A new spin on DCT problems - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace



Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2014, 11:14 AM   #1
FocusOnTheTarget
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Fan#: 134345
Location: Palouse, WA
What I Drive: 2012, Ruby Red, hatchback SE

Posts: 23
FF Reputation: 1 FocusOnTheTarget Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
A new spin on DCT problems

I'm brand new on these forums, but I've been reading a lot about the DCT and its problems. I am posting this here, rather than in the recall thread, because I want different feedback. The target audience in that thread are those who are currently having problems, but I want to hear from those who had a repair to the DCT and have had no problems since.

I am looking into making a purchase of a '12 Focus and just found out that it had clutches and seals replaced at 25K due to leakage into the clutch assembly. The current owner, who I trust, says the issue has been fixed completely since then and it is now at 50K.

Reading the recall thread it seems like a recurring problem for many. Has anyone had the repair and had it truly fix the problem? I feel like its hard to find those folks side of the story.


FocusOnTheTarget is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-11-2014, 11:20 AM   #2
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic
 
felixthecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Fan#: 80663
Location: Renton, WA
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Posts: 6,968
FF Reputation: 47 felixthecat Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
to. A few ppl I know changed out to different cars= earlier auto focus & a couple of Mazda3's. I have driven one w/ issues & when in for a reman trans & wks later drove it & it was the same. That was a 1.5 yrs ago. Where is Palouse, Wa?
__________________
Interduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
felixthecat is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:25 AM   #3
dan50
Focus Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Fan#: 91789
Location: Too much info, IL
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

Posts: 1,130
FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusOnTheTarget View Post
I'm brand new on these forums, but I've been reading a lot about the DCT and its problems. I am posting this here, rather than in the recall thread, because I want different feedback. The target audience in that thread are those who are currently having problems, but I want to hear from those who had a repair to the DCT and have had no problems since.

I am looking into making a purchase of a '12 Focus and just found out that it had clutches and seals replaced at 25K due to leakage into the clutch assembly. The current owner, who I trust, says the issue has been fixed completely since then and it is now at 50K.

Reading the recall thread it seems like a recurring problem for many. Has anyone had the repair and had it truly fix the problem? I feel like its hard to find those folks side of the story.
Other than the general quirkiness of the DCT, a clutch/seal replacement can be a permanent repair. Some have found the problems reappear, but they usually do so fairly quickly. If the new clutch has been used 25,000 miles and the car still seems fine, it's reasonable to conclude the repair should last.

One caveat, though: for some, bad DCT behavior only occurs after the car has been driven for an hour or more and is really warmed-up. If possible, it would be a good idea to test drive the car under these conditions.

Make sure you get a good price on the car as there are any number of alternatives where the "did I get a good transmission or not..." question doesn't apply.
dan50 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:29 AM   #4
FocusOnTheTarget
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Fan#: 134345
Location: Palouse, WA
What I Drive: 2012, Ruby Red, hatchback SE

Posts: 23
FF Reputation: 1 FocusOnTheTarget Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thanks for the feedback and welcome. Palouse is a great little town on the Eastern border with Idaho. It's near Pullman, WA and Washington State University. If you follow football their current claim to fame is hiring coach Mike Leach from Texas Tech and finally making it to a bowl game after 15 years of truly awful football. If football isn't your thing you've probably seen pictures of the landscape, its rather pretty.
FocusOnTheTarget is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:37 AM   #5
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic
 
felixthecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Fan#: 80663
Location: Renton, WA
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Posts: 6,968
FF Reputation: 47 felixthecat Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusOnTheTarget View Post
Thanks for the feedback and welcome. Palouse is a great little town on the Eastern border with Idaho. It's near Pullman, WA and Washington State University. If you follow football their current claim to fame is hiring coach Mike Leach from Texas Tech and finally making it to a bowl game after 15 years of truly awful football. If football isn't your thing you've probably seen pictures of the landscape, its rather pretty.
Oh, yea I remember now.
__________________
Interduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
felixthecat is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:38 AM   #6
slybarman
Focus Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Fan#: 105425
Location: the not-so-free state, MD
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

Posts: 971
FF Reputation: 3 slybarman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
So far, PratonN is the only member I know for a fact that had his replaced and not had the problems return after a reasonable amount of time. Most of them are OK for a few weeks/months and then problems seem to return.
__________________
MK3 Focus = a lot of good ideas rather poorly executed.
slybarman is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:52 PM   #7
vegachicago
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Fan#: 89988
Location: Chicago, IL
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL Sterling Grey

Posts: 158
FF Reputation: 2 vegachicago Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Both PratonN and I have had our clutches replaced at the same dealer which I recommended. Since then, I've driven 9,000 and its still pretty smooth in shifting and no can of marbles noise. I am very happy with my vehicle. But coming from a 5 speed stick on my former car I am familiar with what is acceptable for a clutch automatic. I know it's not a slush box and don't expect it to behave like one. Once this behavior is accepted, one can get on life.
vegachicago is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:49 PM   #8
GoldenHour
Focus Enthusiast
 
GoldenHour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Fan#: 103427
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black ST

Posts: 337
FF Reputation: 3 GoldenHour Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusOnTheTarget View Post
I'm brand new on these forums, but I've been reading a lot about the DCT and its problems. I am posting this here, rather than in the recall thread, because I want different feedback. The target audience in that thread are those who are currently having problems, but I want to hear from those who had a repair to the DCT and have had no problems since.

I am looking into making a purchase of a '12 Focus and just found out that it had clutches and seals replaced at 25K due to leakage into the clutch assembly. The current owner, who I trust, says the issue has been fixed completely since then and it is now at 50K.

Reading the recall thread it seems like a recurring problem for many. Has anyone had the repair and had it truly fix the problem? I feel like its hard to find those folks side of the story.
how does he know it has been fixed "completely"? sounds like something a car salesman would say. my clutch started grinding at 21k miles. I dumped the car.
GoldenHour is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:52 PM   #9
GoldenHour
Focus Enthusiast
 
GoldenHour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Fan#: 103427
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black ST

Posts: 337
FF Reputation: 3 GoldenHour Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
Other than the general quirkiness of the DCT, a clutch/seal replacement can be a permanent repair. Some have found the problems reappear, but they usually do so fairly quickly. If the new clutch has been used 25,000 miles and the car still seems fine, it's reasonable to conclude the repair should last.
One caveat, though: for some, bad DCT behavior only occurs after the car has been driven for an hour or more and is really warmed-up. If possible, it would be a good idea to test drive the car under these conditions.

Make sure you get a good price on the car as there are any number of alternatives where the "did I get a good transmission or not..." question doesn't apply.
or it's ready to go again. depends on how you think.
GoldenHour is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:25 PM   #10
Hypnotoad
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2011
Fan#: 85864
Location: Ottawa, Canada
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Focus SEL

Posts: 155
FF Reputation: 3 Hypnotoad Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I had the clutch pack replaced on my 2012 last March and the problem has not re-occurred.
Hypnotoad is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:34 PM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information : Site Map

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX. You can find all Ford Focus related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.