Turbocharger Kit for 2013 Focus Sedan - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-29-2013, 02:13 PM   #21
loki993
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82968
What I Drive: 13 Red SE 5 speed

FF Reputation: 1 loki993 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkangelism View Post
At least with stock engine internals, the FR-S/BRZ got boosted pretty far and they have 12.5:1 compression stock which is higher than the NA, so it's possible, but like you said, 10k is a more realistic price.
Wait wait...you're saying that the turbo FRS/BRZ has a higher compression ratio than the NA engine does?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2013, 02:41 PM   #22
Deesiel678
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105147
What I Drive: 2013 white SE hatch

FF Reputation: 3 Deesiel678 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by loki993 View Post
Wait wait...you're saying that the turbo FRS/BRZ has a higher compression ratio than the NA engine does?
There are a few forced induction kits (SC and Turbo) available for the FRS/BRZ that do not require lowering their 12.5:1 compression ratio.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:48 PM   #23
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac.mogul View Post
You're looking at it from cost-only perspective. "Why buy a new ST when you can buy a ratty old Focus and build it up for less?"
I am looking at this as
having a toy second car and keeping a relaible car
cost of car , built , Ins , resale
performance in HP and TQ ,
over all performance of the car 1/4-1/8 , track , street will out perform the ST , I will put my SVT 326HP 331TQ all stock but turbo kit against a ST boost level to boost level and out run the ST on any track short of parking lot racing and thats because I hate it
The 2004 ZX3 I had at FF13 is a super clean non rattly 275HP reliable car for 6800.00 less tires and wheels turn key ready to go no building needed

Quote:
Sure you can spend less money buying and modifying an old car, but you don't get modern build quality or a warranty. Also, you can't just buy an old car and it instantly becomes a performance car. You have to build it - and that takes time. The typical projects I see take a year or more as owners will change their minds several times before making a decision and encounter obstacles along the way. You also need to have room to keep/store/work on that second car... Not everyone has that.
ANY modding to the ST and you void the warranty , even a tune will if they know its there , Ford is being very strict on modding and warranty on the MK3 and ST , so my modding it the warranty is out , then to make 100HP more will cost you about 4500-6000 , turbo , down pipe , tune , fuel pump , intake piping , intercooler kit etc

Quote:
Some people just prefer new cars. As it is, the ST is the absolute - best - choice in its class of vehicle. There are faster cars (Mazdaspeed), but the ST is a total package that does everything well and then some without really sacrificing anything.
I agree with what you said here but it isnt for me , maybe the but the ST was to lacking for me

Quote:
(And if you don't like the optional seats, don't option them )
I didnt like any of the seats and 80% of the ST people I talk to say that as there biggest complaint with HP second , everyone beating there chest about the ST hasnt spent much time in a Zetec or duratec with 260=HP for long when they do ride in one they say oh my gosh how can I get my ST to do that .... you cant and why would you want to and void your warranty

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 07-29-2013, 02:49 PM   #24
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slo86GT View Post
[sarcasm] but but but... TOOOOM! Then you'd have to know how to turn a wrench!! [/sarcasm]

But seriously. Have my babies.
Yes you would and wait for future parts to be made

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 07-29-2013, 02:50 PM   #25
loki993
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82968
What I Drive: 13 Red SE 5 speed

FF Reputation: 1 loki993 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deesiel678 View Post
There are a few forced induction kits (SC and Turbo) available for the FRS/BRZ that do not require lowering their 12.5:1 compression ratio.

I see what your saying , the stock car isn't turbocharged, funny I thought one was.....

Yeah Im sure they are and there always are things like that for those that don't want to have to open up the motor, but to be totally honest, it's kind of half assing it if you ask me. If you going to go to all that trouble and spend all that money you may as well go all the way.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:53 PM   #26
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang0 View Post
So realistically you buy an old focus and put turbo on doing most work except dyno and tune, what are you going to have in it money wise aprox.?
I'm thinking over 10k. Any comments Tom? By the time you mod an old car and keep the new one you could have had the ST modded way past the old car level I"m thinking. Mho but long run I think Ben is right buy an ST even if you wait and get it used, you will have a better base, to work with overall and can still mod it.
I would buy one that is for sale ready to go or one needed a few things to finish , the ZX3 2004 I took to FF13 IS FOR SALE FOR 6800.00 (less wheels) and runs 13.7 has a TON of goodies and rare parts on it , to buy a ZX3 and build it for say 330HP would cost about 12,000 this is why I say buy one that is for sale

To make 330 with a ST your looking at what 20,000 for the car and then another 10,000 to make it to 330HP then you have no warranty and 30,000 in a 15,000 car

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 07-29-2013, 05:40 PM   #27
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
Just to recap , I own a 2012 Tit , I have a tune on it and love it , I have driven over a dozen ST and HATE the seats , suspension is a little rough for daily use for the Wife , lacking in performance in my opinion , you take off in 3rd gear and go woo?????? what happen is it over LOL at about 4800 , the ZX3 I took to FF was at 13-14psi and ran a 13.7 @ 110 mph , daily driver and will kick the crap out of the ST in a straight line or most anything other then parking lot racing , take both the road alanta , kershaw , VIR , mid ohio and you would be hard pressed to see my tail lights AND for over 10,000 less cost then the ST , Ins less then half the cost , tags and taxes 1/3 the cost of the ST so that being said where is the down side of him keeping his 13 and doing a ZX3 or SVT which in my opinion will out handle as well as the ST ?

Tom
The ST1 seats are the same as those in your wife's Ti. The only complaints I've ever heard about the recaros came from those whose physical stature is such that they had trouble fitting in the car even with the standard seats.

Personally I fit well in the Recaros, even though like many people could possibly stand to lose a bit of weight.

As to the ride quality being too harsh, I'd also have to agree to disagree. I had a 2012 SEL for 12 months, and with the 16" wheels and the higher ride height it actually rode slightly worse than the ST even over the terrible roads around here.

Now personally I'd recommend leaving the ST stock for a bit while under warranty and have fun with it as it is, but even a stock ST will run around a 5.7-6.0 0-60 and the quarter around 14.5-14.7 seconds. It will also pull around 0.93 g on the skid pad. For someone looking for just one car it's really hard to beat the ST in its segment.

With under $4100 Cobb is cranking out 300 hp and 380 lb-ft of torque, so it doesn't take $10,000 to get near your "330 hp figure. Of course if you want to modify the car then yes the warranty is your wallet, same with buying a $5000 + old car and then dumping another $5-10k in modifications to make it quicker. Is it less expensive than buying a faster car to start with? Perhaps, but the other car was new, more comfortable, has a warranty, and is reliable.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...st-test-review

If you isolate just the performance parts from the $5200 wheels, and ~$1000 in tires the Cobb packages only cost about 4100 ish if you're lowering the car and installing the stiffer sway bars also.

Lets say for a minute that the op spent $20k or so on the 2013, they would have to spend less than $5k on another car before they start spending more than what a base ST1 is going for these days. There have been reports of cars being let go for a lot less than the sticker price now that the 2014s are coming.

Then you'd have to pay to insure two cars, store two cars, and maintain two cars. While the insurance is not much different between a 2012+ N/A and an ST, the cost of insuring another car would be more than insuring the ST or an N/A separately.

So for many people it makes more sense to buy the car they want in the first place and not bother with storing and owning two cars at once for an individual.

It's not always about ultimate speed vs cost.

The MMT6 gearbox is nice, the 2.0 L Turbo engine pulls strongly, and the seats are all day comfortable. The ride is good, the handling is good, etc.

In an ideal world everyone could have multiple cars dedicated to a single purpose, but in reality that doesn't always work.

If the insurance for your second car is half as much as an ST, that's really 1.5x as much as just keeping the N/A alone due to the fact that to insure a second car costs more in total than it does to insure just one vehicle, same with the registration, it may only cost 1/3 that of an ST for the second car, but that's on top of the registration on the 2013, which may end up costing more than the registration for the ST alone, so the purchase cost of the older car is critical to the balance of the equations.

The insurance difference between an N/A and an ST depending on your driving record and history can be as little as $5-$10 per month, the registration is not much different either.

I'm all for people having the choice to do what they want with their car and their budget as long as they can hold themselves accountable for their own actions.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:54 PM   #28
redwake
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100718
What I Drive: 00 Black ZTS

FF Reputation: 3 redwake Good Standing Member
I think the op asked if there was a kit for the na mk3

No there isn't

Can you still do it? Yes.

Would it be worth the trouble? IMO no.

Unless you get off on being the first one to do it.. In that case better hurry some one else is working on it already.

My Car: http://tinyurl.com/8mpden8
Sr# 256.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:17 PM   #29
darkangelism
Sonic Crew #04

Fan#: 85425
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 9 darkangelism Good Standing Member
Quote:
I see what your saying , the stock car isn't turbocharged, funny I thought one was.....

Yeah Im sure they are and there always are things like that for those that don't want to have to open up the motor, but to be totally honest, it's kind of half assing it if you ask me. If you going to go to all that trouble and spend all that money you may as well go all the way.
depends on what you want, if it is still a daily driver, keeping the higher compression will help mpg, see NA focus vs ST. But all of this doesn't mean our engine can take it, just means it potentially could be possible.
Sonic Crew #04
Steeda SRI/Newmission | Steeda RSB | SMC Replica ST Wing | SMC Aluminum Oil cap | Injected Tune | 2.5" custom exhaust
Old 07-30-2013, 02:26 PM   #30
Noriceplease
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114146
What I Drive: 2013 SG SE 5SP

FF Reputation: 0 Noriceplease Newbie
Quote:

Untill the brz sti comes out.... But the st wasn't made to be a straight line car no front wheel drive car is have you ever drivin an st around corners it's quite sensual

Bookmarks & Social Networks