5 Minute throttle response/DCT solution? - Page 26 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-23-2014, 09:00 PM   #251
danbfree
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 159706
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Hatcback SE tuxedo black

FF Reputation: 3 danbfree Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboarder119 View Post
Engineers don't drive automatic transmissions.
LOL... ok, that makes sense now. My apologies... but leave the tape on, it can only help, especially as it gets warmer out... Have you tried using premium fuel? I know it's only $.20 more a gallon where I live but it definitely helps with driveability. The PCM can take advantage of the higher octane and not have to retard timing as much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2014, 05:45 AM   #252
mjsparky363
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93058
What I Drive: 04 f150/2012 SEL/2014 Ti

FF Reputation: 1 mjsparky363 Good Standing Member
In my case I'm starting to think it is a shift software problem. I have 2 DCT Focus' a 2012 and a 2014 and the 2012 went in for clutches and seals last month (totally corrected the shutter). At that time they installed the latest software upgrade for the PCM. Before this both cars had the hesitation. I did snorkel delete and K&N on both and tried the duct tape fix. Kind of gave up and figured it was my driving style, as my wife didn't notice it, or the variable valve timing. Well after we got the 12 back with the new clutches and stuff, no hesitation at all on that car. I tried to get some info from Ford about release dates and things but they just told me to take it to the dealer. I'm to busy right now but will get there sooner or later. Just wondering if others that had the clutches and seals done recently, in 2014, have noticed the hesitation is gone. Anyway, safely enjoy your Focus and have a good Memorial Day.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:43 AM   #253
danbfree
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjsparky363 View Post
In my case I'm starting to think it is a shift software problem. I have 2 DCT Focus' a 2012 and a 2014 and the 2012 went in for clutches and seals last month (totally corrected the shutter). At that time they installed the latest software upgrade for the PCM. Before this both cars had the hesitation. I did snorkel delete and K&N on both and tried the duct tape fix. Kind of gave up and figured it was my driving style, as my wife didn't notice it, or the variable valve timing. Well after we got the 12 back with the new clutches and stuff, no hesitation at all on that car. I tried to get some info from Ford about release dates and things but they just told me to take it to the dealer. I'm to busy right now but will get there sooner or later. Just wondering if others that had the clutches and seals done recently, in 2014, have noticed the hesitation is gone. Anyway, safely enjoy your Focus and have a good Memorial Day.
The hesitation definitely usually goes away after the computer is cleared during a repair. Make sure to "get on it", at least a bit "off the line" when safe and the computer will learn that you need that acceleration and will be more likely to keep it responsive for you. Also, the latest repairs DO seem to be working pretty well, mine has 2000 miles since mine and no degradation at all so far... Good luck and enjoy the long weekend too!
Old 06-07-2014, 10:14 AM   #254
JSB33
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 146314
What I Drive: 2014 Titanium Performance Blue HB

FF Reputation: 1 JSB33 Good Standing Member
Here is the gap on my 2014.
Nothing much to speak of and I am sure the rubber strap seals off the little gap when its closed anyway. Just in case i did cover it with some electrical tape.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:11 AM   #255
tmumolo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 117776
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Se

FF Reputation: 1 tmumolo Good Standing Member
Count Me In

I had the D series clutch pack replacement done on my 2012 with DCT and I haven't had any more problems with it. But the other day in 104 temps I noticed the throttle lag issue. I came to the forum to see if I was alone and found this thread. I tried this fix and unless I'm deluding myself there is a definite improvement in throttle response at all temps but especially when temps were around 100 here in the high desert Apple Valley ca. I've only driven it one day since the fix so we'll see how it goes but so far I'm a believer.
It's hard to believe that at this point in car technology something this seemingly insignificant could make such a difference. How could Ford miss this weak link? I think they might have avoided a lot of negative blow back if this problem had been caught and addressed in the original design.
Hot air in the engine compartment getting sucked into the engine. Duh!
Old 06-11-2014, 06:28 AM   #256
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95399
What I Drive: Mazda-3 , formerly a focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 mr_cassandra Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmumolo View Post
I had the D series clutch pack replacement done on my 2012 with DCT and I haven't had any more problems with it. But the other day in 104 temps I noticed the throttle lag issue. I came to the forum to see if I was alone and found this thread. I tried this fix and unless I'm deluding myself there is a definite improvement in throttle response at all temps but especially when temps were around 100 here in the high desert Apple Valley ca. I've only driven it one day since the fix so we'll see how it goes but so far I'm a believer.
It's hard to believe that at this point in car technology something this seemingly insignificant could make such a difference. How could Ford miss this weak link? I think they might have avoided a lot of negative blow back if this problem had been caught and addressed in the original design.
its really not insignificant.
there is a whole import tuner subculture which has been using cold air intakes for many years now.
I have driven one and seen the difference.
any gas motor will be gain efficiency the cooler the incoming air is.
you can get more cool air into the combustion chamber than hot
that gap people have found defeats the above concept because it allows just the opposite
Old 06-11-2014, 10:05 AM   #257
danbfree
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmumolo View Post
I also did the snorkel delete and run premium fuel and the combination of these 3 things helps significantly in the heat for sure... then again it's only gotten up to mid 80's for far up here in Portland... I'm driving down to visit my son in Orange County for 4th of July, I'll have to see how it is then.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:40 PM   #258
kennyh3
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 182753
What I Drive: 2014 ruby red focus

FF Reputation: 1 kennyh3 Good Standing Member
I wonder why Ford hasn't responded yet......maybe because they don't wont to fix it !!!!!
Old 08-20-2014, 01:26 AM   #259
novus
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 107022
What I Drive: '12 Tuxedo Black Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 5 novus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyh3 View Post
I wonder why Ford hasn't responded yet......maybe because they don't wont to fix it !!!!!
Probably because it's not much of an issue.
Hatch Nation #118

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Tags
dct fix , powershift fix
-->