5 Minute throttle response/DCT solution? - Page 9 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-14-2013, 10:44 PM   #81
ScooterCT70
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98691
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Titanium Focus

FF Reputation: 1 ScooterCT70 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by novus View Post
Gave mine a look. Doesn't seem to be any huge gaps. A small gap, yes. But nothing too major. But then again, I haven't had the sorts of issues most report. Must have gotten a Wednesday car, not a Monday or Friday like others.
My intake had a teeny tiny gap about 1mm and grew to 3mm. I seriously thought there was no way that small gap affected anything. So I spent 3 minutes and taped it. My car has Noticeably more low end and less lag when putting around town. It seems ridiculous but it worked for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2013, 10:46 PM   #82
MetalMuffins
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107135
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black Focus SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 MetalMuffins Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterCT70 View Post
My intake had a teeny tiny gap about 1mm and grew to 3mm. I seriously thought there was no way that small gap affected anything. So I spent 3 minutes and taped it. My car has Noticeably more low end and less lag when putting around town. It seems ridiculous but it worked for me.
Mine is the same, and you have just convinced me to try this. I will take a picture with the strap lifted so everyone can see if they are still a bit confused
Old 08-14-2013, 10:49 PM   #83
scott7278
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100021
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 5 scott7278 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterCT70 View Post
I don't think it seems that ridiculous at all - what's ridiculous is that is escaped the attention of Ford in the first place.

Sent from my HTC One using FF Mobile 4.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:39 AM   #84
Et cetera
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 117795
What I Drive: 2013 Focus 2L TDCi 163PS (MPS6 DCT)

FF Reputation: 1 Et cetera Good Standing Member
Interesting. Subscribed.

Mine is a turbo diesel engine (not available in the North American market). Got to take a look to see if I have similar gap mentioned here. Wish someone can post a close up picture, though...(It seems that the only time I pop open the hood, it is to check engine oil or add fluids).
Old 08-15-2013, 05:09 AM   #85
slybarman
Focus Addict

Fan#: 105425
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

FF Reputation: 6 slybarman Good Standing Member
I wonder if the snorkel delete is even necessary once this is done. The purpose of the snorkel delete was to improve the low end power, correct? Maybe it treated the symptom but not the problem?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using FF Mobile.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:36 AM   #86
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95399
What I Drive: Mazda-3 , formerly a focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 mr_cassandra Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
In the 19,000 miles I've had my 2012 DCT-equipped Focus I've complained about lousy throttle response (bogging, surging,etc.) and DCT behavior (lunging at launch, mostly). I've stumbled upon a solution that eliminates 80% of my issues. Best of all, it only puts the car into the condition in which it was supposed to leave the factory and it's easy.

So those of you with these problems, try this. I'm curious if it will work for you:

1) Facing the car with the hood open, look on the right side and note the two intake tubes coming from the air filter compartment and going through the front bulkhead. (these tubes go through the bulkhead and attach to the intake horn located where cooler air is available for induction)

2) At the point where these two tubes meet the bulkhead, they are secured with a rubber strap that latches on the left side. Undo this latch.

3) You will see that the bottom of these 2 tubes are supported by a rubber base guiding them through the bulkhead. The top half of these tubes though merely butt up against the bulkhead.

4) The top of these 2 tubes are supposed to be sealed by the rubber strap. In my car, not only was there a 1/8 inch gap between the intake tube and the bulkhead, the rubber strap didn't fit securely enough to creat a seal.

5) Thinking this was not what Ford intended, I sealed the gap with a little duct tape and overlaid that with a layer or two of adhesive felt, then reinstalled the rubber strap.

6) To my surprise, my driveability issues largely went away. My car now behaves the way it should, with much better throttle response at launch and greatly diminished surging, bogging and lunging.

It doesn't make complete sense to me why this is so. However, as suction devices like an intake tube typically draw air first from the closest source and getting air from the intake horn is a bit "uphill" anyway, the car was probably ingesting a lot of warm, engine compartment air, particularly at a stop. When acceleration is asked for, it will suddenly start to ingest the much cooler air from the intake horn. If the PCM had adjusted the fuel mixture to suit the less-dense warm engine compartment air, a sudden introduction of colder air could make the engine run lean for a few seconds. What is a classic sign of a lean mixture? Surging.

So, this may be wishful thinking. However, it could explain why some cars are great and others aren't. It could also explain why some have improved throttle response by removing the intake box cover - while the intake air is hot at least its temperature doesn't suddenly change.

In any event, if you have these symptoms, undo the strap and take a look. If you have a gap or the strap doesn't seem to seal well try filling the gap with tape. Again, all you're doing is putting the car in the condition Ford intended. Apologies in advance if this is no help to others.
Dan, I think you should pm this to Crystal and also "eric at ford" over at the ford focus facebook page. I think you may have hit on something
Old 08-15-2013, 06:42 AM   #87
slybarman
Focus Addict

Fan#: 105425
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

FF Reputation: 6 slybarman Good Standing Member
If ford was interested, they would have found it already on their own.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:45 AM   #88
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slybarman View Post
If ford was interested, they would have found it already on their own.

The cars, like computers, are sometimes more complicated than their inventors. I think users like Dan can sometimes come up with a new angle, and it should be investigated. Imagine if all these clutches, bearings, reflashes etc etc were unneeded in some cases.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:46 AM   #89
novus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 107022
What I Drive: '12 Tuxedo Black Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 2 novus Good Standing Member
Here are some shots.
This is what everyone is talking about.

Here is what my gap looked like.

And here it is sealed. (Stole some of my nieces duck tape since mine went missing...)

Old 08-15-2013, 06:58 AM   #90
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by novus View Post
Here are some shots.
This is what everyone is talking about.

Here is what my gap looked like.

And here it is sealed. (Stole some of my nieces duck tape since mine went missing...)

I know for a fact that cold air induction works, having seen before and after driveability and also understanding the general principal.
Please communicate these pictures and explanation to Crystal here at this board.
If focus systems are taking in hotter air than the design intended, this could be causing some of the problems.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Tags
dct fix, powershift fix