2012 Ford Focus SE Hatchback - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace



Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2013, 06:18 PM   #11
2.0 Focus
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Fan#: 94292
Location: Toronto, Canada, Canada
What I Drive: 2007 White Focus

Posts: 61
FF Reputation: 0 2.0 Focus Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightykeys View Post
Hey Everyone,

So got my first car, the focus and I'm loving it.
I have been looking into adding stuff to it (rims, air intake, exhausts etc)
and im looking for some feedback on whats good on the market for what i want.

I've done some research into air intakes and from what I've gathered cold air intakes seem to be the best option for better performance (colder air, better air to fuel ratio),
If you disagree let me know
If you have any cold air intakes you know of that are good let me know

I've also looked into performance chips but they do not have them for 2012 and newer, does any one know if they will come out in the near future?

Have you used plastidip on your cars? is it any good?
the only thing that bothers me with it is it peeling off.

Thanks for your feedback :D

I got a picture of my car and also rims i was looking at.
Hopefully the pictures got added..
Air intakes or ram air intakes do nothing on 21'st century cars. You will not gain horsepower and most likely you will only loose some by sucking hot air from the engine or starving the engine of air at full throttle. The only thing that the cold air intake will do is make more noise. And if it ever floods where you live you are very likely to suck in water and hydro lock your engine (dead).

The large rims that you posted will only make the ride more uncomfortable and possibly alter handling in a negative way. Apart from looks they do nothing.

Putting a "sport exhaust" will most likely not gain you a single horsepower. The only thing it will do is make your four cylinder obnoxiously noisy. Getting rid of the catalytic converter is the only thing that will realistically reduce back pressure and possibly increase horsepower, but you will fail emissions.

Chipping a car will most likely end the engine/transmission life early. Its not a miracle that some guy in a basement or even a large company can magically squeeze horsepower and responsiveness out of a car without making something wear out before its time.

Ford spends a billion dollars developing a new car model, trust them that the car is build to achieve the best of all worlds from handling, performance , comfort and fuel efficiency.

Plastidip is safe to use on your car with minor background knowledge on it, look it up on youtube for more info.

Assuming you want to modify your car in the ways listed you are between 17-25. You will attract attention, some positive from the same age group, some negative from police and actual car enthusiasts because of the stupid exhaust which does nothing but irritate others around you that don't really want to listen to the 4 pot rice can.

If you want some actual improvements leave your rims alone and get some better performance tread, then move on to brakes/suspension upgrades.
2.0 Focus is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-27-2013, 06:23 PM   #12
dyn085
That Guy
 
dyn085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 98047
Location: Fayetteville, NC
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Posts: 11,868
FF Reputation: 46 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.0 Focus View Post
Air intakes or ram air intakes do nothing on 21'st century cars. You will not gain horsepower and most likely you will only loose some by sucking hot air from the engine or starving the engine of air at full throttle. The only thing that the cold air intake will do is make more noise. And if it ever floods where you live you are very likely to suck in water and hydro lock your engine (dead).

The large rims that you posted will only make the ride more uncomfortable and possibly alter handling in a negative way. Apart from looks they do nothing.

Putting a "sport exhaust" will most likely not gain you a single horsepower. The only thing it will do is make your four cylinder obnoxiously noisy. Getting rid of the catalytic converter is the only thing that will realistically reduce back pressure and possibly increase horsepower, but you will fail emissions.

Chipping a car will most likely end the engine/transmission life early. Its not a miracle that some guy in a basement or even a large company can magically squeeze horsepower and responsiveness out of a car without making something wear out before its time.

Ford spends a billion dollars developing a new car model, trust them that the car is build to achieve the best of all worlds from handling, performance , comfort and fuel efficiency.

Plastidip is safe to use on your car with minor background knowledge on it, look it up on youtube for more info.

Assuming you want to modify your car in the ways listed you are between 17-25. You will attract attention, some positive from the same age group, some negative from police and actual car enthusiasts because of the stupid exhaust which does nothing but irritate others around you that don't really want to listen to the 4 pot rice can.

If you want some actual improvements leave your rims alone and get some better performance tread, then move on to brakes/suspension upgrades.
From the very first sentence you proved that you know nothing. Surprisingly though, it got even worse from there on out.

You need to find a better source of information to learn from.
__________________

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
dyn085 is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:23 PM   #13
2.0 Focus
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Fan#: 94292
Location: Toronto, Canada, Canada
What I Drive: 2007 White Focus

Posts: 61
FF Reputation: 0 2.0 Focus Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
From the very first sentence you proved that you know nothing. Surprisingly though, it got even worse from there on out.

You need to find a better source of information to learn from.
You haven't disproved any of the things I said nor gave any reasons for them to be wrong. So as from your own statement." From the very first sentence you proved that you know nothing". Prove me wrong if you think anything I said is false.
2.0 Focus is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:27 PM   #14
dyn085
That Guy
 
dyn085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 98047
Location: Fayetteville, NC
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Posts: 11,868
FF Reputation: 46 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.0 Focus View Post
You haven't disproved any of the things I said nor gave any reasons for them to be wrong. So as from your own statement." From the very first sentence you proved that you know nothing". Prove me wrong if you think anything I said is false.
Ok, go look at my dyno thread.

Case-closed.
__________________

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
dyn085 is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:28 PM   #15
jdubhack
I WILL correct you.
 
jdubhack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Fan#: 103056
Location: Edmond, OK
What I Drive: 2014 SGM Fusion Ti

Posts: 5,321
FF Reputation: 37 jdubhack Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
2012 Ford Focus SE Hatchback

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.0 Focus View Post
You haven't disproved any of the things I said nor gave any reasons for them to be wrong. So as from your own statement." From the very first sentence you proved that you know nothing". Prove me wrong if you think anything I said is false.
BWAHAHA!




You, sir, are the one responsible with the burden of proof. There are countless threads that back up his positions. Dynos that prove HP gain and exhaust dynos too. You've got to be kidding. Are you drunk?
__________________


<>< Gal. 6:14
April 2013 HOTM
2013 Ford Fun Weekend: Show Class Winner
jdubhack is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:23 PM   #16
dyn085
That Guy
 
dyn085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 98047
Location: Fayetteville, NC
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Posts: 11,868
FF Reputation: 46 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.0 Focus View Post
Air intakes or ram air intakes do nothing on 21'st century cars. You will not gain horsepower and most likely you will only loose some by sucking hot air from the engine or starving the engine of air at full throttle. The only thing that the cold air intake will do is make more noise. And if it ever floods where you live you are very likely to suck in water and hydro lock your engine (dead).

The large rims that you posted will only make the ride more uncomfortable and possibly alter handling in a negative way. Apart from looks they do nothing.

Putting a "sport exhaust" will most likely not gain you a single horsepower. The only thing it will do is make your four cylinder obnoxiously noisy. Getting rid of the catalytic converter is the only thing that will realistically reduce back pressure and possibly increase horsepower, but you will fail emissions.

Chipping a car will most likely end the engine/transmission life early. Its not a miracle that some guy in a basement or even a large company can magically squeeze horsepower and responsiveness out of a car without making something wear out before its time.

Ford spends a billion dollars developing a new car model, trust them that the car is build to achieve the best of all worlds from handling, performance , comfort and fuel efficiency.

Plastidip is safe to use on your car with minor background knowledge on it, look it up on youtube for more info.

Assuming you want to modify your car in the ways listed you are between 17-25. You will attract attention, some positive from the same age group, some negative from police and actual car enthusiasts because of the stupid exhaust which does nothing but irritate others around you that don't really want to listen to the 4 pot rice can.

If you want some actual improvements leave your rims alone and get some better performance tread, then move on to brakes/suspension upgrades.
For a more professional answer, I should probably recommend that you look around the site some more. Obviously you don't have a 2012, so I can't really expect you to know much about the performance of them. How you draw the relationship between the 2012 Focus and every-single '21st Century car' is irrelevant, the fact is that some manufacturers vehicles will make power and some will not. Unfortunately for your side of the argument-ours do. And if you don't believe it, all you have to do is go look in the Mk3 Performance section. Here is a link, to save you the trouble-http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/f...play.php?f=101

As for wheels, there is a reason that Ford offers a larger wheel and suspension package. It is for better performance. Trying to say that it "will only make the ride more uncomfortable and possibly alter handling in a negative way. Apart from looks they do nothing" is yet again presumptuous and not necessarily true. I have a set of 18" wheels that are lighter than the stock 17's, so I have less unsprung weight and in-turn yes, better performance.

Ford spends a billion dollars developing a new car model, trust them that the car is build to achieve the best of all worlds from handling, performance , comfort and fuel efficiency. I seriously had to bring out this entire section. Do you honestly believe that Ford went to the extent of maximizing every single aspect you listed here? I would seriously hope not. Ford is a business and would like to be profitable in selling their product. To maximize every single aspect of the car would financially bankrupt them. They get the vehicle to a good median, and then they offer it to the public. They compromise everywhere, because optimizing everything would not be a financially beneficial move. Especially from the compact segment.

You are correct about plastidip. Good job.

Assuming you want to modify your car in the ways listed you are between 17-25. You will attract attention, some positive from the same age group, some negative from police and actual car enthusiasts because of the stupid exhaust which does nothing but irritate others around you that don't really want to listen to the 4 pot rice can. <---All of this is stereotyping and full of ignorance and arrogance. The difference between arrogance and confidence is the actual amount of ability/importance. Your post has shown that you lack both.

Your final advice of leaving his wheels alone and focusing on tires/suspension could be decent advice, but unfortunately you already stand behind the fact that "Ford spends a billion dollars developing a new car model, trust them that the car is build to achieve the best of all worlds from handling, performance , comfort and fuel efficiency." So whether intentional or not, you have now contradicted yourself.

Ultimately, your advice and opinion is pretty bad. I didn't realize that you needed it broken down to this level, but hopefully this helps you understand a little bit better.
__________________

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
dyn085 is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:23 PM   #17
2.0 Focus
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Fan#: 94292
Location: Toronto, Canada, Canada
What I Drive: 2007 White Focus

Posts: 61
FF Reputation: 0 2.0 Focus Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
Ok, go look at my dyno thread.

Case-closed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubhack View Post
BWAHAHA!You, sir, are the one responsible with the burden of proof. There are countless threads that back up his positions. Dynos that prove HP gain and exhaust dynos too. You've got to be kidding. Are you drunk?
You need to have a gain of 20 horses out of the 2.0L non turbo engine to realistically feel it. Most of these cai's will give you a measly 5 hp, exhaust maybe 5-10 and make you car noisy as hell.

None of these systems, and specifically the cai are tested for the vehicle. What about sitting in traffic, how hot will the air going in get with an open cone filter? What about driving though water? When do those horses kick in, at 80% throttle? Who drives with the gas full on all the time? If the OP is looking at making his focus into a track car yeah its a start, but I doubt this is the intention. More the OP just wants some upgrades to his car, there are BETTER ways to spend the cash then for 10 hp.

If you judge by the fact that the OP is from the north in Canada you would realize that the roads are bad, the winters are bad and large temperature variations. I'd be putting money into making the car handle the cold rough road climate better.


And no I didn't look into finding your dyno thread. But I'll assume with careful installation you squeezed 7 hp from the CAI, 8 from the exhaust. Worth the $300-$500 you spent and voided ford warranty (if you have it)?
2.0 Focus is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:36 PM   #18
dyn085
That Guy
 
dyn085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 98047
Location: Fayetteville, NC
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Posts: 11,868
FF Reputation: 46 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
So now you've changed your story from 'no gain or even a loss' to 'not enough gain'.





__________________

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
dyn085 is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:47 PM   #19
jdubhack
I WILL correct you.
 
jdubhack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Fan#: 103056
Location: Edmond, OK
What I Drive: 2014 SGM Fusion Ti

Posts: 5,321
FF Reputation: 37 jdubhack Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.0 Focus View Post
You need to have a gain of 20 horses out of the 2.0L non turbo engine to realistically feel it. Most of these cai's will give you a measly 5 hp, exhaust maybe 5-10 and make you car noisy as hell.

None of these systems, and specifically the cai are tested for the vehicle. What about sitting in traffic, how hot will the air going in get with an open cone filter? What about driving though water? When do those horses kick in, at 80% throttle? Who drives with the gas full on all the time? If the OP is looking at making his focus into a track car yeah its a start, but I doubt this is the intention. More the OP just wants some upgrades to his car, there are BETTER ways to spend the cash then for 10 hp.

If you judge by the fact that the OP is from the north in Canada you would realize that the roads are bad, the winters are bad and large temperature variations. I'd be putting money into making the car handle the cold rough road climate better.


And no I didn't look into finding your dyno thread. But I'll assume with careful installation you squeezed 7 hp from the CAI, 8 from the exhaust. Worth the $300-$500 you spent and voided ford warranty (if you have it)?
I'll address your statements in the order they appear:

1. That's an opinion and to base your argument off of one is either extremely arrogant or extremely ignorant. You choose.

2. Really? None of the systems designed for the Mk3 platform are tested for the platform they've been made for? Really. So they just throw a bunch of parts together and hope they work for a specific vehicle? WOW. My mind is blown. I can't imagine, given this new revelation of yours, that there is any reason for manufacturers to designate part numbers for different vehicles. Shouldn't they all just work then? Really.

3. If that was your original point, you should have just made it instead of going on about with your misinformation and incorrect statements.

4. Voided warranty? Say what? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here, because I'm a nice guy like that, and take this to mean that: if the aftermarket component can be determined to cause a problem the components associated with the aftermarket parts will have a voided warranty. You can't possibly think that a CAI or exhaust voids the entire car warranty - can you? Don't answer that.
__________________


<>< Gal. 6:14
April 2013 HOTM
2013 Ford Fun Weekend: Show Class Winner
jdubhack is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:55 PM   #20
dyn085
That Guy
 
dyn085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 98047
Location: Fayetteville, NC
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Posts: 11,868
FF Reputation: 46 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubhack View Post
I'll address your statements in the order they appear:

1. That's an opinion and to base your argument off of one is either extremely arrogant or extremely ignorant. You choose.

2. Really? None of the systems designed for the Mk3 platform are tested for the platform they've been made for? Really. So they just throw a bunch of parts together and hope they work for a specific vehicle? WOW. My mind is blown. I can't imagine, given this new revelation of yours, that there is any reason for manufacturers to designate part numbers for different vehicles. Shouldn't they all just work then? Really.

3. If that was your original point, you should have just made it instead of going on about with your misinformation and incorrect statements.

4. Voided warranty? Say what? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here, because I'm a nice guy like that, and take this to mean that: if the aftermarket component can be determined to cause a problem the components associated with the aftermarket parts will have a voided warranty. You can't possibly think that a CAI or exhaust voids the entire car warranty - can you? Don't answer that.
__________________

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
dyn085 is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:05 PM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information : Site Map

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.