Sluggish performance - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-2013)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-2013) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-03-2013, 06:18 PM   #1
Timkainu
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 117474
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Metallic SE

FF Reputation: 1 Timkainu Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Sluggish performance

Hey all,

I have a 2012 SE (without sport package) with 43k miles on it. I bought it used with 34k miles on it. I put a K&N CAI on it about a thousand miles ago.

The issue I'm having is what seems to be sluggish performance. My girlfriend has a 2012 SE with the sport package with 25k miles on it and hers is quicker than mine throughout the RPM range.

I was wondering how that's possible, even after I installed the K&N cold air intake. I am running 93 octane and she runs 87. I also got a full synthetic oil change not too long ago.

I took out my spark plugs and they look like they have black soot that's building up on them. Attached is a photo. Is that normal wear?

Any ideas or things to check for? Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	232.9 KB
ID:	18884  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2013, 06:27 PM   #2
Slo86GT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88885
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Gray Focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 Slo86GT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Did the sluggish performance come with the CAI installation? The sooty buildup on the plugs could be your ECU dumping fuel to try to fight spark knock from the lack of a tune.
- Jody -
Old 08-03-2013, 06:55 PM   #3
Timkainu
Focus Rookie

I would say the performance is about the same since the CAI was installed, but maybe a tiny tiny bit worse. It sounds cool though :)

I wouldn't have noticed how my car was if I hadn't have driven in her car.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:24 PM   #4
ShoOff
Focus Addict

Fan#: 109590
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 14 ShoOff Great Standing Member
tune that sucka and smile as you pass your gf
Old 08-03-2013, 11:15 PM   #5
Timkainu
Focus Rookie

Would getting Injected Engineering's tuner help? I've been on the edge of ordering one based on all the good things I've heard, but I wasn't sure if there's anything else I could do to help performance before spending $400 on the tuner.

But if ordering their tuner is the way to go, then I'ill do it by all means :)
Old 08-03-2013, 11:22 PM   #6
jdubhack
I WILL correct you.

Fan#: 103056
What I Drive: 2014 SGM Fusion Ti

FF Reputation: 36 jdubhack Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
I have Injected's tuner and have not regretted it yet. This is by no means me telling you to get one, but merely saying that I have no regrets.

<>< Gal. 6:14
April 2013 HOTM
2013 Ford Fun Weekend: Show Class Winner
Old 08-04-2013, 06:08 AM   #7
Timkainu
Focus Rookie

Looks like ill be getting Injected Engeneering's tuner.

I'm just hoping it solves the issues I'm having now.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:48 AM   #8
Seminoles
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98405
What I Drive: Focus SE 2012 Gray, 2013 Candy Blue

FF Reputation: 1 Seminoles Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timkainu View Post
Hey all,

I have a 2012 SE (without sport package) with 43k miles on it. I bought it used with 34k miles on it. I put a K&N CAI on it about a thousand miles ago.

The issue I'm having is what seems to be sluggish performance. My girlfriend has a 2012 SE with the sport package with 25k miles on it and hers is quicker than mine throughout the RPM range.

I was wondering how that's possible, even after I installed the K&N cold air intake. I am running 93 octane and she runs 87. I also got a full synthetic oil change not too long ago.

I took out my spark plugs and they look like they have black soot that's building up on them. Attached is a photo. Is that normal wear?

Any ideas or things to check for? Thanks!
Check out THIS thread after reading see if MAF is cracked also read on another that someone cut the outside tabs off the MAF so the clamping area could slide down further on the MAF the one dead center up top might be two more around it they just help hold on the slip on filter this photo looks like tabs aren't there. If it is cracked there only 5.00 at dealer. You could use a strip of emery cloth to roughen up the MAF where the filter mounts and just tighten with a screw driver not socket. Also did you do the snorkel delete that would help get more cold air to the filter... good luck

Old 08-04-2013, 07:56 AM   #9
Timkainu
Focus Rookie

I checked the MAF housing and it's not cracked. I heard of that happening before due to over-tightening. It was one of the first things I checked. And yep, I did the snorkel delete as well. Seemed to help a tad, but still having sluggish performance compared to the other focus.

I just ordered Injected's tuning device. Hopefully it clears up the issues I'm having. If not, I'll be bummed :/

I still think there's something that can be done other than using the tuner... maybe I'm wrong. I'm no car guy lol

I appreciate all the help thus far though!
Old 08-04-2013, 08:13 AM   #10
Seminoles
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98405
What I Drive: Focus SE 2012 Gray, 2013 Candy Blue

FF Reputation: 1 Seminoles Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timkainu View Post
I checked the MAF housing and it's not cracked. I heard of that happening before due to over-tightening. It was one of the first things I checked. And yep, I did the snorkel delete as well. Seemed to help a tad, but still having sluggish performance compared to the other focus.

I just ordered Injected's tuning device. Hopefully it clears up the issues I'm having. If not, I'll be bummed :/

I still think there's something that can be done other than using the tuner... maybe I'm wrong. I'm no car guy lol

I appreciate all the help thus far though!
Cool I have heard good things abut them and it might show up a code to help figure it out they scan more aggressive then the cheap ones. Did you try the free trick on the test mode for the information screen to see if there are any DTC's? You could try the torque App to see what is going on too. Not sure how you rest these to relearn but try discounting the negative battery cable for a few minutes let it idle for a few then drive see if that helps.

Bookmarks & Social Networks