5 Minute throttle response/DCT solution? - Page 25 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-07-2014, 12:55 PM   #241
Triple_S
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 159578
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Focus S, MTX

FF Reputation: 1 Triple_S Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slybarman View Post
I used rope caulk. Seals well, stays pliable, and easy to remove.
Hmm, this is another good idea
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2014, 09:01 PM   #242
Outsider1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 160922
FF Reputation: 1 Outsider1 Good Standing Member
I used a paint stir stick to force the tube up against the boot for a better seal for a temporary fix. Gonna use some rubber adhesive if I notice a difference. Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromFF Mobile1399514399617.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	45578Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromFF Mobile1399514412973.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	45586
Old 05-07-2014, 10:41 PM   #243
Seminoles
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98405
What I Drive: 2012 SGM SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Seminoles Good Standing Member
Don't use adhesive that pice has to come out to get to transmission mount that's why it's like it is.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:11 PM   #244
Beelzy
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 160938
What I Drive: 2014 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Beelzy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by novus View Post
I think what you're experiencing is a placebo.
I see little to no gap there.
I think you were right. Although my initial test drives, at warm temps, made me think this gap tape solution helped, since then I've had some really bad shudder events. It seems this solution did not help as much as I originally thought.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:00 PM   #245
novus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 107022
What I Drive: '12 Tuxedo Black Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 2 novus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beelzy View Post
I think you were right. Although my initial test drives, at warm temps, made me think this gap tape solution helped, since then I've had some really bad shudder events. It seems this solution did not help as much as I originally thought.
Seeing as how you live in Chantilly. You probably sit in a lot of stop and go. That's a different issue.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:19 PM   #246
slybarman
Focus Addict

Fan#: 105425
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

FF Reputation: 6 slybarman Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beelzy View Post
Two separate issues. This will not fix a bad DCT, but leaving gap unsealed will make the DCT issues more pronounced at low speed.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:02 PM   #247
Metalcrack
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 127930
What I Drive: 2014 Dark Gray SE

FF Reputation: 1 Metalcrack Good Standing Member
I am now a believer. I drive the MT, but always noticed a pronounced lunge in my 1-2 shift if i shifted the same way as the rest. Needed a quick shift or much higher RPMs to be avoided.

No changes in driving by me, but a little piece of duct-tape.

Remarkable improvement. No lunge AT ALL shifting with no special care.

Had about a 1/8" opening as well.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:11 PM   #248
skiboarder119
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98455
What I Drive: 2012 black TI 5spd

FF Reputation: 1 skiboarder119 Good Standing Member
...As a mechanical engineer and with friends in the auto industry I had my doubts, but I tried this anyway.

I did not have major issues like some. I noticed a brief, but sudden apparent loss of all power a few times in 5th gear which I had previously attributed to a software glitch in this stupid electronic throttle. Nothing major. After that slight bob of my head the car was back to normal, the whole event probably lasted about 0.5-1.0 seconds. I also have some light stuttering in 2nd and 3rd gear everyday going up a gradual incline out of my work parking lot. These are very minor issues, my wife only noticed a stutter once in 5th gear.

I had a rather large gap, just like some of the worst pictures posted in this post. I sealed it up with tape. I still had some ever so slight stuttering when leaving work yesterday, just like normal. I'll be removing the tape and accepting that electronics will never be as good as mechanics.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:43 PM   #249
danbfree
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 159706
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Hatcback SE tuxedo black

FF Reputation: 3 danbfree Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboarder119 View Post
...As a mechanical engineer and with friends in the auto industry I had my doubts, but I tried this anyway.

I did not have major issues like some. I noticed a brief, but sudden apparent loss of all power a few times in 5th gear which I had previously attributed to a software glitch in this stupid electronic throttle. Nothing major. After that slight bob of my head the car was back to normal, the whole event probably lasted about 0.5-1.0 seconds. I also have some light stuttering in 2nd and 3rd gear everyday going up a gradual incline out of my work parking lot. These are very minor issues, my wife only noticed a stutter once in 5th gear.

I had a rather large gap, just like some of the worst pictures posted in this post. I sealed it up with tape. I still had some ever so slight stuttering when leaving work yesterday, just like normal. I'll be removing the tape and accepting that electronics will never be as good as mechanics.
I'm not sure why people, and especially someone who is an engineer, would seem to think this will help transmissions shudders that have already developed (and yes, it's officially called a shudder, not "stutter"). If you have the transmission shuddering at very low speeds and/or complete loss of power on occasion then you have a transmission problem that NEEDS to be fixed under TSB 14-0047 (look under the TSB/recall forum). If you have a huge gap in the air intake then taping it WILL help allow the proper cool air to reach your intake and help with engine hesitation and performance in general. There was no need to go back in and take the tape out. With that fix in place, you will have a more smooth and linear power delivery that can help prevent further transmission problems, but it won't fix a transmission that is already broken.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:53 PM   #250
skiboarder119
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98455
What I Drive: 2012 black TI 5spd

FF Reputation: 1 skiboarder119 Good Standing Member
Engineers don't drive automatic transmissions.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Tags
dct fix, powershift fix