A new spin on DCT problems - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-11-2014, 11:14 AM   #1
FocusOnTheTarget
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 134345
What I Drive: 2012, Ruby Red, hatchback SE

FF Reputation: 1 FocusOnTheTarget Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
A new spin on DCT problems

I'm brand new on these forums, but I've been reading a lot about the DCT and its problems. I am posting this here, rather than in the recall thread, because I want different feedback. The target audience in that thread are those who are currently having problems, but I want to hear from those who had a repair to the DCT and have had no problems since.

I am looking into making a purchase of a '12 Focus and just found out that it had clutches and seals replaced at 25K due to leakage into the clutch assembly. The current owner, who I trust, says the issue has been fixed completely since then and it is now at 50K.

Reading the recall thread it seems like a recurring problem for many. Has anyone had the repair and had it truly fix the problem? I feel like its hard to find those folks side of the story.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2014, 11:20 AM   #2
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 47 felixthecat Great Standing Member
to. A few ppl I know changed out to different cars= earlier auto focus & a couple of Mazda3's. I have driven one w/ issues & when in for a reman trans & wks later drove it & it was the same. That was a 1.5 yrs ago. Where is Palouse, Wa?
Interduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 01-11-2014, 11:25 AM   #3
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusOnTheTarget View Post
I'm brand new on these forums, but I've been reading a lot about the DCT and its problems. I am posting this here, rather than in the recall thread, because I want different feedback. The target audience in that thread are those who are currently having problems, but I want to hear from those who had a repair to the DCT and have had no problems since.

I am looking into making a purchase of a '12 Focus and just found out that it had clutches and seals replaced at 25K due to leakage into the clutch assembly. The current owner, who I trust, says the issue has been fixed completely since then and it is now at 50K.

Reading the recall thread it seems like a recurring problem for many. Has anyone had the repair and had it truly fix the problem? I feel like its hard to find those folks side of the story.
Other than the general quirkiness of the DCT, a clutch/seal replacement can be a permanent repair. Some have found the problems reappear, but they usually do so fairly quickly. If the new clutch has been used 25,000 miles and the car still seems fine, it's reasonable to conclude the repair should last.

One caveat, though: for some, bad DCT behavior only occurs after the car has been driven for an hour or more and is really warmed-up. If possible, it would be a good idea to test drive the car under these conditions.

Make sure you get a good price on the car as there are any number of alternatives where the "did I get a good transmission or not..." question doesn't apply.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:29 AM   #4
FocusOnTheTarget
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 134345
What I Drive: 2012, Ruby Red, hatchback SE

FF Reputation: 1 FocusOnTheTarget Good Standing Member
Thanks for the feedback and welcome. Palouse is a great little town on the Eastern border with Idaho. It's near Pullman, WA and Washington State University. If you follow football their current claim to fame is hiring coach Mike Leach from Texas Tech and finally making it to a bowl game after 15 years of truly awful football. If football isn't your thing you've probably seen pictures of the landscape, its rather pretty.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:37 AM   #5
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 47 felixthecat Great Standing Member
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback and welcome. Palouse is a great little town on the Eastern border with Idaho. It's near Pullman, WA and Washington State University. If you follow football their current claim to fame is hiring coach Mike Leach from Texas Tech and finally making it to a bowl game after 15 years of truly awful football. If football isn't your thing you've probably seen pictures of the landscape, its rather pretty.
Oh, yea I remember now.
Interduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 01-11-2014, 11:38 AM   #6
slybarman
Focus Addict

Fan#: 105425
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

FF Reputation: 3 slybarman Good Standing Member
So far, PratonN is the only member I know for a fact that had his replaced and not had the problems return after a reasonable amount of time. Most of them are OK for a few weeks/months and then problems seem to return.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:52 PM   #7
vegachicago
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89988
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL Sterling Grey

FF Reputation: 2 vegachicago Good Standing Member
Both PratonN and I have had our clutches replaced at the same dealer which I recommended. Since then, I've driven 9,000 and its still pretty smooth in shifting and no can of marbles noise. I am very happy with my vehicle. But coming from a 5 speed stick on my former car I am familiar with what is acceptable for a clutch automatic. I know it's not a slush box and don't expect it to behave like one. Once this behavior is accepted, one can get on life.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:49 PM   #8
GoldenHour
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103427
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black ST

FF Reputation: 3 GoldenHour Good Standing Member
Quote:

how does he know it has been fixed "completely"? sounds like something a car salesman would say. my clutch started grinding at 21k miles. I dumped the car.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:52 PM   #9
GoldenHour
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103427
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black ST

FF Reputation: 3 GoldenHour Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
Other than the general quirkiness of the DCT, a clutch/seal replacement can be a permanent repair. Some have found the problems reappear, but they usually do so fairly quickly. If the new clutch has been used 25,000 miles and the car still seems fine, it's reasonable to conclude the repair should last.
One caveat, though: for some, bad DCT behavior only occurs after the car has been driven for an hour or more and is really warmed-up. If possible, it would be a good idea to test drive the car under these conditions.

Make sure you get a good price on the car as there are any number of alternatives where the "did I get a good transmission or not..." question doesn't apply.
or it's ready to go again. depends on how you think.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:25 PM   #10
Hypnotoad
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85864
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 3 Hypnotoad Good Standing Member
I had the clutch pack replaced on my 2012 last March and the problem has not re-occurred.

Bookmarks & Social Networks