5 Minute throttle response/DCT solution? - Page 26 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2014, 09:00 PM   #251
danbfree
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Fan#: 159706
Location: Portland, OR
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Hatcback SE tuxedo black

Posts: 404
FF Reputation: 3 danbfree Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboarder119 View Post
Engineers don't drive automatic transmissions.
LOL... ok, that makes sense now. My apologies... but leave the tape on, it can only help, especially as it gets warmer out... Have you tried using premium fuel? I know it's only $.20 more a gallon where I live but it definitely helps with driveability. The PCM can take advantage of the higher octane and not have to retard timing as much.
danbfree is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-24-2014, 05:45 AM   #252
mjsparky363
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Fan#: 93058
Location: Poughkeepsie, NY
What I Drive: 04 f150/2012 SEL/2014 Ti

Posts: 64
FF Reputation: 1 mjsparky363 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
In my case I'm starting to think it is a shift software problem. I have 2 DCT Focus' a 2012 and a 2014 and the 2012 went in for clutches and seals last month (totally corrected the shutter). At that time they installed the latest software upgrade for the PCM. Before this both cars had the hesitation. I did snorkel delete and K&N on both and tried the duct tape fix. Kind of gave up and figured it was my driving style, as my wife didn't notice it, or the variable valve timing. Well after we got the 12 back with the new clutches and stuff, no hesitation at all on that car. I tried to get some info from Ford about release dates and things but they just told me to take it to the dealer. I'm to busy right now but will get there sooner or later. Just wondering if others that had the clutches and seals done recently, in 2014, have noticed the hesitation is gone. Anyway, safely enjoy your Focus and have a good Memorial Day.
mjsparky363 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 10:43 AM   #253
danbfree
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Fan#: 159706
Location: Portland, OR
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Hatcback SE tuxedo black

Posts: 404
FF Reputation: 3 danbfree Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjsparky363 View Post
In my case I'm starting to think it is a shift software problem. I have 2 DCT Focus' a 2012 and a 2014 and the 2012 went in for clutches and seals last month (totally corrected the shutter). At that time they installed the latest software upgrade for the PCM. Before this both cars had the hesitation. I did snorkel delete and K&N on both and tried the duct tape fix. Kind of gave up and figured it was my driving style, as my wife didn't notice it, or the variable valve timing. Well after we got the 12 back with the new clutches and stuff, no hesitation at all on that car. I tried to get some info from Ford about release dates and things but they just told me to take it to the dealer. I'm to busy right now but will get there sooner or later. Just wondering if others that had the clutches and seals done recently, in 2014, have noticed the hesitation is gone. Anyway, safely enjoy your Focus and have a good Memorial Day.
The hesitation definitely usually goes away after the computer is cleared during a repair. Make sure to "get on it", at least a bit "off the line" when safe and the computer will learn that you need that acceleration and will be more likely to keep it responsive for you. Also, the latest repairs DO seem to be working pretty well, mine has 2000 miles since mine and no degradation at all so far... Good luck and enjoy the long weekend too!
danbfree is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:14 AM   #254
JSB33
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Fan#: 146314
Location: Bedford, United States
What I Drive: 2014 Titanium Performance Blue HB

Posts: 46
FF Reputation: 1 JSB33 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Here is the gap on my 2014.
Nothing much to speak of and I am sure the rubber strap seals off the little gap when its closed anyway. Just in case i did cover it with some electrical tape.
JSB33 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:11 AM   #255
tmumolo
Focus Enthusiast
 
tmumolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Fan#: 117776
Location: apple valley, CA
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Se

Posts: 101
FF Reputation: 1 tmumolo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Count Me In

I had the D series clutch pack replacement done on my 2012 with DCT and I haven't had any more problems with it. But the other day in 104 temps I noticed the throttle lag issue. I came to the forum to see if I was alone and found this thread. I tried this fix and unless I'm deluding myself there is a definite improvement in throttle response at all temps but especially when temps were around 100 here in the high desert Apple Valley ca. I've only driven it one day since the fix so we'll see how it goes but so far I'm a believer.
It's hard to believe that at this point in car technology something this seemingly insignificant could make such a difference. How could Ford miss this weak link? I think they might have avoided a lot of negative blow back if this problem had been caught and addressed in the original design.
Hot air in the engine compartment getting sucked into the engine. Duh!
tmumolo is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:28 AM   #256
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95399
Location: somewhere, MA
What I Drive: Mazda-3 , formerly a focus SE

Posts: 726
FF Reputation: 2 mr_cassandra Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmumolo View Post
I had the D series clutch pack replacement done on my 2012 with DCT and I haven't had any more problems with it. But the other day in 104 temps I noticed the throttle lag issue. I came to the forum to see if I was alone and found this thread. I tried this fix and unless I'm deluding myself there is a definite improvement in throttle response at all temps but especially when temps were around 100 here in the high desert Apple Valley ca. I've only driven it one day since the fix so we'll see how it goes but so far I'm a believer.
It's hard to believe that at this point in car technology something this seemingly insignificant could make such a difference. How could Ford miss this weak link? I think they might have avoided a lot of negative blow back if this problem had been caught and addressed in the original design.
Hot air in the engine compartment getting sucked into the engine. Duh!
its really not insignificant.
there is a whole import tuner subculture which has been using cold air intakes for many years now.
I have driven one and seen the difference.
any gas motor will be gain efficiency the cooler the incoming air is.
you can get more cool air into the combustion chamber than hot
that gap people have found defeats the above concept because it allows just the opposite
__________________
Disclaimer: the only intention of questions I ask or statements I make is to gather or disseminate more info about DCT problems for the benefit of people who are here talking about them.
If your Focus happens to run fine, enjoy it !
mr_cassandra is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:05 AM   #257
danbfree
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Fan#: 159706
Location: Portland, OR
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Hatcback SE tuxedo black

Posts: 404
FF Reputation: 3 danbfree Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmumolo View Post
I had the D series clutch pack replacement done on my 2012 with DCT and I haven't had any more problems with it. But the other day in 104 temps I noticed the throttle lag issue. I came to the forum to see if I was alone and found this thread. I tried this fix and unless I'm deluding myself there is a definite improvement in throttle response at all temps but especially when temps were around 100 here in the high desert Apple Valley ca. I've only driven it one day since the fix so we'll see how it goes but so far I'm a believer.
It's hard to believe that at this point in car technology something this seemingly insignificant could make such a difference. How could Ford miss this weak link? I think they might have avoided a lot of negative blow back if this problem had been caught and addressed in the original design.
Hot air in the engine compartment getting sucked into the engine. Duh!
I also did the snorkel delete and run premium fuel and the combination of these 3 things helps significantly in the heat for sure... then again it's only gotten up to mid 80's for far up here in Portland... I'm driving down to visit my son in Orange County for 4th of July, I'll have to see how it is then.
danbfree is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:40 PM   #258
kennyh3
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Fan#: 182753
Location: Bethlehem, GA
What I Drive: 2014 ruby red focus

Posts: 8
FF Reputation: 1 kennyh3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I wonder why Ford hasn't responded yet......maybe because they don't wont to fix it !!!!!
kennyh3 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:26 AM   #259
novus
Focus Fanatic
 
novus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Fan#: 107022
Location: Scott AFB, IL
What I Drive: '12 Tuxedo Black Focus SEL

Posts: 1,544
FF Reputation: 5 novus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyh3 View Post
I wonder why Ford hasn't responded yet......maybe because they don't wont to fix it !!!!!
Probably because it's not much of an issue.
__________________
Hatch Nation #118
novus is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Tags
dct fix , powershift fix
-->
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:40 PM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.