Automatic Trans - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-29-2013, 10:15 AM   #1
BWM2006ZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89475
What I Drive: 2006 Yellow ZX3

FF Reputation: 2 BWM2006ZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Exclamation Automatic Trans

Chances are this has already been answered in multiple places but i cant seem to find it anywhere.

I have a 2006 ZX3 2.0 with an automatic trans.
It has come to the time where i would like to turbo it with the FSW Stage 2.
The issue that i am running into is trying to figure out how much boost my stock trans would be able to handle. I figured the engine could handle more but i dont know for sure.
The main reason is because i would like the car to be a little bit more fun and it is a DD.
Previously i have heard that they handle 11-12psi and buck at 14psi? Am i hearing wrong? For DD i probably would like to push between 8 and 10 but that depends on whats safe.

Currently i have 50k on it but i dont know if that would make any difference.

Thanks for any info.
Ben

RallyRevolution:#23
AVIDRallier
3”Magnaflow - Focus Rally BLACK EAPS FRPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnbridledCarnage View Post
drop it on its nuts asap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2013, 03:10 PM   #2
megax36
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 41533
What I Drive: 09' Black SE

FF Reputation: 4 megax36 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
The general consensus is that the auto tranny can only handle around 200hp safely.

I've got a 2.3L with a custom turbo kit, and the ATX died after 8 months of running 10psi. Bottom line is that if you want to make any real power gains with the ATX, you're going to need a performance one from Lentech.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:22 AM   #3
BWM2006ZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by megax36 View Post
The general consensus is that the auto tranny can only handle around 200hp safely.

I've got a 2.3L with a custom turbo kit, and the ATX died after 8 months of running 10psi. Bottom line is that if you want to make any real power gains with the ATX, you're going to need a performance one from Lentech.
8 months would give me enough time to get money and buy the lentech trans. Do you know how much it would cost? Ive seen them for $2000 and then ive heard of them being $4000. The pricing on the website is a little confusing to me. So at 8psi do you think it would last a little longer or would it have the same affect.

My main reason is for having a little fun and not needed boat loads of power. For the main part this would be a DD.
AVIDRallier
Quote:
drop it on its nuts asap
Old 07-30-2013, 01:03 PM   #4
megax36
Focus Enthusiast

Yes my car is a DD as well. It really all depends on how you drive it. If you do a lot of jack rabbit starts from stop lights that can really put a lot of stress on the ATX. However if you just do occasional boosting on the interstate/highway then your OEM ATX will last longer. Also, small turbos are harder on any transmission because the full power comes on much sooner in the power band, so that will also have an effect on how long your ATX will last.

As far as the lentech transmissions go. I would advise you to get their most expensive offering, the street terminator plus which is rated up to 500hp I believe, as they no longer make the strip terminator which was rated up to 700hp...Unless you can hunt down the rare ford racing torque converter along with its 23 spline input shaft, then they can make you one of those. The reason I would recommend their best offering, is because this way you would not be limited in the future if you choose to add more boost! They also come with a lifetime warranty, even though you'll still have to pay to ship it back should something happen.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:22 PM   #5
BWM2006ZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
As far as the lentech transmissions go. I would advise you to get their most expensive offering, the street terminator plus which is rated up to 500hp I believe, as they no longer make the strip terminator which was rated up to 700hp...Unless you can hunt down the rare ford racing torque converter along with its 23 spline input shaft, then they can make you one of those. The reason I would recommend their best offering, is because this way you would not be limited in the future if you choose to add more boost! They also come with a lifetime warranty, even though you'll still have to pay to ship it back should something happen.
The Lentech trans fits the Duratec correct? I guess i dont know enough about the trans to know.
Do you know if the price that i see, the $3k for the Street Terminator Plus, is the full price including everything? Or would i have to add in all the other accessories...
Pricing
AVIDRallier
Quote:
drop it on its nuts asap
Old 08-06-2013, 10:15 AM   #6
megax36
Focus Enthusiast

Yes, Lentech makes transmissions for both Zetec and Duratec. The only difference with the two is that Ford changed the bellhousing on the Duratecs because they moved the starter to the front side of the engine. Lentech will simply aquire a core (salvage) transmission for your year model, and will tear it down and build it back up using performance parts.

As for the 3K price tag, that will get you the transmission with the valvle body. It doesn't cover the core charge, cost of the torque convert or frieght shipping however.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:56 PM   #7
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96835
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Honestly, it's a very expensive way to get a fun daily driver when you gotta throw a $4k transmission at it just to stay together at 250 hp.

turbo kit + lentech trans = enough money to buy a faster car
Old 08-07-2013, 01:15 AM   #8
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Carl. cjones I believe his user name is, runs a turbo and ATX. I don't believe he has many trans problems he would be the best person to get answers from.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:23 AM   #9
BWM2006ZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Yes, Lentech makes transmissions for both Zetec and Duratec. The only difference with the two is that Ford changed the bellhousing on the Duratecs because they moved the starter to the front side of the engine. Lentech will simply aquire a core (salvage) transmission for your year model, and will tear it down and build it back up using performance parts.

As for the 3K price tag, that will get you the transmission with the valvle body. It doesn't cover the core charge, cost of the torque convert or frieght shipping however.
So for the duratec do you know if I have the 4F27E or the FN4A-EL?
I would get the more expensive TQ converter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsolo View Post
Honestly, it's a very expensive way to get a fun daily driver when you gotta throw a $4k transmission at it just to stay together at 250 hp.

turbo kit + lentech trans = enough money to buy a faster car
But then again how many people have one? Im trying to be alittle bit more unique i guess you could say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGlassMaker View Post
Carl. cjones I believe his user name is, runs a turbo and ATX. I don't believe he has many trans problems he would be the best person to get answers from.
Havent been able to fine him. Thanks though!
AVIDRallier
Quote:
drop it on its nuts asap
Old 08-07-2013, 11:37 AM   #10
redwake
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100718
What I Drive: 00 Black ZTS

FF Reputation: 3 redwake Good Standing Member