Sluggish performance - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-05-2013, 07:54 PM   #11
comcast.net
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 117212
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue 5Spd SE HB

FF Reputation: 1 comcast.net Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
You might want to disconnect the battery and "reboot" your car...Back in the day when I had a 1995 Mercury Mystique with the Duratec 2.5 V6/5spd combo, if I made any changes to the car like intake/exhaust, I would in essence wipe the ECU to create a new map...I wonder if that's relevant today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2013, 08:51 PM   #12
Timkainu
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 117474
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Metallic SE

FF Reputation: 1 Timkainu Good Standing Member
I did disconnect the negative battery and "reset" the ECU, twice I think? First time when I installed the CAI, second time a week later for the heck of it.

I brought the car into the shop a month ago because the check engine light came on, and the car bogged down. Apparently it was something with the transmission that threw the car into limp mode. The shop reset the codes, and made the car go through a "relearning process" but he said there's still a chance the light may come back on.

But, I guess there's a TSB for it, the shop said. The DTC code was P2837. So, in the instance the problem happens again, they said to bring my car to the dealer and give this TSB report to them so they can reprogram my car.

Anyways, I hope this tuner helps me out. The car does seem to run rich or something. Definitely not how my girlfriends car runs.

Thanks again for all the help, guys!
Old 08-10-2013, 03:44 AM   #13
MG_MK3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114522
What I Drive: 2013 Blue Candy Focus Hatchback SE

FF Reputation: 0 MG_MK3 Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timkainu View Post
I did disconnect the negative battery and "reset" the ECU, twice I think? First time when I installed the CAI, second time a week later for the heck of it.

I brought the car into the shop a month ago because the check engine light came on, and the car bogged down. Apparently it was something with the transmission that threw the car into limp mode. The shop reset the codes, and made the car go through a "relearning process" but he said there's still a chance the light may come back on.

But, I guess there's a TSB for it, the shop said. The DTC code was P2837. So, in the instance the problem happens again, they said to bring my car to the dealer and give this TSB report to them so they can reprogram my car.

Anyways, I hope this tuner helps me out. The car does seem to run rich or something. Definitely not how my girlfriends car runs.

Thanks again for all the help, guys!

Very odd....
Instagram @miKeyGilmore #MK3SLöCUS
Old 08-10-2013, 06:11 AM   #14
roswelltop
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83279
What I Drive: 2013 SGM SE HATCH, 5 Spd Man

FF Reputation: 1 roswelltop Good Standing Member
My 2 cents on this, call Aron at Injected Engineering and talk through the issues that you're having with your car. I have the IE tune and am totally happy with the result, BUT my car was running perfectly (I.e. OEM style with the K&N CAI) before the tune was installed.

Here's the thing, and maybe my thinking is wrong, if there is something wrong with your car now AND the tune doesn't correct it, you are going to be even unhappier.

Hope you get your car running right because this engine just performs so beautifully.
Good luck.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:16 AM   #15
Juicedz
Focus Addict

Fan#: 108814
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Hatchback SE, 5sp

FF Reputation: 3 Juicedz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Ordering the tune was a great choice. However, take the car in to have the current tsb done to it (software update & strut bearings). Are both of your cars automatics?
Hatch Nation#24 168whp 153wtq
Old 08-10-2013, 04:21 PM   #16
Timkainu
Focus Rookie

Yeah, I wish I could bring it in and have the TSB applied to it. However, the Ford dealer I called up said I would have to wait until the light came on again to apply it. Is there a way I can have them do it without waiting for the light?

And thanks for the suggestions. I will call Aron and see what he has to say. I just tuned my car with the 93 octane tune and it seems a little better. Still doesn't seem as quick as my girlfriends. We both have automatics.

I always used 87 octane. Just recently went through my first full tank of 93. Would unplugging the negative wire from the battery again do any good, or would it be useless? Should it be done after a tune?

Thanks again for all the help, everyone.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:34 PM   #17
Irondemon
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 117201
What I Drive: 2013 tuxedo black se

FF Reputation: 1 Irondemon Good Standing Member
Just a thought, do both cars have the same size wheels/tires and are bothe optioned the same? Just trying to help narrow it down.
(Edit) just reread one has the sport package and one doesn't.
2013 tuxedo black se hatch. Tinted, smoked,custom xcal tune, steeda cai,magnaflow catback,header, 18"black ford racing wheels, eibach pro kit springs,steeda front and rear sway bar. Next up motor mounts

Last edited by Irondemon; 08-10-2013 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Smrt like dumptruck
Old 08-10-2013, 07:45 PM   #18
Timkainu
Focus Rookie

Yes, she has the sport package. We both have the same size wheels and tires. Hers is flex fuel compatible.

Wish I knew what it was. I'm still wondering why the spark plugs look like they do. Perhaps it's normal.

I observed where my car is slower. It's around 1300-1500 RPM and around 25-35 MPH. If I stomp on the throttle, it's sluggish to get to 45-50. That's where it seems like I get sluggish performance.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:11 AM   #19
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timkainu View Post
Wish I knew what it was. I'm still wondering why the spark plugs look like they
That spark plug looks perfectly normal to me. You're always going to have a light carbon film as a by-product of combustion. If it was thick and crusty, there would be reason for concern.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:51 PM   #20
VonKaiser
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 26749
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus SE sedan

FF Reputation: 1 VonKaiser Good Standing Member
Anyone got a YouTube video of the off the line acceleration with the Injected tune for us DCT automated manual owners?

Bookmarks & Social Networks