb16962 Good Standing Member
There is no justification for such expensive waxes , they charge such high prices because there is always an idiot that will pay it , I use a variety of different ones based on local availability and have found that my car looks just as shiny no matter which I use
Old 08-05-2013, 04:46 PM   #5
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

Points 3,893, Level 39
Points: 3,893, Level: 39 Points: 3,893, Level: 39 Points: 3,893, Level: 39
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
If the guys who made $800 wax listed their ingredients, they'd go out of business pretty quick.

For reference, here are some typical ingredients used in automotive waxes:
-Carnauba wax is a hard wax obtained from the leaves of a Brazilian palm tree which produces a glassy shine. Carnauba based waxes must be reapplied frequently in order to maintain shine.
-Beeswax is a durable wax found in honeycombs and used in car wax formulas to provide a protective barrier.
-Natural oils, such as linseed oil, are emollients use to provide added shine, luster, and protection, to the painted surface.
-Synthetic wax can be created from certain plastics or silicones and is used primarily in auto paint sealants. These waxes are considerably more durable than carnauba wax but produce far less shine.
-Petroleum distillates are solvents derived from crude oil that make the wax easier to spread and to clean the paint.
-Resins and polymers are plastic like substances that adhere to the paint surface offering longer lasting protection than wax. They are most frequently found in auto paint sealants.
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:38 PM   #6
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '14 Tangerine Scream ST3

Points 13,860, Level 76
Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76 Points: 13,860, Level: 76
Level Up 53% Completed
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%
Forum Activity 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%
FF Reputation: 15 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
Like 1.2 million dollar cars, and $250,000 watches.. A market exists.
I personally love Zymol. The smell is great.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:37 PM   #7
loki993
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac.mogul View Post
If the guys who made $800 wax listed their ingredients, they'd go out of business pretty quick.

For reference, here are some typical ingredients used in automotive waxes:
-Carnauba wax is a hard wax obtained from the leaves of a Brazilian palm tree which produces a glassy shine. Carnauba based waxes must be reapplied frequently in order to maintain shine.
-Beeswax is a durable wax found in honeycombs and used in car wax formulas to provide a protective barrier.
-Natural oils, such as linseed oil, are emollients use to provide added shine, luster, and protection, to the painted surface.
-Synthetic wax can be created from certain plastics or silicones and is used primarily in auto paint sealants. These waxes are considerably more durable than carnauba wax but produce far less shine.
-Petroleum distillates are solvents derived from crude oil that make the wax easier to spread and to clean the paint.
-Resins and polymers are plastic like substances that adhere to the paint surface offering longer lasting protection than wax. They are most frequently found in auto paint sealants.
I understand they can't give ingredients but I need something more than its got the highest content of this and that...especially when this and that isnt that expensive to begin with.

I see nothing there that would make 8 ounces of wax cost 100+ dollars...50....maybe considering a lot of research and development but I would think the synthetic waxes would come in around that price point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
Like 1.2 million dollar cars, and $250,000 watches.. A market exists.
I personally love Zymol. The smell is great.
Kind of what I figured..

I've seen Zymol and thought about trying it, but I've read that the application is a bit of work....
Old 08-06-2013, 01:17 AM   #8
burnie
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 57310
What I Drive: 2002 silver ZX5

Points 419, Level 8
Points: 419, Level: 8 Points: 419, Level: 8 Points: 419, Level: 8
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 burnie Good Standing Member
IMO , Zymol is no harder to apply and remove than most waxes . I like Liquid Glass and If I can find it anywhere , the old Blue Coral . Blue Coral is one where you can actually build up wax.....coat upon coat . And it lasts , but the last few times I bought it it was from eBay or Amazon....don`t believe it`s produced anymore .
Old 08-06-2013, 08:33 AM   #9
loki993
Focus Enthusiast

I've been looking at Adams stuff, looks good but its a tad on the expensive side and also Chemical Guys stuff

any other recommendations?
Old 08-06-2013, 08:50 AM   #10
Paul R
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 116744
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 Paul R Good Standing Member
I've had great success with Zaino products. Zaino is a compounded polymer sealant that you mix up right before you use it (mix a few drops of activator with the polish) and you have ~ 6 hours to use it before it hardens. The greatest thing about Zaino is that it is cumulative...every coat you put on adds to the protection and shine. It has very good UV protectants and really keeps the paint in good condition. It also lasts about 6 months before it starts to degrade. I have been using it exclusively for the last 13 years and my car's paint looks showroom new after years in the hot Florida sun. You can only buy it online or from a Zaino rep (not in stores). It is pricier than the usual store bought, but not outrageous.

No, I am not a Zaino rep or spokesperson...just really like the stuff.

-Paul

2013 Focus ST
Tuxedo Black ST3

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.