Does anyone have the Clutch Masters Stage 3 clutch? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-27-2013, 03:56 PM   #1
OhioFocusChick
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 101077
What I Drive: 2001 Milano Red Honda Prelude

FF Reputation: 1 OhioFocusChick Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Does anyone have the Clutch Masters Stage 3 clutch? edit: or LUK Clutch?

I'm about to put a new clutch in my '04 SVT and my fiance is trying to talk me into getting the Clutch Masters stage 3 kit (including flywheel, t/o bearing, and slave cyl). Does anyone have this in their SVTF? I'm a little apprehensive since I'm used to the stock clutch and the stage 3 kit is very expensive. I'm worried I won't like the way my car drives with the stage 3. Will it be difficult to drive in downtown traffic? Also, will the aftermarket clutch last longer than OEM (it won't be raced, just regular driving)?

Last edited by OhioFocusChick; 07-28-2013 at 06:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2013, 05:04 PM   #2
Floodyou76
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105749
What I Drive: 2002 SVT

FF Reputation: 2 Floodyou76 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
why would you need a stage 3? unless your boosted, its just a waste of money. A stage 1 will be fine and drives pretty much like stock but with a alum. flywheel, gets going a little better
Old 07-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #3
OhioFocusChick
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Yeah, I agree, and I feel it's probably overkill, but I wanted to come on here and get some opinions. My car is not boosted, it's mostly stock, and it's my daily driver. Would the CM Stage 1 be a good, user friendly, long-lasting clutch? My SVT is the first manual car I've owned and this is my first time ever having to replace a clutch.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:26 PM   #4
Floodyou76
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105749
What I Drive: 2002 SVT

FF Reputation: 2 Floodyou76 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
well if you want longest lastest, stay with oem (luk), but cm stg 1 will add a little sportiness with the lightweight flywheel.

but longest lasting and cheapest: oem replacement
Old 07-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #5
macdiesel
I used to drive this

Fan#: 31579
What I Drive: 2010 mazdaspeed3

FF Reputation: 21 macdiesel Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
I have the cm stage 3 with the lwfw. Waste of money? Not really. I dd my car and track it alot so I wanted something that could handle the track. I'm not boosted either. It grabs waaaay better than stock. Another thing to be mindful off is the pedal pressure is significantly firmer than oem, so if you do a lot of stop and go your left leg will get sore. happened a few times in my car, left leg fell asleep. Its expensive and I don't regret it, then again it is my car. I wouldn't put this set up in my wifes car. The stage one is comparable to stock.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:31 PM   #6
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 47 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
HERE is a link to our SVT clutch review thread, has lots of great info.

I personally went with a the stock OEM Luk clutch kit which you can get from 300-450 bucks depending on where you get it from. It comes with everything you need. I was going to go with a lightwieght flywheel but I couldn't get any for the SVT without it being a 6-8 week wait. Now that being said you can still get a clutch master kit like your looking at that comes with the clutch and those are in stock at most places. Trying to buy just the flywheel is where you'll have to wait. I was going to pair a stock clutch with a flywheel but due to cost and wait time I ended up just going with the OEM one. Good luck on what ever you decide. Personally I would have bought the Center Force clutch kit if it wasn't a billion dollars. I have that clutch on my 01' with over 100k mi on it still going strong with lots of abuse and track time on it.

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 07-28-2013, 03:35 PM   #7
thehubster
Focus Addict

Fan#: 46763
What I Drive: 2002 Blue Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 2 thehubster Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I have one and let me tell you it grabs like you would not believe. I will say that i kind of wish i had gotten stage two instead because i dont do a lot of track stuff. if you haven't changed your motor mounts recently it will probably kill them pretty quickly. it did mine because it pulls so hard.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:46 PM   #8
OhioFocusChick
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

When you say it grabs hard do you mean I'm going to be stalling my car all the time when taking off? I've heard that there's very little room for slipping with the higher stage clutches, it's either engaged or disengaged. Is this correct? I haven't been driving stick very long and I don't want to pay a ton of money for something that is just going to frustrate me. I'm assuming the motor mounts are the original ones by looking but I have no way of knowing for sure if/when they've been changed.

EDIT: I'm beginning to think it would be best if I get the LUK OEM kit. Mainly because I'm not too excited about paying almost $2k in parts alone for something that I'm afraid I will dislike driving (it is supposed to be my car after all, he just likes to drive it too). My new question is: Should I go for the dual mass flywheel or is there something better that is compatible with the LUK clutch? I'm getting down to crunch time on this decision and it's giving me a headache lol. >.<

Thanks so much to all who have replied to this thread. =)

Last edited by OhioFocusChick; 07-28-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:11 AM   #9
macdiesel
I used to drive this

Fan#: 31579
What I Drive: 2010 mazdaspeed3

FF Reputation: 21 macdiesel Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
The stage four is more on/ off. Not so bad with the stage 3. i wanted a stage four and karl at massive talked me out of it, he's like, "you do not want stage four if you sit in traffic". Best bet would be a oem type replacement. Most people that even consider upgrading the clutch, have higher hp, track the car or race it .
Old 07-29-2013, 05:35 PM   #10
shananigans89
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84576
What I Drive: 04 red 3dr SVT, 04 mazda 3, 04 R6

FF Reputation: 1 shananigans89 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
i have the CM stage 3 full kit, but i havent been able to get it installed :( i just happened to meet another SVT owner local to me and he was selling it. i bought the stage 3 because my SVT is my car, and no one else's. ill learn to live with it. plus, i want to start taking the car to a track, i just have to find one locally first. however, from the many months worth of research i've done, i'd say if you want fun still mixed with daily driving, get the stage 1 or stage 2 with the lightweight flywheel.

its really a matter of personal preference i think. if you want longevity, get the OEM or the 1. more fun typically = more money.

**FYI** i know i'm not able to install the clutch kit myself, so i called a local shop i trust and explained what i wanted done. they quoted me ~$850 ish just in labor cost to install the whole kit.

hope this helps
K&N Typhoon SRI, Magstar 8.5mm plug wires, Denzo Iridium plugs, all VF Eng poly motor mounts, 2.5" Dominant Eng HFC & flex pipe, Trubendz 2.5" exhst w/ Borla muffler no resonator, SCT Xcal3 with Tom's Tune, CFM 67mm TB

Bookmarks & Social Networks